Plan to enroll in AMT program

Naluryder

This fall I plan to enroll in Aeronautical Technology Program at Tarrant County College here in Fort Worth ,TX. I went in yesterday and took a tour of the facility. It was really nice and clean the dean gave me the tour and he was very enthuesiatic about the whole program. The program here is suppose to be one of the best in the country. It's going to take me three years because I'll be attending nights. Because I'm an aircraft junky..love airplanes..I figure might as well learn all I can about them. I've been an air traffic controller, production controller for maint.in my Air Guard Unit ,worked for Airtran Airways for a year as an airport agent, and now have my PPL. Presently still in the Air Force,now as a reservist. Man I've been around ACFT all my life..I need to get the innner workings of them now. I'm really excited !!

Once I have my A/P then I can fix my own plane or others ..I'll be well rounded. Any how can someone in this forum give me a rough dollar amount I'll be looking to spend on my shop tools required for the program?? I would greatly appreciate it.. thanks.

I will be visiting this forum in the future for guidense.

If I recall the school should give you a required tool list when you enroll. When I went thru school all I carried was a small tool box and I doubt I spent more then $250.00 on tools. Of coarse we were still stitching fabric wings with a needle and thread when I went thru school so the tooling requirements probably have changed some in 20 years. Since each school has its own way of operating you may want to call them and inquire about your questions. My guess is the tools will be the cheapest part of your training.

Good luck with your future career!!!

If I recall the school should give you a required tool list when you enroll. When I went thru school all I carried was a small tool box and I doubt I spent more then $250.00 on tools. Of coarse we were still stitching fabric wings with a needle and thread when I went thru school so the tooling requirements probably have changed some in 20 years. Since each school has its own way of operating you may want to call them and inquire about your questions. My guess is the tools will be the cheapest part of your training.

Good luck with your future career!!!

Thanks AAJetMech ! I did get a handout with a list of tools to purchase. I wonder if there is anyone in this forum that is a current student that could give me a ball park figure? Well maybe I should look on the info boards at the school to see if anyone is selling a used set? Hey I like you avatar wing patch..fighters baby!!! I love f15s..

Thanks AAJetMech ! I did get a handout with a list of tools to purchase. I wonder if there is anyone in this forum that is a current student that could give me a ball park figure? Well maybe I should look on the info boards at the school to see if anyone is selling a used set? Hey I like you avatar wing patch..fighters baby!!! I love f15s..

One word: Craftsman.

Don't get sucked into buying the really pricey stuff i.e Snap-On, Proto, etc...until you can afford to. I've been an A&P going on ten years, and have only needed to purchase Snap-On tools two or three times.

Although do allow yourself to purchase certain tools you won't find just anywhere. Your instructor at school should be able to guide you in finding these items.

The school I attended included the "basic" toolbox with the tuition. You may want to find out if that is an option in your case.

BTW, congrats on your decision to pursue your A&P License. I'm sure your enthusiasm and your experience in aviation will come in handy in your studies. Make sure you share that knowledge with others, believe me, that's how most people really learn in this field.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

AL

Don't get sucked into buying the really pricey stuff i.e Snap-On, Proto, etc...until you can afford to. I've been an A&P going on ten years, and have only needed to purchase Snap-On tools two or three times.

On the other hand take advantage of Snap-on student discounts after you know this is for you. Most tools are 40-60% off for students. I do have to say my everyday tools are Snap-on and I wouldn't go any other way. I paid $700 for what would have been about $2k in tools from them. The rest of my tools are mostly Craftsman and Harbor Freight.

If it is a tool you are going to beat up, go to Harbor Freight. They are the epitome of cheap tools. Do be careful what you buy there though as you need higher quality in some tools that you get.

In my honest opinion wait until classes start and then purchase tools. Get what you need only when you need it.

Last remember tool brand's are like car brands, everyone has their own opinion and preference.

One word: Craftsman.

Although do allow yourself to purchase certain tools you won't find just anywhere. Your instructor at school should be able to guide you in finding these items.

AL

I agree. Besides a few specialty tools we've had to find over the years for specific jobs all I have are Craftsman tools. Not the best but they work. Most of what I bought in school carried over into regular work. I recently had to find a 1/8" combo wrench and Grainger was the only place besides Snapon that had it. The proto at Grainger was $8.00 and Snapon was $21.00.

Hey I like you avatar wing patch..fighters baby!!! I love f15s..

I belonged to the 474 Tactical Fighter Wing at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, Nv back in the early 80's. We had three squadrons of F-16's at the time!!! I love the 15'a also!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback and advice AAjetmech,AZBigDog, and Polarbear. I'm very excited and looking forward to starting this Fall. I will surely seek you guys out for help on homewroke. I respect aircraft mechanics cause if it were not for you..our planes would be grounded. I enjoy talking to our mechanics at my c-130 reserve unit and also at my flight school. It's cool to know the inner workings of the acft.

