Pilot-Fatigue Rule May Stall

v1valarob

Pilot-Fatigue Rule May Stall After U.S. House Lawmakers Attach Conditions

By John Hughes - Apr 1, 2011 12:09 PM ET Fri Apr 01 16:09:56 GMT 2011
A U.S. rule to require more rest for airline pilots may stall under a proposal adopted by the House, according to cockpit crews, lawmakers and other plan opponents.
The 215-209 vote today in Washington requires that the Federal Aviation Administration, before issuing any rules, consider alternatives, differing industry segments and adverse effects on the economy.
The proposal will ensure rules “are not overly burdensome” and “based on the best available science,” Representative Bill Shuster, the Pennsylvania Republican who wrote the plan, said yesterday on the House floor.
Today’s vote adds the Shuster provision to the $59.7 billion proposal to fund the FAA for four years. The House may approve the overall legislation today and send it to a conference committee, where it would be reconciled with an FAA funding plan passed by the Senate in February.
The Shuster plan will add “red tape” and “seriously undermine” FAA safety efforts, including a proposed rule that would give airline pilots nine hours of rest between shifts, a 13 percent increase from current schedules, said Representative Jerry Costello, an Illinois Democrat.
Stalling the pilot-fatigue rule would be a victory for U.S. airlines, which through their trade group, the Washington-based Air Transport Association, last year called the FAA plan “onerous.” The group said the proposal would cost the industry $19.6 billion over a decade.
Colgan Crash

President Barack Obama’s advisers have said they would recommend a veto of the FAA bill over another provision in the Republican-controlled House’s version that would make it more difficult for labor unions to organize airline workers.
The FAA last year proposed changes in pilot-rest rules in response to an airplane crash in 2009 near Buffalo, New York, that left no survivors. The plan requires that pilots get at least 30 consecutive work-free hours a week, a 25 percent increase from existing rules.
Relatives of people who died in the crash of the Pinnacle Airlines Corp. (PNCL) Colgan plane, flown on behalf of Continental Airlines, said earlier this week that the Shuster amendment seeks to “cripple” FAA efforts to enact the fatigue rule.
“It is absolutely mind-boggling” that carriers would push for legislation such as Shuster’s plan, Susan Bourque of East Aurora, New York, who lost her sister in the crash that killed 50, said in a statement March 30.
The plan may gut the idea of “one level” of safety through the industry by treating cargo carriers differently from those that carry passengers, said the Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations, which represents pilots at carriers including AMR Corp. (AMR)’s American Airlines, Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) and US Airways Group Inc. (LCC)
“Congress should ensure that regulators put safety before the economic interests of the airline industry,” the pilot association said in a March 30 statement.
To contact the reporter on this story: John Hughes in Washington at jhughes5@bloomberg.net
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Bernard Kohn at bkohn2@bloomberg.net
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...e-lawmakers-attach-conditions.html?cmpid=yhoo

I would love to put one of these politicians on the jumpseat for a hardball trip. No sleeping. Minimal breaks. Keep them busy with math tests and mental exercises the whole time. We blocked 10:31 on 17:48 duty over 3 legs in the middle of the night last week. Would LOVE for one of these idiots to tell me that's perfectly safe.

It's not over yet, luckily. It still has to go to committee and all to hash out the differences. If I had known about this amendment earlier I would have called my Rep., as he voted Yes. Money before safety in this world...

I hope everyone is paying attention to which political party is always creating these problems for our profession. This was smooth sailing under a Democratic congress. Now? Not so much.

I hope everyone is paying attention to which political party is always creating these problems for our profession. This was smooth sailing under a Democratic congress. Now? Not so much.

The Dems are right on this issue.. But I'd still never, ever, vote Democrat.

I understand both sides of the union argument blah blah blah... but any congressman or congresswoman that opposes legislation that limits fatigue needs to go back to the hot tub...

Texan? Voting dem is like a felony there!

I think it this radical wing that has seized control of the rep party is leading a campaign that will not bode well for them in 2012.

