Oh LATAM

JFK doing JFK things.

Most ICAO English level training revolves around standard phraseology and *some* abnormal situations that involve colloquial use of English.

That training would help you on 99,9% of the airports around the world. Just not in JFK, they don't do phraseology. And given the fact that they are arguably the top international US gateway, it's rather impressive this situation is not more common. I GUARANTEE most foreign crews guess what the controller said 50% of the time, by mere confirmation bias.

Yeah that ground controller was not great at communicating. Weird emphasis on ambiguous words and milquetoast speed on discriminating words, and rapid-firing sequences that were tough to follow even with subtitles.

"TAM8180HEAVY areyouCLEARED TO THE RAMP"

"NO, I'M ASKING YOU areyouCLEARED TO THE RAMP."

Exactly. We have "gouge sheets" with what to expect in particular countries and it can be laden full of confirmation bias, especially when things don't sound right. I'd expect LATAM didn't anticipate using the runway as a taxiway. In a perfect world, LATAM should have stopped, divulged that he didn't understand and JFK GND should have resorted to more ICAO-style communications after the confusion.

Louder, faster English isn't a universal translation.

Like BOS: "TASHEEEPSINDAHABAAA" vice "tall ships in the har-bor"

Exactly. We have "gouge sheets" with what to expect in particular countries and it can be laden full of confirmation bias, especially when things don't sound right. I'd expect LATAM didn't anticipate using the runway as a taxiway. In a perfect world, LATAM should have stopped, divulged that he didn't understand and JFK GND should have resorted to more ICAO-style communications after the confusion.

Louder, faster English isn't a universal translation.

Like BOS: "TASHEEEPSINDAHABAAA" vice "tall ships in the har-bor"

glad I never go to gates. FBO ramps, cargo ramps, etc, no need to deal with ramp congestion and clearances haha.

Some guys I work with hopped all around on LATAM during a backpacking trip through Patagonia recently. Said they were awesome, think the only tricky one to non-rev was the flight back to the states.

Some guys I work with hopped all around on LATAM during a backpacking trip through Patagonia recently. Said they were awesome, think the only tricky one to non-rev was the flight back to the states.
I flew them to Patagonia a few years ago, really awesome crews.

Attachments

• AD09C17E-0819-4EE4-BD2F-87B14AB71696.jpeg
    AD09C17E-0819-4EE4-BD2F-87B14AB71696.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
I might be the odd guy out here, but this should be an "Oh, JFK Ground" on this one.

If non-native English speaker spoke that fast and regionally colloquial to a US crew, I think they'd do a lot worse than LATAM.
Let’s be honest … sometimes us Americans who natively speak English don’t even know what they are saying!!

Go ahead, yell at me on frequency or try to embarrass me. Doesn’t ruin my day! You’re just wasting your energy.

Yeah that was just painful to listen to. Adding a bunch of stress to a crew that is obviously having trouble understanding instructions probably isn't helping matters. Though to be fair, the guy, grumpy as he was, seemed to be essentially giving them a progressive when it was obvious they were misunderstanding.

Should have just given progressive taxi instructions after they got a clue that they were lost and reading back incorrectly.. but that would require that controller getting the clue in the first place.

nothing says cool outdoors enthusiast and pretentious Californian turned Seattlelite visiting my island like this. Though I do own a puffer, so I guess I can't really talk s**t
That’s the thing, you don’t even have actually do anything outdoorsie, you just wear Patagucci and people assume you are.

Back