Operations Agent for SWA?

paulie6978

I just got hired as an ops agent for southwest. having a hard time finding some info on the job.

also how is the training, perks, benfits, etc.... thanks

I just got hired as an ops agent for southwest. having a hard time finding some info on the job.

also how is the training, perks, benfits, etc.... thanks

I would think these are questions/answers that would have come up during the hiring process. I don't know how one can accept a job, not knowing the benefits, etc.....

That being said, Congrats on the new gig!!!

I would think these are questions/answers that would have come up during the hiring process. I don't know how one can accept a job, not knowing the benefits, etc.....

That being said, Congrats on the new gig!!!

i am aware of the job, benefits etc adn would never take it without knowing

i just wanted to hear them all from a current employees perspective

thanks for the input though

Were you hired into Ops off the street? I worked Ops in MCO for about 5 years, left there about 3 years ago. Pretty good job, training was 2 weeks in Dallas however you'll learn most everything on the job. I enjoyed the interaction with the pilots, fa's, ramp, provo and even the pax. When I first started you had to compute weight and balance manually but that is now only used if the computers are broke. Anyway it was fun a few years back, don't know much about SWA now. Congrats, have fun and make the most of it.

Were you hired into Ops off the street? I worked Ops in MCO for about 5 years, left there about 3 years ago. Pretty good job, training was 2 weeks in Dallas however you'll learn most everything on the job. I enjoyed the interaction with the pilots, fa's, ramp, provo and even the pax. When I first started you had to compute weight and balance manually but that is now only used if the computers are broke. Anyway it was fun a few years back, don't know much about SWA now. Congrats, have fun and make the most of it.

yes , right off the street, no experience, college degree

do they promote from within alot? alotta oppurtunity for OT?

i fly to orlando next week to meet with HR

i start end of november

yes , right off the street, no experience, college degree

do they promote from within alot? alotta oppurtunity for OT?

i fly to orlando next week to meet with HR

i start end of november

Like I said earlier, I've been gone from SWA for a while - but the overtime came it spurts some months alot others nothing at all. Always seemed to be alot more on the ramp. You could always seem to pick up other agents shifts though at straight time only. Are you going to be working in MCO or just visiting HR there? You can definately get promoted out of Ops to Sup or into other positions. The main thing with promotions besides sucking up:laff: is your attitude. It was the first job I had where I could have stayed for a long time, I mean wearing shorts and sneakers to work - good times!

Hey there. I have been trying to get a ramp job for a couple months now, but I have a copy of the union handbook for Southwest and it looks like Ops, Provisioning, and Ramp are all under the same union contract. By all accounts OPs for Southwest is a VERY good job. The pay is just a tiny bit more than ramp and the top out pay is over $26 an hour. The scale moves pretty quick too. You start at ten and change, but in just 4 years you're over $15 an hour and about a buck and change an hour additional each subsequent year. Like I said, I have a friend whos been with Southwest as a ramp agent for quite some time and he does extremely well. He works minimal overtime and manages to gross about $70k. The pay is adaquate but the job really shines in it's benefits. You can fly Southwest for free unlimited and so can your family. You also get buddy passes periodically (I'm the beneficiary of many of those). He also flies for next to nothing on almost every other major airline as well. I don't know exactly how that goes though. They have a free HMO, but they also have a PPO that gives you more options but you pay a little bit for it. They have real good retirement benefits as well. 401k with 8.3% dollar for dollar match and profit sharing. Anyways, these are just the selling points that I've been told by my buddy to get me to join up but I've been unsuccessful so far. Congratulatons on getting in. What city did you get hired in? I guess Las Vegas is hiring but I can't relocate.

I was hired at PHL as a ops agent..... ill be in Orlando next week to get my ID adn fill some paperwork out..... I live close to PHL so its about a 5 minute ride as opposed to my former job which was 35 miles each way.....

I would really like to move up since i have a Bachelors.... The perosn who interviewed me told me they really like bringing people up from within

Heres my Job Timeline

8/2008 Applied on SWA.com

2/2009 Interview

2/2009 BAckground, SIDA , etc....

4/2009 Put In Hiring Pool due to Hiring Freeze

11/2009 FED DOT Drug Test, Hired

Def a long process but im very fortunate to be in

Welcome aboard!

Get on SWALife and check management profiles. Many VPs and pilots started on the ramp. Several managers I work for and with started on the ramp. We're all about moving people up from the inside. Benefits are great, company is fun. Take advantage of everything.

PM me if you want more details. One of my buddies here at HQ was a ramper in Philly for two or three years before heading down here. You're starting in the winter. Philly can't stay on time in the summer, let alone the winter, so get ready for at least a little OT I'd imagine.

Cheers! :beer:

hey just a quick update on my job and philly ops....... its been so crazy at philly....
they hardly ever hire off the street... im the first off the street hire in years from waht they tell me.... they like to bring people up from within such as a ramp sup or they get guys in there as transfers from other stations.....

training is going well for me. its all hands on and pretty much on the fly. its been realy busy down there but ive learned alot. ive also learned to hate the general public lol

i go away to dallas for training the 2nd week in january.

anyone have any other tips or questions for me? thanks

Congrats on the gig! I sometimes regret choosing to ramp at US instead of WN here in PHX.....

Back