Pop Up IFR

You deserve some ball busting for not reading the sectional better, but it sounds like you did the right thing under the circumstances, arrived safely, and had the correct instinct to pick up IFR. In my (extremely limited) experience, ATC would have been happy to help you, and you can add that to your future bag of tricks - and filing IFR doesn't need to be an "out" - you can do it any time.

And for the record, I think any student pilot could have made the same mistake. :cool:

0e1e9796.jpg

I've made similar mistakes being task saturated in an airplane and not been able to multitask focusing on small details of the chart and fly at the same time, but you shouldn't let yourself hide behind that "any student pilot could have made this mistake" comment. Using pilotage (which predates magenta lines by 100 years) we can see that DBQ's north south runway is twice as long (aside from the intersecting runway you mentioned), the largish city (Dubuque) is 4 miles north (not a small town 2 miles east like Maquoketa), it lies in the southwest corner of the intersection of two major interstates, and the interstate passes through the east side of town (next to the Mississippi river - a giant and important geographic landmark), not the west (in the case of Maquoketa). You should always use as many geographic features as you can see outside to identify the airport (i.e. not just "where's the intersecting runway?" but "where's the other interstate and why is that town so small and in the wrong place?" - you can figure the latter out from further away). The number and orientation of the runways isn't the only thing you should be able to glean from glancing at the sectional (whether on paper or on Foreflight), and if it is... you're not getting enough bang for your $8.95. :)

I've made similar mistakes being task saturated in an airplane and not been able to multitask focusing on small details of the chart and fly at the same time, but you shouldn't let yourself hide behind that "any student pilot could have made this mistake" comment. Using pilotage (which predates magenta lines by 100 years) we can see that DBQ's north south runway is twice as long (aside from the intersecting runway you mentioned), the largish city (Dubuque) is 4 miles north (not a small town 2 miles east like Maquoketa), it lies in the southwest corner of the intersection of two major interstates, and the interstate passes through the east side of town (next to the Mississippi river - a giant and important geographic landmark), not the west (in the case of Maquoketa). You should always use as many geographic features as you can see outside to identify the airport (i.e. not just "where's the intersecting runway?" but "where's the other interstate and why is that town so small and in the wrong place?" - you can figure the latter out from further away). The number and orientation of the runways isn't the only thing you should be able to glean from glancing at the sectional (whether on paper or on Foreflight), and if it is... you're not getting enough bang for your $8.95.

Next time you're on top of a scattered/broken layer see how far out you can pick landmarks. All I really had to rely on was a dancing CDI on a 360 bearing to the DBQ VOR and an interstate below me. There is a similar highway that runs North of the Maquoketa airport as well.

But yes, totally agree it was bone head. I felt in my gut I had a few miles ahead of me, afterall I was still indicating centered to DBQ with a TO flag. I should not have been so quick to just assume the first field I saw (to my West, to boot) was my destination.

Although I have little time in actual, I would have felt comfortable shooting an ILS in those conditions. At the time I obviously wasn't sure how to set myself up for an approach with Center while in the air. I should have just stayed on top and waited for a TO/FROM flip. If I was trapped on top at that point there was clear skies not 25 miles to the West.

It was a good learning experience, and next time I will have a better understanding of my options. Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

To answer the question of how to get a pop up IFR:

You: "Approach N12345, I'm unable to maintain VFR. Request IFR to (destination)"

Me: "Cleared to (destination) via radar vectors, fly heading XXX, maintain XXX"

:)

Video here.

Back