PHX doctor arrested for pointing rifle at KPHX terminal

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
2nd Amendment. There are smart ways to exercise this, and there are dumb ways to. This falls in the dumb category, and its unfortunate that this may adversely affect the career of a prominent PHX valley neurology Dr with the Barrow Neurological Center here. Taking your AR-15 slung over your shoulder to the airport for no other reason than to exercise your right to, while legal, isn't very smart and can easily get one in trouble; especially when one has no other business at the airport. While his conduct was possibly accidental, the decisionmaking appears to be in serious question.

Story link:

http://www.kpho.com/story/26134030/pd-phoenix-doctor-points-rifle-at-woman-teen-in-sky-harbor

PHOENIX (CBS5) -
A top neuroscientist pointed an AR-15 assault rifle in the direction of a mother and her teenage daughter inside one of the busiest terminals at Sky Harbor International Airport on Friday, police said.

Peter Nathan Steinmetz, 54, was taken into custody in Terminal 4 shortly after 10:30 a.m. and booked into the Maricopa County Jail.

Steinmetz is director of the neuroengineering program at Barrow Neurological Institute, according to his biography posted on its website Monday.

On Tuesday, his bio was removed from BNI's website and his name was removed from its neuroengineering laboratory page.

St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center - which houses the Barrow Neurological Institute - issued the following statement:

"We can confirm that Peter Steinmetz is employed as a part-time researcher with St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center and does not treat patients. We are aware of the situation and are taking it very seriously. At present this issue is being handled by Human Resources and our policy is not to comment on HR matters."

However, Monday they issued a slightly different statement:

"We can confirm that Peter Steinmetz is employed as a researcher with St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. We are aware of the situation and are taking it very seriously. At present this issue is being handled by Human Resources and our policy is not to comment on HR matters."

CBS 5 is waiting to hear back from St. Joseph's about the discrepancy with his employment status and why his bio page has been removed from the BNI website.

According to a court document, Steinmetz was seen on Level 3 ordering coffee at a Starbucks while carrying in plain view a rifle over his right shoulder.

"It certainly was concerning to other passengers at the airport, not knowing why this individual was walking around with an assault rifle slung over his arm," said Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos.

But he pointed out guns are not restricted in that area of the airport.

Steinmetz then walked to the east end of the Level 3 terminal, where he stopped in front of the B gates and then proceeded to an area where people wait for passengers, court paperwork stated.

According to a probable cause statement, Steinmetz "proceeded to remove the Stag Arm AR-15 from his right shoulder, thus causing the muzzle to face two victims sitting to the right."

The pair, a mother and her 17-year-old daughter, told officers "they felt in fear of their safety when the rifle was pointed in their direction."

When officers confronted Steinmetz, the man said he had no other business at Sky Harbor than to stop by and buy a cup of coffee.

A Gilbert aunt and her niece, who were waiting to pick up the girl's mother by the entrance to the B gates Monday, were disturbed to hear about what happened just a few days prior.

"I know he probably wasn't doing it intentionally (pointing the gun at the mother and daughter)," said Sophea. "It's probably traumatizing to those who were just here."

Martos said this isn't the first time Steinmetz has brought a weapon to the airport.

He said officers questioned him early last November when Steinmetz picked his wife up from Sky Harbor armed with an assault rifle.

This happened just a few days after a TSA agent was shot to death by a gunman at Los Angeles International Airport.

Martos said Steinmetz told officers he was exercising his right to bear arms.

Sophea's aunt said the airport is no place to make a political statement, especially when weapons are involved.

"I know that he does have the right to do that," said Julie Sanchez. "But I just feel he has other ways, other options, to prove his point."

Steinmetz faces two counts of disorderly conduct with a weapon and is out of jail on $5,000 bond.

Steinmetz is due back in court Thursday at 8:30 a.m., and he has been ordered to surrender his weapons.

1, who the hell goes to the AIRPORT Starbucks just to buy a cup of coffee? Wouldn't that be a bigger pain in the ass than it's worth?
2, why the hell does anyone feel the need to walk around with an AR-15 strapped to their shoulder? It's not like he lives in Mogadishu.
Martos said Steinmetz told officers he was exercising his right to bear arms.
"You're not wrong, you're just an a hole"

1, who the hell goes to the AIRPORT Starbucks just to buy a cup of coffee? Wouldn't that be a bigger pain in the ass than it's worth?
2, why the hell does anyone feel the need to walk around with an AR-15 strapped to their shoulder? It's not like he lives in Mogadishu.

"You're not wrong, you're just an a hole"

1) Yes 2) Why do you feel the need to do anything? Its not like you live in America?

1) Yes 2) Why do you feel the need to do anything? Its not like you live in America?
Let's be honest, there's not much he's going to accomplish with an AR-15 that he's probably not going to be able to do with a concealed carry permit or a handgun. You can't tell me most people aren't going to wonder if he's just a dude carrying a rifle or a crazed mass shooter at first sight. Legal or not, this guy is a retard to go into an airport like that.

With rights, come _________.

... lefts, unless you want to go in a circle.

... temper tantrums, gridlock, and the inability to compromise for the good of the country?

Yielding to oncoming traffic.

... nothing, necessarily, since the "rights" in question are held to be fundamental?

~Fox

The right to carry arms comes with the responsibility to not sweep someone with the muzzle. Negligent in the extreme. I also don't understand why morons such as this continue to endanger the very rights they say they want to exercise. Do I carry in our airport? Darn tootin', but it's concealed and I don't do anything to endanger anyone by sweeping them.

Let's be honest, there's not much he's going to accomplish with an AR-15 that he's probably not going to be able to do with a concealed carry permit or a handgun. You can't tell me most people aren't going to wonder if he's just a dude carrying a rifle or a crazed mass shooter at first sight. Legal or not, this guy is a retard to go into an airport like that.

Actually, the great part of AZ is there is no need for a CCW permit. Do I think this guy made a wise choice, no. But will I defend his right to do what he did, without a doubt

Actually, the great part of AZ is there is no need for a CCW permit. Do I think this guy made a wise choice, no. But will I defend his right to do what he did, without a doubt

Except if he really did sweep somebody with the muzzle while wandering around the airport you really shouldn't support his right to carry because he was doing so irresponsibly and that does nothing but hurt everybody else who does carry responsibly.

Except if he really did sweep somebody with the muzzle while wandering around the airport you really shouldn't support his right to carry because he was doing so irresponsibly and that does nothing but hurt everybody else who does carry responsibly.

Seems like to me, he didn't, based on this article, but hey, guilty until proven innocent, right? Probably some nut from the DPRC saw him and freaked out.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...x-doctor-ar-political-repression/#more-330314

There's a time and a place for open carry. This was neither of them.

And that time is of you're a police officer.

I don't understand the appeal of open carry unless you have a really small penis. All it will do is make sure you get shot first. I'd rather nobody know im carrying. It would allow me to choose when it is time to intervene in a conflict vs becoming the target.

And that time is of you're a police officer.

I don't understand the appeal of open carry unless you have a really small penis. All it will do is make sure you get shot first. I'd rather nobody know im carrying. It would allow me to choose when it is time to intervene in a conflict vs becoming the target.

Amen. This open carry nonsense needs to stop.

Back