Opinions

This is an awesome write up. I bailed on aerospace engineering after three years of school (probably should have stuck it out until the end but oh well) and this sort of problem solving was what mostly kept me interested those three years. I think I was still able to follow along on about 50% of it which I'll take as a huge win.

That’s two things we have in common! Aerospace Engineering and SAR. :)

It’s definitely not for everybody but I’ve really enjoyed the ride so far. What you end up doing in a career will likely be vastly different than how it was portrayed in college as well. Where college degree programs focus a ton on aerodynamics and design-build-fly in the last year, the reality is there is a tiny niche amount of aero people compared with the army of engineers required to detail design structural parts, design mechanisms, route subsystems, analyze and write stress reports for all the above, model and develop flight control systems and write all the software to make it all work. Making an airplane is super complicated and requires a ton of different disciplines to come together - and thus it’s kind of unrealistic for one person to understand the intricacies of all the disciplines.

Throughout the process though I’ve remained passionate about preliminary and conceptual design (the “napkin sketch” stage where you first dream up a new airplane) even though it’s also a small niche in the field, because to do it well you need to be a generalist and know a little bit about all the disciplines to make informed initial assumptions and come to the best compromises on requirements to give your design its best shot at success. I really respect and admire those who did this process so well like Kelly Johnson, Jack Northrop, Burt Rutan and lesser known names like Dan Raymer and Jan Roskam (both of whom make excellent textbooks on the subject). So while I’m not an aero guy I tried to approach the question in a more wholistic way (as an overall airplane configuration question vs an aero question), and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

What you end up doing in a career will likely be vastly different than how it was portrayed in college as well.

That's what did it for me. I was fortunate enough to be doing a coop program throughout college. I spent alternating semesters out in the field doing actual aerospace engineering "stuff". I think in hindsight, I started down that road after reading a whole bunch of Dale Brown books as a kid. Obviously I didn't really think it would be like that but I as it turned out I didn't have a grasp on what it actual was going to be. The first semester out I did QC for Boeing on the 737 line, which was pretty cool. The second semester out I worked with some guys that eventually would become part of Aurora Flight Sciences (long before Boeing bought them). I worked on wiring harness designs, which was... kind of dull. And then the final nail in the coffin was going to Sikorsky and helping a very close to retirement engineer work on strength and fatigue testing various bolts in the S92. It was... tedious. After two months of that I went back to school and changed my major to Business.

Didn't know you did SAR work. That's awesome.

AA changes everything Tuesday. Hell will have frozen over as FO’s will be allowed to make announcements and touch the light switches.
So….um. How’s it going over there?

So….um. How’s it going over there?

A gentleman never kisses and tells or something like that. But lots of delays today. APA sent out several emails.

You're right of course. Took me a while to wrap my head around it, but they’re basically equating “no calculated holdover time” with “holdover time has expired” and handling those two events the same way. I still think it’s a little sketchy but I at least understand it now. Funny how after doing this stuff for a quarter century you still run across things you haven’t seen before.
Well to be fair you've been looking at it through the FO lens for quite some time. Now you're back to being Charles.. errr Mike in charge and you have the itch to understand not to just comply :)

Hey can y’all IOE instructors please tell FOs that they don’t need to smash the instinctive disconnect button 13 times to disconnect the autopilot? So annoying. Nonsensical. Poor airmanship. It’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Clicky
(brief pause)
Clicky.

1673646551997.jpeg

You want to die? Because this is how you die.

In exceedingly rare and unlikely circumstances.

Oh, here's autothrust:

"Form a popsicle THEN press autothrottle disconnect pbs. Unless, of course, you like suprises"

Oh, here's autothrust:

"Form a popsicle THEN press autothrottle disconnect pbs. Unless, of course, you like suprises"

If the second clicky was the autothrust then it's all good. If it was the ap disconnect two times... bad stuff.

Back