Oldest aircraft you’ve flown in?

Is that Bruce Dickenson's airplane? I think he calls it a DGA-21. Haven't seen it since he painted it. I've heard it kicks ass.
Darn it! I thought I had you. Yes, 600hp of kicks ass. I understand the airport shuts down when it departs.

If you're going to farm, farm avocados. Those guys make some money. Growing up his dad's plane was a Spartan Executive.

N272MD flew on Saturday.

1679952805525.png

IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

My grandpa and his dad were friends and they were longtime Howard and Spartan Exec people. They had (and maybe still have) a DGA-15 they named "White bear". I think avocados, like anything, is a feast or fame agricultural pursuit. I recall reading about this airplane and when they did the pirep is was unpainted. He commented he was waiting for the market to turn around before he poured more money into this airplane but if the markets were right and he had a good crop he'd paint it. Damn it sure turned out nice.

Have you seen any of the Mullicoupes?

My grandpa and his dad were friends and they were longtime Howard and Spartan Exec people. They had (and maybe still have) a DGA-15 they named "White bear". I think avocados, like anything, is a feast or fame agricultural pursuit. I recall reading about this airplane and when they did the pirep is was unpainted. He commented he was waiting for the market to turn around before he poured more money into this airplane but if the markets were right and he had a good crop he'd paint it. Damn it sure turned out nice.

Have you seen any of the Mullicoupes?
I took those pictures on 1/16/2016, so it's been painted for awhile.

Mullicoupes? I had to Google it so I don't think so. This video was shot at Columbia CA in 2021 so there must be one close. This year will be my 18th Bellanca fly-in at Columbia. I always make 4 days out of it. My New Zealand based friend flies into LAX, the following morning we head for Columbia, a 2 hour flight.

Last edited:
I took those pictures on 1/16/2016, so it's been painted for awhile.

Mullicoupes? I had to Google it so I don't think so. This video was shot at Columbia CA in 2021 so there must be one close. This year will be my 18th Bellanca fly-in at Columbia. I always make 4 days out of it. My New Zealand based friend flies into LAX, the following morning we head for Columbia, a 2 hour flight.

This is a really good article about the Mullicoupe and how it came to be. The black one shown is the one I've ridden in. Fun thing is that Bud Dake (builder/owner of the black one) was a close friend of my grandpa and I was wiping oil from Mulligan's belly when Bud and Jim Younkin hatched the idea for the Mullicoupes. I was 11 and the Mr Mulligan replica had just made its debut and 11 year old me was simply eager to touch it - like it was 53 year old me wanting to touch Sanna Marin or something. Anyway - I think you'll get a kick out of the article.

If we're going by earliest production, probably a DC9 or 727 owned by TWA back in the day. Most likely the 727. That's all I flew back in the day as a kid as my aunt was an F/A and we flew nonrev. TWA received a lot of the 727s in the 60s and this would have been the mid to late 90s.

In more recent times, probably a gaggle of AA MD80s I flew on in the early teens that would have been north of 25 years old at the time.

The oldest I’ve flown is a 1945 North American SNJ-6… a quick Google search for this post says she ground looped somewhere in NC last Spring. This was back in 2007; I brought my logbook with me and the instructor signed it off as dual given.

1680043017612.jpeg

Honestly, I don’t know. Probably. I don’t know how to look it up but my first solo was N5956E.

1978, although the last airworthiness certificate was 1987 so it might have been balled up and rebuilt. 1978 was a legendary year for training airplane production, I did my private training in two 1978 Cessna 152s and a 1978 Cessna 172N!

Is that Bruce Dickenson's airplane? I think he calls it a DGA-21. Haven't seen it since he painted it. I've heard it kicks ass.

THE Bruce Dickinson?!

1680064645439.jpeg

(Ok turns out this guy was a fictional character. Does it actually belong to Iron Maiden Bruce Dickinson? SZP is awesome…)

For me, oldest airplane ever flown was a 1936 Taylor J-2. (Looks like a J-3, but quite a bit older.) Rickety and awesome, just as one would expect an airplane built in 1936 to be. Very grateful for the opportunity.

1F924609-D9EC-4957-9978-F0508B1BFF69.jpeg

Co-owned a 1946 Cessna 120 and flew it to OSH from southern CA one year (and met @Adler and @CFI A&P!).

Also got 0.5 dual in Flabob Express (1945) through another “right place right time” type opportunity and very grateful for that one too.

…Now I just troll Internet forums. :D

No - not the Iron Maiden Bruce Dickenson - the "Avocado farmer" Bruce Dickenson. I like the J2!

Ah understood! I’ve been reminiscing more about the J-2 this morning… it was sold to someone in Arizona and is still flying as far as I know.

It had the original Continental A-40 engine, producing a whopping 37 HP when new, and despite having two seats was basically a one person airplane/ultralight. The A-40 predated so much modern engine technology that it had a “rope seal”, literally a piece of rope used as a gasket between the cylinders and the case. Predictably this was a stupid design choice, and it gave out and dumped oil on the windscreen on one of my flights and gave me the opportunity to imitate the Reno greats and do a forward slip landing so I could have forward visibility. Staying true to history (and certified airplane silliness where the component it’s certified with isn’t necessarily the best one), we replaced it with a new rope seal. :D

Back