People working for free ruining industry?

I'd rather see him receive the paycheck and donate it to Angel Flight...

I can't wait for someone to figure out that patients travel on the backs of volunteer pilots who donate flight expenses in lieu of Angle Flight buying airline tickets for these patients when no pilots volunteer. Is Angle Flight "bad" too? Are volunteer pilots stealing your paycheck by their efforts to assist people in need? I personally don't have the world view required to be offended by someone else's volunteerism.

I can't wait for someone to figure out that patients travel on the backs of volunteer pilots who donate flight expenses in lieu of Angle Flight buying airline tickets for these patients when no pilots volunteer. Is Angle Flight "bad" too? Are volunteer pilots stealing your paycheck by their efforts to assist people in need? I personally don't have the world view required to be offended by someone else's volunteerism.

I never said volunteerism is bad. I however believe that someone volunteering to take an important position that should provide a salary commensurate with responsibility is doing a disservice to their fellow professionals.

Comparing a commercial entity such as an airport to an all volunteer organization such as Angel Flight is apples to oranges.

I never said volunteerism is bad. I however believe that someone volunteering to take an important position that should provide a salary commensurate with responsibility is doing a disservice to their fellow professionals.

Comparing a commercial entity such as an airport to an all volunteer organization such as Angel Flight is apples to oranges.

Who pays for that position at the airport??:rolleyes:

So maybe the city manager should be a volunteer position too?

Why is this so difficult for you? The position was VACANT, he filled it. End of story. And you know what? Like I already said, and I am saying AGAIN, if it costs taxpayers money, and a volunteer can do the job to the same standard, and wants to do it, let them have at it. Very simple.

By many of your guys' logic, nobody should ever volunteer for anything. Ever.

Afterall, if I go volunteer at a soup kitchen, I'm undermining the wages of the guy who has an actual job there, because I 'work for free'.

I also undermine the jobs of people who work at Habitat For Humanity...and the Red Cross....and the USO....etc.

US labor law is pretty specific about working for "free". As a general rule, unless it is a internship with a educational program, for profit organizations can not have free work. Sorry you can't volunteer work to get your foot in the door. Even non profits have to be careful about using volunteer labor if they have paid positions doing substantially the same work.

That is why PFJ outfits like Gulfstream charge you a lot of cash for "training" but then put you on "the payroll" when you are a FO.

It seems this falls under the volunteer community service.

Humm.... So if an airport needs an airport manager (much like the fancy degrees lots of us got from aviation universities) and a volunteer jumps into the mix, why would you EVER pay somebody to do what someone is willing to do for free?

Humm.... So if an airport needs an airport manager (much like the fancy degrees lots of us got from aviation universities) and a volunteer jumps into the mix, why would you EVER pay somebody to do what someone is willing to do for free?

Does this REALLY need to be answered?? :confused:

My original intent was to say that this was a position that was factored into the budget of said county. Now someone is doing it for free, that should free up about $60,000 for the budget.

Back