Aloha..

Welcome to TCC!

I finished up there last Dec. I did a mix of nights and days. Started nights then added a few days here and there when I could, 2 1/2 years. Remember you don't always have to take the classes in the order they want you to; its nice to stay in the order they give you as it gurantees you the spot in class, you can also add a class here and there. Like when you have one class a night, you could do a half semester class like compostites and get it out of the way.

GREAT PROGRAM!!!
Some of the instructors are so-so but for the most part they have a wealth of knowledge there.

TOOLS:
CRAFTSMAN!!!
I think I spent about $600 when I initially bought the tools and probably another $200 in other stuff the next few years. You can do the tools for less than $250 but you probably won't have the same warranty and such.

If you've got the money (or GI Bill stuff / scholarships), use the Student Discounts from Snap-On, MAC, Matco, etc etc

Good luck, PM me if you have any more questions.
I stop by up there occasionally.

Welcome to TCC!

I finished up there last Dec. I did a mix of nights and days. Started nights then added a few days here and there when I could, 2 1/2 years. Remember you don't always have to take the classes in the order they want you to; its nice to stay in the order they give you as it gurantees you the spot in class, you can also add a class here and there. Like when you have one class a night, you could do a half semester class like compostites and get it out of the way.

GREAT PROGRAM!!!
Some of the instructors are so-so but for the most part they have a wealth of knowledge there.

TOOLS:
CRAFTSMAN!!!
I think I spent about $600 when I initially bought the tools and probably another $200 in other stuff the next few years. You can do the tools for less than $250 but you probably won't have the same warranty and such.

If you've got the money (or GI Bill stuff / scholarships), use the Student Discounts from Snap-On, MAC, Matco, etc etc

Good luck, PM me if you have any more questions.
I stop by up there occasionally.

Right on..thanks for the scoops. I stoped by today to p/u an application at the addmisions office and asked about G.I bill process. I also went by the schoolhouse to ask Terri if I should purchase my tools at the book store? and one of the instructors happen to walked by and advised me to see if I can also use my G.I bill to purchase my tools? and to find out first before buying it. He also suggested I not buy from the bookstore cause it may take a while to get some of the tools. He said to go to Sears. Then in the future I can gradually start buying more top quality tools. Hey I'll be PM you in the near future. Thanks..

Good luck to you. I think I spent about $600 on my first set from sears. Definately the way to start out. I hope you enjoy it.

Good luck to you. I think I spent about $600 on my first set from sears. Definately the way to start out. I hope you enjoy it.
It's so cool to know that there are people like you and the others that have done what I'm planning to do. I feel that it will make me a well rounded pilot. Eventhough fall is a bit aways I should start shopping around for my tools so I can get pricing and hopefully get a good deal? Thanks Lnewby..

Right on..thanks for the scoops. I stoped by today to p/u an application at the addmisions office and asked about G.I bill process. I also went by the schoolhouse to ask Terri if I should purchase my tools at the book store? and one of the instructors happen to walked by and advised me to see if I can also use my G.I bill to purchase my tools? and to find out first before buying it. He also suggested I not buy from the bookstore cause it may take a while to get some of the tools. He said to go to Sears. Then in the future I can gradually start buying more top quality tools. Hey I'll be PM you in the near future. Thanks..

Yeah, big negative on the bookstore:banghead: unless you have to get it there (last minute or no one else has something). Get your multimeter from Grainger (unless they changed it, which I think they did) and your tools from where ever is close to you that you like. I chose Sears cause I can replace them ANYWHERE in the US.

Good Luck and PM anytime you want...

Yeah, big negative on the bookstore:banghead: unless you have to get it there (last minute or no one else has something). Get your multimeter from Grainger (unless they changed it, which I think they did) and your tools from where ever is close to you that you like. I chose Sears cause I can replace them ANYWHERE in the US.

Good Luck and PM anytime you want...
Sears here I come..

I agree, I went to A&P school 5 years ago. Craftsman are the best to get in school ( and out as well, with out having to spend your paycheck on tools) and Craftsman has a nice PRO set that you can get a few items from. They are better then the standard craftsman for Aviation work. All in all I spent about $1200, but thats also because I bought 2 other tool boxes as well. So I would say plan for about $600 in tools if you want a decent set in school

I agree, I went to A&P school 5 years ago. Craftsman are the best to get in school ( and out as well, with out having to spend your paycheck on tools) and Craftsman has a nice PRO set that you can get a few items from. They are better then the standard craftsman for Aviation work. All in all I spent about $1200, but thats also because I bought 2 other tool boxes as well. So I would say plan for about $600 in tools if you want a decent set in school
Thanks wildwezul1!!

Nalu

Back