Piper Lands on Ice-Covered Lake Huron - Straits of Mackinac

tomokc

http://woodtv.com/2014/02/17/plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-lake-huron/

A single-engine Piper set down on the ice in the Lake Huron side of the Straits of Mackinac this morning after loss of power. There were seven or eight on board (I've read seven total and seven pax so take your pick). Snowmobilers quickly arrived and transported passengers to land (it was -15 at KPLN this morning, about 20 miles SW of here).

Thank goodness the gear stayed down. Hard to say for sure, but the warmth of the engine on the ice could have been enough to melt through and put it on the bottom.

It's more than likely a media error on the passenger count. I flew there for a couple years and still keep in touch with the owner so I'll see if I can get an idea of what happened.

Cherokee 6 often has 3 across the middle for a total of 6 pax and a pilot. Could theoretically throw a lap baby in there too but they'd all have to be small and you'd probably be rolling with about 20 gallons of gas.

Cherokee 6 often has 3 across the middle for a total of 6 pax and a pilot. Could theoretically throw a lap baby in there too but they'd all have to be small and you'd probably be rolling with about 20 gallons of gas.

This. If it is like the Lance II, it can hold 7 people, with a small one in the middle of the two wingspar-seats.

Could theoretically throw a lap baby in there too but they'd all have to be small and you'd probably be rolling with about 20 gallons of gas.

Or facing the wrath of the FAA, quickly followed by the NTSB, and a "we'll take that piece of plastic for x number of days thank you."

Thank goodness the gear stayed down. Hard to say for sure, but the warmth of the engine on the ice could have been enough to melt through and put it on the bottom.

That ice up there is ridiculously think this time of year. Short of the airplane catching fire, it's going to be fine on that ice. That's why I love flying in winter in Minnesota, many different landing options! Just as long as you don't take out an ice fisherman during your roll-out. :)

Back