Once a Captain...

MusketeerMan

...always a Captain?

With many regionals having downgrades, what happens to the stripes? I know what I think should happen (down to 3), but I've seen a few CA's that were downgraded due to company needs flying in the right seat with 4 stripes. They weren't flying as an FO for that trip, they were now back to FO status and pay.

Thoughts?

IMO, if you've downgraded to FO, dress like one. I can see wearing CA stripes on CA OE, but not if you've been forced to downgrade. To me, it's just sad and seems like the person can't deal with reality. I still have my FO epaulets just in case. That being said, maybe they traded in the FO epaulets and the four stripes is all they have now....

I dunno. I agree with how Airways did it. They guys could wear them on their jackets and coats but on their shirts they had to have three...... I personally do not care. As far as I'm concerned they did get qualified as a CA and even though an FO they are still a CA once the company needs them as that again. So I guess I just dont care enough. Wear what they want.

Just seems like a CA put back into the right seat because of 'staffing issues' becomes a F/O again plain and simple.

It's not like being a CA is a knighthood from the Queen herself.

If I was demoted from a director to a rep again, guess what I'd call myself?

I dont see a problem in getting to keep the 4 stripes. The guys who have gotten there then downgraded for reasons like furloughs have been through a lot, and even tho it sounds stupid, keeping something like the stripes always gives you a little higher morale and also some hope that hopefully soon youll be back in the left seat.

Aside from that lots of airlines have the employees pay for their uniforms. So because they get downgraded now they have to go out and buy a new F/O uniform again (assuming they got rid of their old one as it was no longer required by them to keep it). Can be lots of reasons, and I don't see a good reason why they should go back to wearing 3 stripes, especially when him and the guy flying both are aware of who the actual PIC is anyways.

There is still allure to flying regardless of what people say. Its not like other jobs, and for the most part pilots have more pride in their jobs then other professions, so its also like a sign of respect to let them keep their stripes till they get back in the Captns seat, my take anyways.

Well...As someone currently in the situation (1.5 yr in left seat going back) I'm not sure how it goes...

I still have my FO junk so I'll wear it, as for my blazer I have to find out if they can take the stripe off that was added.

As far as being an FO again....I look forward to the lack of responsibility, basically show up sober with my revisions done and collect my meager check every 2 weeks! And please, please.....the answer already is, "I don't know...ask the captain."

The rule is... Stays on blazer but you lose your leafy hat and the stripes on shirt.

Yeah, it'll look strange wearing the blazer on a 110deg ewr ramp in the middle of summer, but I'll do it............and who wears a hat anyway.

They can take my fourth stripe from my cold, dead hands!
_44543795_charlton_heston_nra466ap.jpg

It's just a uniform, and primarily for the passengers anyways. Wear what's appropriate for the seat you're sitting in.

I will continue to wear my captain stuff until I can find my FO stuff. I'm not about to buy new FO stuff and I definitely not going to remove the stripe from my blazer.

If I had to go back to the right seat, I'd throw on the three stripes (if I can find them!) and be done with it. No biggie. I mean, I'm busting my butt trying to get a job that will have me wearing three stripes again, so what's the big deal? The thing I'll miss is the paycheck! I think I'm safe in my seat for now, but who knows.

I definitely wouldn't go take the extra stripe off my blazer though. But considering I wear the leather jacket and haven't had a pilot hat on in years, it's not something I really have to worry about!

...but I've seen a few CA's that were downgraded due to company needs flying in the right seat with 4 stripes. ...Thoughts?

Happened after 9/11 too...those individuals usually have bag tags that read "Captain R.J. Mcfly, Bustanut Airlines" as well as the de rigour 747/757/777 sticker on the flightbag even though they've maybe non-revved on one once.

JMHO, YMMV

:sarcasm:
I definitely wouldn't go take the extra stripe off my blazer though. But considering I wear the leather jacket and haven't had a pilot hat on in years, it's not something I really have to worry about!
You're not a real airline pilot then, if you wear a leather jacket with no hat:p YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM:mad::sarcasm:

If I had to go back to the right seat, I'd throw on the three stripes (if I can find them!) and be done with it. No biggie. I mean, I'm busting my butt trying to get a job that will have me wearing three stripes again, so what's the big deal? The thing I'll miss is the paycheck! I think I'm safe in my seat for now, but who knows.

Exactly!

I mean, I'm busting my butt trying to get a job that will have me wearing three stripes again, so what's the big deal? The thing I'll miss is the paycheck! I think I'm safe in my seat for now, but who knows.

On face value, it's true....Many guys like us are looking for jobs where we'd be wearing 3 stripes again, and in many cases we'd be taking a pay cut to do so. But along with that we'd be looking forward to higher pay in a few years as well as most likely learning a new aircraft (probably something bigger), or if you went to a corporate flight department a new type of operation.

But being pushed back to the right seat IMO is a different situation, and definitely undesirable unlike the situations above where you actively seek a position. I consider myself lucky to have gotten over 1000tpic and for that I'm grateful but a bleak financial outlook for the immediate future causes a little stress.

And really I don't care about the stripes...I need to get PAID!

Back