Oh LATAM

Who would have guessed Carhartt would have been the most controversial post I have made in months :bounce:

Seriously though, patagonia is for fake outdoors enthusiasts and carhartt is for fake laborers...unless you are a real laborer. Anyone remember Dickies in the 90s?

Like a pilot with a Northface jacket.

"Frontin' like you're rock climbing on your Des Moines layover? :) "

Not fair. You know you’d be making fun of the dude if he de-epaulette’d and wore his leather jacket, jeans and sneakers there too.

Haha.....not a dig against REI. I’ve been known to visit the mothership. But people come up here dressed like they are about to summit Everest......”ya turned the wrong direction off I-5 for those clothes”
I'd say about half of my "not 70 degrees and sunny siting on a patio in flip flops and a T shirt" attire is from REI, and probably half of that half is from Recycle. I love that place. It's like a hobby in and of itself looking for screaming deals and then having an excuse to go test out new stuff.

Haha.....not a dig against REI. I’ve been known to visit the mothership. But people come up here dressed like they are about to summit Everest......”ya turned the wrong direction off I-5 for those clothes”

On the flip side, my dad volunteers with the Appalachian Trail Club and the amount SAR’s they have to do for people (usually college kids) who were just expecting to do an 8 mile round trip hike to McAfee Knobb and back is probably more than you’d think. Better to be over prepared than underprepared.

On the flip side, my dad volunteers with the Appalachian Trail Club and the amount SAR’s they have to do for people (usually college kids) who were just expecting to do an 8 mile round trip hike to McAfee Knobb and back is probably more than you’d think. Better to be over prepared than underprepared.

I don't get people when it comes to the wilderness. Far too many underestimate mother nature. There was some mother in your neck of the woods (NY or CT) who literally took her teenage daughter at 4-5am, dropped her off in the middle of the dark all alone to go and do her hiking thing. Went missing. Found dead.

Then of course you had that one family in California. Husband, wife, baby, and family dog. All dead. :eek:

I don't get people when it comes to the wilderness. Far too many underestimate mother nature. There was some mother in your neck of the woods (NY or CT) who literally took her teenage daughter at 4-5am, dropped her off in the middle of the dark all alone to go and do her hiking thing. Went missing. Found dead.

Then of course you had that one family in California. Husband, wife, baby, and family dog. All dead. :eek:
It was New Hampshire and the young woman had already hiked all of the other 4k foot summits in the state that year. Depends on who you ask whether she was experienced or not. The weather was crap that day, she had get-there-itis to finish all the summits before her birthday.

The white mountains are dangerous. Professional adventurers have lost their lives in the whites.

Your attitude toward these people is the same that many have toward flying small planes.

Oh for sure. East side, absolutely. People regularly don’t come back from hikes out there. The N Cascades are nothing to f*** around with. Whidbey SAR gets busy on their account.

I’m talking about the trails out on the island where i live, which are mostly child friendly, basically flat trails through the woods, near civilization. To be fair, a rain coat is probably a good idea for much of the year :)

It was New Hampshire and the young woman had already hiked all of the other 4k foot summits in the state that year. Depends on who you ask whether she was experienced or not. The weather was crap that day, she had get-there-itis to finish all the summits before her birthday.

The white mountains are dangerous. Professional adventurers have lost their lives in the whites.

Your attitude toward these people is the same that many have toward flying small planes.

Mt.Washington has and continues to kill people year round… and there’s a road to the top.

The road to the top is part of the trap though. Can’t be that bad right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best is when these idiots come up here in the summertime, all kitted out in $1000+ LARPing costumes from REI, and my 4 year old passes them on the trail (which is difficultly level 0/green) in slip on shoes and a hoodie, while they fiddle with their absurd hiking backpack+baby carrier, hunting for a new diaper in all the pockets they have never opened. I just want to yell "its in your stupid Subaru/Audi you conformist dum dums.....and your toddler looks like a moron, he needs a haircut"

Also I should have said "faux outdoors enthusiast"
I've hiked up the hill from the marina to get pizza at Langley wearing probably LL Bean. That's about the extent of my Whidbey hiking.

I've hiked up the hill from the marina to get pizza at Langley wearing probably LL Bean. That's about the extent of my Whidbey hiking.

haha that is about as tough as it gets.......other than maybe Mt Erie, which is technically on Fidalgo

We love Langley though, have considered moving there, though it would make my car commute even worse when the ferry is down/cancelled

I have a very nice insulated pea coat, it has zippers and inside pockets as well as the buttons. I love it and I don't know why. I live in SoCal far away from the docks. I didn't buy it, it was a gift from my wife (she thought it was handsome). I might wear it twice a year but I don't think I'll ever sell it. My daily cold weather jacket is a Duluth work jacket, it's not handsome but it's warm and rugged. It's not this newer version but it's close enough and I bought it for myself...

Last edited:
Speaking of jackets, I have a bunch and I'm unsure what to do with them. Some are SWAG and have a brand or company name and perhaps my name on them. Some are leather and I'll never wear them (I'm not a PETA weirdo). What should I do with the stuff I'll never wear?

Back