There's nothing "radical" about either major party contributing to the proletization of the American middle class. They've both been doing it for decades. Your favorite political party is bought and paid for by the ice-sculpture crowd just as surely as your favorite sports team. It's time to start voting for alternatives (past time, really).

We ain't licked yet! This still has to pass the Senate... and this is Senator's Schumer's baby on the Hill.

If they can beat it there, they will.

Unfortunately there is more to government than improving the aviation profession.

Unfortunately there is more to government than improving the aviation profession.

Yeah, and when two dudes getting married or the ten commandments being posted on your government building of choice becomes something that affects my wallet, I'll care about it and vote for people that will do something about it. Until then, I'll continue to vote for the party that will improve my life instead of Steve Forbes' life.

We got age sixty five due to "international rules", why can't we also have rest like "international rules. What a joke. Colgan will have to crash some more planes before we can get 8 hours of sleep as pilots.

Who cares what party they are? I just vote for whichever one closest respresents my thoughts and feelings. I don't care if is Democran, Repulicrat, Libregreen or Whig.

Sully was on MSNBC a couple days ago speaking out against this Shuster amendment. Its worth a watch if its out there on the interwebs still.

Sully was on MSNBC a couple days ago speaking out against this Shuster amendment. Its worth a watch if its out there on the interwebs still.

I get news report updates in my email. Sully's blasting the snot out Shuster's whole agenda.

http://duanegraham.wordpress.com/

An American Hero Blasts Republican Legislation

April 1, 2011 by R. Duane Graham “You know what? People should have a say in how they live their work lives.”

Captain ”Sully” Sullenberger
The man who landed a jet airliner on the Hudson River, Captain Chesley ”Sully” Sullenberger, was on MSNBC last night, harshly criticizing a piece of Republican legislation that would essentially gut aviation safety legislation that was put into effect last year through the efforts of the Families of Continental Flight 3407, referencing the plane that crashed and killed 50 people near the Buffalo Niagara airport about two years ago.​
Sullenberger told the Buffalo News:​
“I think it represents a giant step backward in terms of aviation safety,” said Sullenberger, who reached out to The Buffalo News to discuss the amendment put forth by Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Pa.​
If Shuster’s amendment becomes law, “at some point in the future, we don’t know when, it’s likely people will die unnecessarily,” Sullenberger said.​
Powerful words from a genuine American hero.​
I would also like to mention something Sullenberger, a long-time union member, said in response to a question about Republican efforts to curtail collective bargaining rights. He mentioned that as a member of his union’s safety committee, he “made many important safety contributions that would not have happened had we not been organized.“​
And he also said this:​
As an airline pilot, I was a proud union member for over 30 years. I saw that even at good companies it levels the playing field. No individual can stand up to the power of the organization, of management. It’s only collectively we have an effective voice. You know what? People should have a say in how they live their work lives.​
Again, powerful words from a genuine American hero.

For an airforce puke, Sully is a pretty good guy. He's "wasting" some good political capital that could go towards a book deal (sure he has one anyway) talking this union nonsense. Good to see one of the White Hats speak. Of course, no one really cares, and once the cameras are off, the same stupid, shortsighted political crap will win, again (and again). But at least he went down fighting, almost certainly to his detriment. Lesson to be learned here.

There are a lot of people that are aware of the hardships that pilots face these days. A lot of people outside of aviation in the military and back and whereever ask me my opinions and everything else... And people being aware is important...

But the problem is (and were all guilty of it) is that most Americans still surf for the cheapest plane ticket and don't think much about the safety and the technicalities of us getting to our destination. We just "assume" that we will get there, and the company with the cheapest ticket gets our money.

With this amendment most people attention span won't last more than 15 minutes... and thats for the ones that do care. And especially since its not an election year its effect on Mr. Shuster's re-election campaign will probably be nil anyways. No-one outside of aviation will notice whether it passes or fails.

Kudos to Sully though. "at some point in the future, we don’t know when, it’s likely people will die unnecessarily,”

Back