Pilot Uniforms and Public Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trip7

Found this article and thought this excerpt would be great for discussion:

http://wikigiz.com/2007/12/07/virgin-america-for-business-travel

Pros:
  • Plane is brand new.
  • Games, and the ability to order drinks and food from the touch screen. Internet access is supposed to be coming at some point. Interactive system lets you (break the ice) chat with the sexy lady who are sitting at the adjacent row
    icon_wink.gif
  • The seats in coach are black luxury leather and looks very comfortable.
  • Fares are cheap, for now, but look out for additional charges.
Cons:

• The pilots wear dressy-casual clothes like a leather jacket, not a professional pilot suit as is traditional for other [COLOR=#0A6AA6 ! important][COLOR=#0A6AA6 ! important]airlines[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    . Personally, I think a pilot’s formal uniform shows their professionalism and we all know that their mistake can causes lives - no jokes dude. Informal wear just comes across as sloppy and overly relaxed for the operators of a $50M airplane with 150+ people on-board.
  • $40 change fee

Anyone have a link to a picture of VA's pilot uniforms. Even those of us wearing blue shirts with our uniforms think that "casual" ain't cutting it.

I think the uniform is an important part of reminding the passengers that the pilot is not just the pilot; he is the commander, and that they (the passengers) are required to comply with his or her directives.

Kind of getting off track here, but does anyone else see a safety risk associated with the electrical outlets that are strewn about the cabin on that A320? It wouldn't take a McGyver to turn one into a powerful tazer.

They wear pretty much black polo-shirts, or maybe just black button up shirts, with a pair of wings stiched on. (non metal)

They kinda look like F.As. I don't really get why they won't just give the pilots.... a pilot uniform. It looks stupid.

But their interior looks sweet. :D

I can't remember the last time I saw the Capt. or F.O. on a flight other than maybe during boarding and seeing in through the window. People don't know and don't care. As long as they get where they're getting without out being nickel and dimed to death they could care less about the rest.

Maybe I'm just an aviation nerd or old fashioned, but to me, sharp crewmembers' uniforms are (both Air and Ground) a symbol of competence, professionalism, and authority in the finest nautical and aeronautical traditions. A tradition that spans literally hundreds of years that says "I take responsibility for the safe passage of these souls to their port of destination and the safe transport of his cargo to the fullest extent of my professional abilities."

:yeahthat: Doesn't matter what you call it, but those are very valid points! Well said, Scram, well said! :rawk:

I agree with Scramjet.

There's a reason why passengers look to the uniform and act a certain way.. and why they don't like jokes on the PA system en route.

They're nervous, and they're totally putting their lives in your hands for the next few hours or so and they know it. Seeing a polished, bright-eyed and well groomed professional attending to their passage calms them.

It's part of customer service- which is ultimately the business we're all in.

The Virgin America pilot outfit is really lame.

The crew walks up to the plane and the pilots look like they are two passengers who happen to be walking next to a group of flight attendants. They don't really look like employees of anything, especially of an airline.

2717153345_a0c60ef87f.jpg

There's a picture of the uniforms. They look horrendus. I've seen JPATS pilots better dressed than that.

Maybe I'm just an aviation nerd or old fashioned, but to me, sharp crewmembers' uniforms are (both Air and Ground) a symbol of competence, professionalism, and authority in the finest nautical and aeronautical traditions. A tradition that spans literally hundreds of years that says "I take responsibility for the safe passage of these souls to their port of destination and the safe transport of his cargo to the fullest extent of my professional abilities."

I completely agree with this.

Absolutely agree. I guess I'm old school as well in thinking the monkey suit tradition must stay.

I agree with Scramjet.

There's a reason why passengers look to the uniform and act a certain way.. and why they don't like jokes on the PA system en route.

They're nervous, and they're totally putting their lives in your hands for the next few hours or so and they know it. Seeing a polished, bright-eyed and well groomed professional attending to their passage calms them.

So what do many of you give them? Gelled-up spiky hair, no hat (cuz it'd mess up the 'do), iPod earphones in place, be-boppin down the terminal sportin a backpack and Sketchers. :whatever:

It isn't about the stripes, yo.

There was a thread in the "general" forum where a guy asked about earing holes and if it would keep him from getting a major job if someone saw empty holes during is interview. He should go to work for VA! Diamond studs would look bitchin with that mod uniform.

So what do many of you give them? Gelled-up spiky hair, no hat (cuz it'd mess up the 'do), iPod earphones in place, be-boppin down the terminal sportin a backpack and Sketchers. :whatever:

It isn't about the stripes, yo.

Speak for yourself.

I do the opposite of your entire list. In fact, everyone I've flown with in the past few months does.

:yeahthat:

Totally agree. Appearance IS important.

If you've actually worked a passenger problem in real life, notice how if you walk out like a skateboarder with epaulets brings a different reaction than if you approach the passenger with full uniform. It's night and day from first hand experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back