People Will Tell You This Profession Can't Get Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebird2XC

People will tell you this profession can't get better. They'll tell you that the airline managers hold all the cards and they still cheat anyways. They'll say it's better to always err on the side of caution, to believe in threats, and to think that no matter what you do, somebody else will always do it for less and you can be replaced.

There are, in fact, times in the industry when this is true. Since 9/11, there have been more than a few days when we have seen iconic airline names come off the arrival and departure boards never to return. With them, so went the careers of their employees.

Even so, all things economical and in the airline industry are cyclical. The waves roll and crash during the more turbulent times, and during the more stable times, the tide comes in, and out.

I have for the last seven years stated again and again that if we fought hard, we could better our profession. While only the biggest of fools believes that the airlines exist to pay employees and that we can vote ourselves into endless wealth, there is still a balance to be had where a profitable airline can also compensate their employees appropriately and well for the revenue they produce.

Each time I have said this, there has always been someone offering a cautionary tale (or even outright mocking my optimism) and calling my drive Quixotic, a true fool's errand. It's been frustrating, even to the point where others have reached out to me in sympathy of the criticism I have received. They've asked me why and how I can continue to stomach the slings and arrows of my critics while I stood out front and waived the flag.

People said the rest rules would never come, the 1500 hour rule would never come, and more than anything else, the new pay rates would never come. The rest rules are here, and we sleep easier at nights- and avoid that bleary-eyed confusion in the cockpit that much more. The 1500 hour rule is here, and despite the debate of skill coming from experience or education, it has achieved something- if Pay For Job was really to die, it was the last thrust necessary to take it down. It has made buying your way into the airline pilot profession so economically unfeasible that someone paying their way into a First Officer seat (and the Pandora's Box of trouble that comes with that) is as dead as dead gets.

And now we come to pay. ExpressJet and American Eagle 'Envoy' pilots have voted down paycuts. And today, it's come to my attention that Republic has a Tentative Agreement that raises pay scales. While this still has yet to pass, the fact that these scales are even being considered but a regional airline management team speaks volumes.

Republic TA pay rates.jpg

... and I know some of you probably think I'm saying "I told you so." I can see how you might think that. I feel fairly vindicated right now, and I must admit- I do love to be right. That said, it is by no means my purpose here to criticize or gloat over my critics, but to encourage them to reexamine their thoughts on the trajectory of the regional airline segment of the industry and the trends in our career, and possibly temper their words with a little more optimism. A great many of the people who speak negatively of the prospects of the airline pilot career carry a great deal of weight with the rest of us, myself included. I humbly suggest that your statements that "Things will never change" may be negatively influencing the people who absolutely could affect positive change for all of us. Every negative word encourages people to look down and do nothing- and makes it that much easier for management to pick our pockets to pay for management's mistakes. Not to mention management's arrogance and greed.

More than anything, I hope this shows everyone here that when the circumstances are right, and when we work together, we can in fact make a difference. Solidarity and Unity aren't just buzzwords. They allow us the benefit of teamwork across an industry that very much wants us separate, weak, and conquered.

We have new rest rules, and now pay is trending upwards. Pilots are standing up for themselves in places where previously it was deemed unthinkable.

That's why I'm out front waving the flag, and why I'm willing to weather the criticism. Times have changed and opportunity is ahead for all of us- IF we work together, stay positive, and are willing to stand against criticism, intimidation, and baseless threats. We, as airline pilots, manage incredible risk on a daily basis and move the world's people and industry. We should remember that, educate ourselves, and step up.

Support your coworkers in demanding your due. Support your colleagues at other airlines in demanding their due. Let them know when they step up to defend what's theirs- you're on board. And when the time comes, look for them to let you know the same.

I'M ON BOARD.

Are you?

Last edited:
Good work, Charlie. I'm on board! Mike, We're not narcissist's, were highly skilled professionals that have put years and years of money, hard work, sweat, and tears into what we love. We obviously don't fly for the money..but enough is enough! EagleStrong.

Good work, Charlie. I'm on board! Mike, We're not narcissist's, were highly skilled professionals that have put years and years of money, hard work, sweat, and tears into what we love. We obviously don't fly for the money..but enough is enough! EagleStrong.

