Oh Alaska(n)

I’d rather bring my own, honestly. Which I suppose partially explains why I work at Do it Yourself Air.

I basically get to choose square or rectangle. Square is currently some kind of veggie option and rectangle is a piece of chicken. With some kind of rice and potatoes.

I’m kind of over bringing food with me mostly because of the hassle of finding a microwave. Trust me the food at our Fairbanks hotel is abysmal and walking around in -11F is not for me. I’d like to bring food but we rarely stay at a hotel with an in room microwave. Coordinating the maintenance guy bringing one up to my room isn’t exactly how want to enjoy my 11 hour overnight.

But like I said it’s better than not eating. Just.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I basically get to choose square or rectangle. Square is currently some kind of veggie option and rectangle is a piece of chicken. With some kind of rice and potatoes.

I’m kind of over bringing food with me mostly because of the hassle of finding a microwave. Trust me the food at our Fairbanks hotel is abysmal and walking around in -11F is not for me. I’d like to bring food but we rarely stay at a hotel with an in room microwave. Coordinating the maintenance guy bringing one up to my room isn’t exactly how want to enjoy my 11 hour overnight.

Do you even salad, bro? No microwave required.

It’s the same two meals for 6 months

We finally have first class meals as crew meals. A huge improvement from before. We have two separate menus, B/L/D for short haul and B/L/D for long haul and the late night H meal. If I'm doing the math right it's 7 different possibilities.

I got a FAI overnight for the first time in April. Is there Uber Eats?

Wow, all A320s, 321NEOs, and Q400s parked by EOY 2023 :oops:

Operating a single, more efficient fleet:
Today, the company will share plans to accelerate the transition of its fleet of 300+ aircraft to all-Boeing 737 for its mainline operations and all-Embraer E175 jets for regional, by the end of 2023. Consistent with Alaska’s low-cost high productivity mindset, these transitions are expected to drive significant economic benefits. As the fleet grows to 400 aircraft by mid-decade, these will manifest through operational simplicity, flexibility and scalability, better fuel efficiency and reduced maintenance costs. The company is also growing cargo business operations by converting two passenger 737-800s to freighters, bringing the total freighter fleet to five.

Wow, all A320s, 321NEOs, and Q400s parked by EOY 2023 :oops:

Operating a single, more efficient fleet:
Today, the company will share plans to accelerate the transition of its fleet of 300+ aircraft to all-Boeing 737 for its mainline operations and all-Embraer E175 jets for regional, by the end of 2023. Consistent with Alaska’s low-cost high productivity mindset, these transitions are expected to drive significant economic benefits. As the fleet grows to 400 aircraft by mid-decade, these will manifest through operational simplicity, flexibility and scalability, better fuel efficiency and reduced maintenance costs. The company is also growing cargo business operations by converting two passenger 737-800s to freighters, bringing the total freighter fleet to five.

That’s one way to solve a staffing problem I guess…

That’s one way to solve a staffing problem I guess…

It's still net more planes by EOY 23 for mainline.

Untitled.png

It's still net more planes by EOY 23 for mainline.

Untitled.png

You wanna know how I know Eskimo management is lying?

Their lips are moving or they put something in print.

I don’t believe anything other than the reserve staffing report that I just generated on Crew Access.

And guess what… at the current rate there is no possibility of staffing that kind of growth.

You wanna know how I know Eskimo management is lying?

Their lips are moving or they put something in print.

I don’t believe anything other than the reserve staffing report that I just generated on Crew Access.

And guess what… at the current rate there is no possibility of staffing that kind of growth.

2019 was 237 mainline planes, 2023 says 241 so a net gain of only 4. It seems like the focus going forward for the next 18-24 months is retraining all pilots from the Bus to Boeing. Not sure I'd call that growth, but they have a lot on their plate. The staffing issue you're talking about is a snap-shot in time. The reality is they are far behind on training cycles and people aren't getting out quick enough to cover the flying. This should be a short(ish) term problem.

2019 was 237 mainline planes, 2023 says 241 so a net gain of only 4. It seems like the focus going forward for the next 18-24 months is retraining all pilots from the Bus to Boeing. Not sure I'd call that growth, but they have a lot on their plate. The staffing issue you're talking about is a snap-shot in time. The reality is they are far behind on training cycles and people aren't getting out quick enough to cover the flying. This should be a short(ish) term problem.

It's a reduction because it's more efficient. With PBS it will be a further reduction because of increased efficiency.

Imagine if JetBlue had bought Virgin and actually used it to their advantage vs Alaska overpaying and botching every decision since then… we could have an all out war in California market, especially SFO. But apparently Alaska will just roll over and concede to anyone touching their turf.

Imagine if JetBlue had bought Virgin and actually used it to their advantage vs Alaska overpaying and botching every decision since then… we could have an all out war in California market, especially SFO. But apparently Alaska will just roll over and concede to anyone touching their turf.

The playbook is step over dollars to pick up pennies.

Back