PAPI/VASI Obstruction Clearance

With catboxes, the rule is N+1. Decent litter, ventilation and proper placement and this is all a non-issue.
Three cats with only three boxes was tenuous at best, but since they were close enough to the office that I could tell at the first hint of needing cleaned, they were also the cleanest damned cat boxes in all of Contra Costa County.

I installed a restaurant grill grade exhaust fan along with a a cat door in my garage and put all the boxes out there. The fan was powerful enough to create a negative pressure to keep all the smell out.

Other than a humorous, pneumatic like “thuoomp” noise when the fat one went through the door, and a slight increase in my electric bill, it worked great.

I installed a restaurant grill grade exhaust fan along with a a cat door in my garage and put all the boxes out there. The fan was powerful enough to create a negative pressure to keep all the smell out.

Other than a humorous, pneumatic like “thuoomp” noise when the fat one went through the door, and a slight increase in my electric bill, it worked great.
That’s a wonderful idea.

That’s a wonderful idea.

Yea, it's one thing I miss in my new house.

My new garage is bigger, but I have yet to devise a way to subdivide it to keep the cats out of most of it. I really didn't use my other garage day in/day out, so it didn't really matter.

My idea was to frame up part of the garage and screen it in, with a sliding screen door, making a sort of airlock, but honestly, I need a bunch of tools I don't have and more motivation that I typically possess.

Three cats with only three boxes was tenuous at best, but since they were close enough to the office that I could tell at the first hint of needing cleaned, they were also the cleanest damned cat boxes in all of Contra Costa County.

My Dad and stepmom have 6 indoor, which yields 7 boxe
Yea, it's one thing I miss in my new house.

My new garage is bigger, but I have yet to devise a way to subdivide it to keep the cats out of most of it. I really didn't use my other garage day in/day out, so it didn't really matter.

My idea was to frame up part of the garage and screen it in, with a sliding screen door, making a sort of airlock, but honestly, I need a bunch of tools I don't have and more motivation that I typically possess.

My best friend did roughly the same thing with his garage, but did it with a dust handler to make room for his shop. He makes custom guitars as a hobby.

My Dad and stepmom have 6 indoor, which yields 7 boxe

My best friend did roughly the same thing with his garage, but did it with a dust handler to make room for his shop. He makes custom guitars as a hobby.

One thing I did do was trick out a room for my workshop. Two long workbenches, a couple of those big rolling toolboxes, triple DC power supplies, sweet wireless oscilloscope, signal generator, soldering re-work station, 3D printer my GF bought me for my birthday, ham radio setup....the works. I scored a vintage craftsman toolbox from the 60s for my delicate tools that was just the right size. The only thing I'm still wrenching on is the PC setup so I can run my HP 7574A pen plotter for drawings.

Even ordinary dust IS a PITA though. I've got a HEPA cleaner in the room to handle it, but it still gets everywhere.

How my cat enters the room when I open a can of gushy fud:

Last edited:
Even though they are the perfect airline animal, I don't feel good about leaving them home alone for days on end. And I live alone, so.

I’m still trying to figure out if it’s creepier when my dog stares at me while she’s pooping or when she stares at me while I poop.

Back