Oldest aircraft you’ve flown in?

Most recently MD-10 N311FE.
View attachment 70706
Delivered 1/1976 to SAS as DC-10 LN-RKB
Went off the end of the runway in JFK two weeks after I was born in 1984.
Converted to an MD10 and finally sent to the desert on 1/11/2023
I flew it in December MEM-GDL and it was parked less than a month later. Flew like it was on rails at 365kts at FL280 as requested by company to try and turn to make the sort.
Incredible machine.

I prob flew on that as a kid visiting family!

24467874539_0521a9caf3_b.jpg

1939 would be a pre-war/civilian DGA-15P. These were supposed to be superior to the military DGA-15P's. My grandpa's Howard was a 1943 and every Howard DGA 15P I've been in/flown has been originally military. I've never talked to anyone that really conclusively could say why the civil ones were supposed to be better - maybe weight? The DGA-11 was a civilian Howard - and best of the commercial Howards. Flew in one once and much faster than a DGA-15 on the same power. The BEST Howard ever, and one I was lucky enough to ride in and get to fly (except TO/Land) was the Younkin replica of Mr. Mulligan (DGA-6). It was an exact replica (per Harold Neumann who won the Thompson trophy in the original - and those were his words spoken to a group of us after he had just wrung out the replica (sitting in the left seat) including pylon turns and a couple passes down the runway that I am positive exceeded the speed restrictions mandated by the FAA). The Mulligan was a far better flying machine than any of the successor Howards and it, as well as the DGA-11, had better ground handling manners than the DGA-15.

1955 Beech Bonanza, that was my dad's old plane. Professionally, probably T-34C or F/A-18A/B (early 1980s). Nothing particularly "old" in comparison
T-34C! Not the oldest plane I ever flew, but stunningly and amazingly, the first plane I ever flew. Most planes after that were a bit of a let down. Not quite ruin-you-for-life class, but close.

hah that made me notice the topic is flown "in". I have no idea. Probably some clapped out UA 727 when I was a kid. Or a DC-10, 747-100, or whatever else.
I missed that topical perimeter as well. "Flown in" to me means: manipulated the controls of... "Been a Pax on" is a different category altogether.

Perimeter or parameter? I suppose both work.
Nope. Not really. But given the last couple of decades of widespread malapropism (ironically, mostly deployed by widgets trying to sound "smart"), it sure can feel that way. Who knows today. Anything goes. 'Cause, you know, "language evolves".

1939 would be a pre-war/civilian DGA-15P. These were supposed to be superior to the military DGA-15P's. My grandpa's Howard was a 1943 and every Howard DGA 15P I've been in/flown has been originally military. I've never talked to anyone that really conclusively could say why the civil ones were supposed to be better - maybe weight? The DGA-11 was a civilian Howard - and best of the commercial Howards. Flew in one once and much faster than a DGA-15 on the same power. The BEST Howard ever, and one I was lucky enough to ride in and get to fly (except TO/Land) was the Younkin replica of Mr. Mulligan (DGA-6). It was an exact replica (per Harold Neumann who won the Thompson trophy in the original - and those were his words spoken to a group of us after he had just wrung out the replica (sitting in the left seat) including pylon turns and a couple passes down the runway that I am positive exceeded the speed restrictions mandated by the FAA). The Mulligan was a far better flying machine than any of the successor Howards and it, as well as the DGA-11, had better ground handling manners than the DGA-15.
I thought this was a Howard at first...

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

Interesting information. I've actually been in a few of the Howards, I had a friend that had one and went to the Howard Aircraft Foundation fly in a couple times, then flew to Oskosh with them. I took a lot of air to air photos of them, a couple were published. I ended up becoming a life member of the foundation, but, I doubt I'll ever own one.

I've met Mr Younkin several times, he was a great guy. Mr Younkin put a friends Howard together for him, I'm pretty sure it was an 11.

1679871130708.png

It never quite got finished before the friend, John R Turgyan, passed away. It was donated to the foundation and taken to a museum outside of Chicago where it lives today.

Interesting information. I've actually been in a few of the Howards, I had a friend that had one and went to the Howard Aircraft Foundation fly in a couple times, then flew to Oskosh with them. I took a lot of air to air photos of them, a couple were published. I ended up becoming a life member of the foundation, but, I doubt I'll ever own one.

I've met Mr Younkin several times, he was a great guy. Mr Younkin put a friends Howard together for him, I'm pretty sure it was an 11.

View attachment 70738

It never quite got finished before the friend, John R Turgyan, passed away. It was donated to the foundation and taken to a museum outside of Chicago where it lives today.

John Turyan was a friend of my grandpa's. He used to fly his first Howard from the KC flyin in Atchison and land at my grandparents house and spend the week and then they'd all fly to Denton the next weekend. My first Howard ride was in Turgyan's first one before my grandpa's got done. Then he got rid of it, got a Waco Taperwing and then got into Spartan Executive and then he eventually ended up with the DGA-11 above. What a machine. You should post more of your Howard pictures!

T-34C! Not the oldest plane I ever flew, but stunningly and amazingly, the first plane I ever flew. Most planes after that were a bit of a let down. Not quite ruin-you-for-life class, but close.

If I'm being honest, the turboweiner was the most fun I've ever had in an airplane.

Back