I wouldn't pay any attention to Mike. He once called me 'entitled' because I quit an unpaid internship flipping switches in simulators because I found out they were laying off paid instructors that would have done it otherwise. His sole interest in most of what other people say is to throw a wet blanket on it- I gave up on him a long time ago. Don't feed the troll.

Ha. That video was made (by a JC member no less) probably before you even started at the airlines. Sure, there are tons of stupid Sail videos out there, but you picked a pretty bad example of SJS induced cinema.

What difference does it make when it was made? This was still back when portable electronic devices were a no-no below 10k. The music just puts it over the top. Why is it you can't find a single cockpit/inflight video without some sort of garbage music.

I don't want to steal your thunder or anything, but just because the rates went from an atrociously low rate to what they are now, let's use some logic. I'm not sure about the company referred to in the OP but my commuter went from 85-90 hours of credit per month to right at 75 due to FAR 117. I'm sure as things settle down the hours will come up a bit but let's do some quick math:

$41 x 75 x 12 = $36,900 (proposed IBT pay rates, which to be fair aren't the same as the agreed upon rates, but we'll assume they are)
$38 x 75 x 12 = $34,200 (current 2nd year pay at my commuter)
------------------------------
$2700 x 0.85 (15% tax bracket) = $2295/yr difference (money in the pocket) in a concessionary contract signed in 2003, 11 years ago.

The top out rates look high but sit down and think about something for a second. Do you really think many will be around 20 years later to realize those gains? The real meat and potatoes of the contract are years 1-10 and if everything is as people say it will be, years 1-5 +/- are the most important. Why in the world did you want the 20 year pay to be so high? Who gives a crap? It's basically the "big fish in the little pond" screwing the rest of the pilot group saying "I have mine".

I applaud the pay gains, and quite honestly you probably have Eagle and Xjet pilots to thank for them, but a little perspective is still needed, and maybe a little too much euphoria is present. Overall, the industry still pays absurdly low, and combined with FAR117 now putting a fairly large cap on the credit you can do (I did 150+ per month for 4 months in a row when I first upgraded without using vacation, try that now!) it severely limits your income ability. And my biggest beef still remains, and that is the fact that the disparity between low and top pay is ridiculous.

They've asked me why and how I can continue to stomach the slings and arrows of my critics while I stood out front and waived the flag.....

... and I know some of you probably think I'm saying "I told you so." I can see how you might think that. I feel fairly vindicated right now, and I must admit- I do love to be right....

...that's why I'm out front waving the flag, and why I'm willing to weather the criticism.

I'll try to give some honest and constructive criticism here. I'm not convinced that it's your ideas that provoke people, but your delivery. It's obvious that you're passionate about trying to improve the industry, but in many of your writings about this you set up this straw man who disagrees with your message and attacks you for it. I've never seen that (at least on the internet). The criticism I've seen comes down to this:

narcissism
nar·cis·sism
noun
1. inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity. Synonyms: self-centeredness,smugness, egocentrism.

...which, given the content of your post above, isn't that off base.

If you want to be an effective leader, I would suggest talking about *ideas* and not so much about yourself and the role you play...something like this:

"Rest rules and ATP requirements are having a strong effect already. Regionals are struggling to find qualified pilots, concessionary regional contracts are being rejected, and major airline hiring is the strongest it's been in a decade. We're seeing tangible benefits of raising experience requirements and increasing safety."

That's just how I would phrase it if I wasn't really interested in telling a nonexistent enemy that I told them so.

What difference does it make when it was made? This was still back when portable electronic devices were a no-no below 10k. The music just puts it over the top. Why is it you can't find a single cockpit/inflight video without some sort of garbage music.

1. The guy who made that is an incredibly respected member here...
2. The video is not a 20 yr old saying "OMG flying is so freaking cool" trying to impress his friends, but an attempt to show the amazing things pilots get to see and do on a regular basis. It's not like a JetU promo.

Ha. That video was made (by a JC member no less) probably before you even started at the airlines. Sure, there are tons of stupid Sail videos out there, but you picked a pretty bad example of SJS induced cinema.

lol I remember that video.... it's ooolllldddd.
It was made before I even applied to skywest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back