Oh Delta! XXLMCIV

“Hey, you seem to have a lot on your plate there tonight…….lemme just pile some more on for you, don’t want you to feel cheated or anything”. One of those flights…..:)

Yes, all NOTAMS need to be included, I get that. And they are posted first come, first serve. But there has to be a way to sort maybe NAVAID and approach ones first, or SID/STAR changes, etc, and prioritize them down from there. Sure, guys like me care about unlit towers (nothing like having one loom out of the darkness in the middle of nowhere and fly past you that you never saw, nor any supporting guy wires), but I don’t mind if those NOTAMS get sorted last behind everything else, just so long as I know where to look for them. In that vein, I face the same issue you do…..pertinent NOTAMs and them being all over the place. Same when I go fly the 737, my NOTAM priorities then change to what yours are.
At the time, no ordering or processing at all was done on destination station NOTAMs at Mormon West, leaving it as an Easter egg hunt for the crew. I don’t think that had changed as of the date of my resignation and it certainly had not changed on the paper flight releases (which I obstinately used as unlike the Surface paper cannot crash) though it’s possible that the dispatch software threw runways and the like up front, or provided some sort of interface that would require that at least the performance bits get run for a runway that was open.

Current employer at least puts **RWY** or **NAV** or something like that (amazing how you can read right through something you look at a lot) in front of, well, runway or navigation ones.

LNAV, MCP altitude, VNAV and speed intervention, amen.

I still like the old non precision descent rate to MDA, to give me a little time down there prior to the VDP (FW) or MAP (RW) rather than just hitting it like a DA and having to make an instant land or missed.

I still like the old non precision descent rate to MDA, to give me a little time down there prior to the VDP (FW) or MAP (RW) rather than just hitting it like a DA and having to make an instant land or missed.
I do too, if it’s just me and some poor CFII from the local flight school in the right seat of a DA-40 going to the airport I learned to do that at (can confirm I did it recently in that configuration and the wings didn’t explode).

Otherwise, anything larger or more serious, and a continuous descent — preferably with vertical guidance — and a derived decision altitude (or whatever it’s called wherever one works) will probably wind up being the winner. Most outfits don’t circle at anything less than VMC anyway, so the ‘hustle down to see the airport’ case just isn’t hugely there anymore.

I’m sure I can do it, I’m just not sure I should, and EMB-120 FO me would probably look at me sideways for saying so.

I do too, if it’s just me and some poor CFII from the local flight school in the right seat of a DA-40 going to the airport I learned to do that at (can confirm I did it recently in that configuration and the wings didn’t explode).

Otherwise, anything larger or more serious, and a continuous descent — preferably with vertical guidance — and a derived decision altitude (or whatever it’s called wherever one works) will probably wind up being the winner. Most outfits don’t circle at anything less than VMC anyway, so the ‘hustle down to see the airport’ case just isn’t hugely there anymore.

I’m sure I can do it, I’m just not sure I should, and EMB-120 FO me would probably look at me sideways for saying so.

I still do the old way in the 737 on a VOR approach….even with no autopilot or throttles sometimes, as we have the allowance to do it either way descent-wise, coupled or uncoupled; so it’s nice to be able to keep comfortable doing it each way…automated or not. It’s really a non-event even in the larger aircraft like this if flown smoothly.

Wait. You flew the Brasília????
1691540681703.gif

Back