PAPI/VASI Obstruction Clearance

TxFlight

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm a little confused by VASI 4nm obstruction clearance
and PAPI 3.4nm obstruction clearance.

Is that translated to;
You're guaranteed obstacle clearance 4/3.4 miles prior to touchdown or you're guaranteed obstacle clearance until you're 4/3.4 miles prior to the touchdown?

If it's the later, is that the time to disregard the VASI/PAPI and focus on the aiming points for the runway?

On a side note, I couldn't imagine an obstruction being 4 miles prior to or beyond touchdown that would be in conflict with "on glide path" visual aids so that's why it's not making sense to me. I can't think of any airport that you would be 10 miles out on red white glide path and hit something.

NOTES — read them from start to finish.

Also the NOTAMs. If the visual glidepath indicator is inop, night landings might be NA due to obstacles penetrating the 20:1 OIS.

I think Molokai had a distance limitation. I don’t think I was ever more than a mile away from the runway though and we couldn’t go in after sunset IIRC.

Yes 25 is a tricky landing at RNO, but a nice option to have with the constant high crosswinds there. Just tough to do a straight in to it in a larger aircraft and still remain stable. Short base much easier.

Even though they are the perfect airline animal, I don't feel good about leaving them home alone for days on end. And I live alone, so.

Even though they are the perfect airline animal, I don't feel good about leaving them home alone for days on end. And I live alone, so.

Mine are totally fine with it. When I get home they barely look up other than to say “ah, hoomin, you’re back. Clean tha’ sandbox. K thx.”

Back