Pop Up IFR

Oh, wow, just re-read this. This is an INSTRUCTOR talking. This is a CFI who is LOST with no GPS or DME. If I were of a less stable bent, I would go in to the attic and hang myself. Because this guy, or someone just like him (through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN) will be sitting next to you or me soon. It's not their fault, but the system is BROKEN.

While, I have a paltry few flight hours compared to you, I too learned to fly IMC by NDB to minimums circle to land approaches and flew with sketchy at best equipment and relied entirely on pilotage in VMC. I feel to a degree your pain. Go easy on the OP. I'm telling you, those are dying skills. In fact, consider them dead. I've seen pilots VFR in CAVU declare emergencies when they lost their GPS 8 miles from their departure airport. No Gyro approaches? What are those? I'm not referring to the OP in this, but it is the cult of the magenta line (or so I assume its magenta, I have about 20 hours in a Garmin 430 aircraft, didn't use it) This is a teachable moment in the value of low tech options that have worked perfectly for 50 years.

VFR day: Student pilot, initial call to inform me they are lost, over a lake, and "almost out of fuel."

Didn't know how to operate a transponder (to include just hitting IDENT).

True story.

Oh, wow, just re-read this. This is an INSTRUCTOR talking. This is a CFI who is LOST with no GPS or DME. If I were of a less stable bent, I would go in to the attic and hang myself. Because this guy, or someone just like him (through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN) will be sitting next to you or me soon. It's not their fault, but the system is BROKEN.
Before you have a heart attack there old man, his profile does say he's only a ppl holder. So I assume ppl with instrument rating.

We could also probably go on about how kids these days are afraid of stalls and spins.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

But in general, I do agree.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Arrrrrrrrr. *indecipherable mutters*

gran_torino_clint_eastwood.jpg

His profile also says STL, so if he did in fact go to a pilot factory, I'd have to guess SLU. AAAAND, you're right there. You can go set him straight in PERSON!

His profile also says STL, so if he did in fact go to a pilot factory, I'd have to guess SLU. AAAAND, you're right there. You can go set him straight in PERSON!

Our quarters are literally about a hundred yards from the SLU fight line. I'm a gonna go over there and give them a piece of my mind very politely and then offer a tour. What? Does that not sound Tough?

Okay, I don't want to sound defensive here, but you need to get off your high horse. A couple things to start with. I never said I was an instructor and I never said I was lost. I said after cutting a corner in my route I was unsure of my exact distance to the next VOR. Mind you I am inexperienced in weather flying, and dodging heavy rain in an old bone stock Cessna. I had a little extra on my plate flying the plane and not worrying about doing VOR cross cuts.

As far as charts, I can navigate an iPad (the "non-magenta line" model) much faster and more efficiently than opening up a 4'x4' wrinkly sectional in a 3'x3' Cessna. I have back up paper in my flight bag if I need them as well. At no point was I illegal or even in danger to myself or anyone else. I had a flight following the entire trip, and my only real blunder was mistaking the wrong field, which took me off course for all of 30 seconds. I guess next time I have questions about making myself a better pilot I will just hold them in and hope nothing bad happens.

I don't attend SLU so your tough guy antics will do you no good there. If you really want to make a full a** of yourself I work at Lambert, we can meet up and "chat" if you want... but the parking lots are pretty dark around those parts.

Just sayin. :p

images

i didnt know Boris liked tall horses, now my wife hates horses but loves cows. but thats because most of her family were dairy farmers.
OH and this reminds me of a punch line of a joke.

Dad " so son did you jump"

Son " Yea a little.....................at first.

i didnt know Boris liked tall horses, now my wife hates horses but loves cows. but thats because most of her family were dairy farmers.
OH and this reminds me of a punch line of a joke.

Dad " so son did you jump"

Son " Yea a little.....................at first.

attachment.php

Yeah you're right I'm being a jerk. Disregard!

Meh... my morning coffee buzz had not fully kicked in.

Carry on.

Okay, I don't want to sound defensive here, but you need to get off your high horse. A couple things to start with. I never said I was an instructor and I never said I was lost. I said after cutting a corner in my route I was unsure of my exact distance to the next VOR. Mind you I am inexperienced in weather flying, and dodging heavy rain in an old bone stock Cessna. I had a little extra on my plate flying the plane and not worrying about doing VOR cross cuts.

As far as charts, I can navigate an iPad (the "non-magenta line" model) much faster and more efficiently than opening up a 4'x4' wrinkly sectional in a 3'x3' Cessna. I have back up paper in my flight bag if I need them as well. At no point was I illegal or even in danger to myself or anyone else. I had a flight following the entire trip, and my only real blunder was mistaking the wrong field, which took me off course for all of 30 seconds. I guess next time I have questions about making myself a better pilot I will just hold them in and hope nothing bad happens.

I don't attend SLU so your tough guy antics will do you no good there. If you really want to make a full a** of yourself I work at Lambert, we can meet up and "chat" if you want... but the parking lots are pretty dark around those parts.

Just sayin. :p

I'd be careful inviting Boris to an unlit parking lot at night. Not only would he show up, but he'll be expecting something for his trouble.

Cash, ass, or grass!

Well, I work in the aviation industry. So cash is out.

Did I mention I work in the aviation industry? Grass is out.

The other option is not my bag of fun. And now I'll be looking over my shoulder in the dark Lambert parking lots. :(

Just so we're clear, I based my reply on the OP not being a CFI or CFII , but essentially a wet ink Instrument pilot with zero actual experience which seems to be the case. Is a GPS/DME or other fancy equipment needed in VMC? Nope. If its my very first encounter with actual, let alone pop up IFR, ya know, ever, I'd have the spidey senses up too.

I detest reliance on GPS with VFR pilots and firmly believe experience in actual should be a pre requisite for an instrument certificate. Having said that, it isn't. As to the old school method of flying comment I made. Yes people know how to do it. Think of it more as Latin is a "dead language". Your average pilot isn't proficient in flying PAR, NDB or no gyro approaches.

If you think that you need 4' to open a sectional to the part you need, then you are doing it wrong. It takes at most 8"x8" or about the size of your Ipad. Also it does not need a battery. I am not nocking the Ipad or what EFB's have given to people. But map skills are very important.

Who got on deck safely and is here to tell the story of how he F'd up? OP. In the big picture, I think that's a win. Could things have been handled a bit differently, and resulted in a less stressful flight? Yes. Did he/she successfully tie the takeoff vs landings counter? Yes. I'd be the first guy in the room to admit that I have done some dumb things just generally being cluto flying around, but like our trusty OP, I also reflect on them, seek advice, and better myself next time. The crusty old /A pilots here (myself not being crusty, but being a similar /I no gucci kinda guy) have a point, but you did what you needed to do to get on deck, regardless of the cool factor involved. Is there a lesson to be learned? Sure.

If it's not G1000, it's just not safe.

And should be made illegal by congressional mandate.

:D

Was someone seriously suggesting that, unsure of position in marginal conditions and equipped with iPad and GPS, it is better to swing a single VOR around and find intersecting radials rather than using the moving map tablet on your knee? iPads are FANTASTIC technology for situational awareness and giving you the edge in a tough spot. If you have one then for god's sake use it. By all means it is extremely advisable to be proficient in flying VFR with a compass and a truck stop map, but deliberately ignoring modern technology is dumb.

Back