Offered a position

GX

I'm still working through my commercial, but I made a stab at a LONG time contact through a cold call email and said in an very abbreviated way, "Hey, don't remember me, I remember you, need a ferry pilot?" He wrote back and said, YES!!, give me your times for insurance, and I did.

So you know, I'm LOW time at just over 500 hours. I've got a PPL w an Instrument, complex, tailwheel, and hp. I'll be done w CSEL, before end this month, CMEL shortly after that. I'm just taking shots at guys I've met along the way and trying to create opportunities for myself. This is a good fit because it's local.

Haven't gone beyond that. So that I'm not cutting myself short, I'm asking you guys what's the next step, and what should I ask for compensation when doing a ferry trip?

Any other input would be GREATLY appreciated. This is YOUR opportunity to speak up and kindly tell me what I need to do to not "undercut the rest of you".... rabble rabble rabble.

Yes, I do feel like I just caught a tiger with no plan on what to do with it.

Do YOU have an ISSUE YOU'D like to SHARE with the CLASS?

Who? Me? I do. I've wanted to fly airplanes since I was born at Clark AB in 1975 and never had the confidence to fly until I was 34. True. That's my issue. And now I've caught a tiger. Another issue. I'd like to figure out how to deal with it without creating disharmony with the natives. THAT is my issue.

Since you asked.... :biggrin:

would you at least be willing to tell us what kind of operation you've hooked up with?

would you at least be willing to tell us what kind of operation you've hooked up with?

They do used aircraft sales. A brokerage? Like Courtesy Aircraft...

Used car dealer of airplanes? :D Kidding, but not sure of what the designator would be in aviation.

How steady is the work? What will you be expected to do outside of ferrying? Any training of the new owners? What types of aircraft? Just 172s and simple piston singles, or faster, more complex aircraft, or slower, underpowered aircraft that you actually need some skills to fly safely?

I work occasionally for my old boss (an aircraft broker) ferrying. Not bragging, but I would consider myself a an experienced ferry pilot...several thousand hours, time in dozens of makes/models, flown to all corners of the country in all conditions. In other words, I know how to take good care of aircraft and deliver them safely, and my estimates for delivery times/expenses are usually right on.

He charges the client $300/day + expenses (actual cost of food, hotel, airline tickets, etc.). I get paid $210/day + expenses. I have absolutely no issue with my boss taking the $90/day cut because he's the one who sets everything up, covers me under his insurance policy, etc. It's super hassle free on my end. All I have to do is minor coordination with the client and show up to fly.

Hope this helps.

Brilliant. Headed into a meeting. Will answer all the questions this evening.

Sent from the horse's mouth

How steady is the work? What will you be expected to do outside of ferrying? Any training of the new owners? What types of aircraft? Just 172s and simple piston singles, or faster, more complex aircraft, or slower, underpowered aircraft that you actually need some skills to fly safely?

I work occasionally for my old boss (an aircraft broker) ferrying. Not bragging, but I would consider myself a an experienced ferry pilot...several thousand hours, time in dozens of makes/models, flown to all corners of the country in all conditions. In other words, I know how to take good care of aircraft and deliver them safely, and my estimates for delivery times/expenses are usually right on.

He charges the client $300/day + expenses (actual cost of food, hotel, airline tickets, etc.). I get paid $210/day + expenses. I have absolutely no issue with my boss taking the $90/day cut because he's the one who sets everything up, covers me under his insurance policy, etc. It's super hassle free on my end. All I have to do is minor coordination with the client and show up to fly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. If you'll re-read my OP, you'll see that I am just past the sending a cold call email to someone that I met years ago, and got a reply. It would be logical that we are going to sit down and talk about the things that you've outlined. The 1st 2 questions, I have no idea. Training new owners? Probably not until I finish my CFI? But not sure. Aircraft types are single and twin piston, turbine. Both the high and low horsepower varieties. There are also jets listed, but I'm not sure how much movement is done with those, and there's a type rating issue, of which I have none.

That's all that I know at this point.

Hope this helps.

Had a great meeting yesterday. Took all of your questions with me. Here's what I've found:

Work is sporadic right now. Economy. Things not moving, etc.
I can get into selling, if I wish, and will make a percentage on that sale. No expectations other than that. Call at each fuel stop in the event of any changes.
No training of new owners. Unless it is negotiated in the contract, and I would be paid for that, pay is based on airplane size (single, twin, turbine, etc.)
Aircraft type is everything. From a Cub to Lears. Pay is $200 / day, plus per diem, and all travel expenses.

Did I miss anything?

Make sure they are actually insuring you. Flying other people's airplanes for $ means their insurance is void 99% of the time... so somebody better have coverage. You might still want to get your own liability coverage too.

Make sure they are actually insuring you. Flying other people's airplanes for $ means their insurance is void 99% of the time... so somebody better have coverage. You might still want to get your own liability coverage too.

Great tip. I was told that I was listed on the brokerage's policy. Is there such a thing?

If they took your times and cert info, they probably covered you, but I'd ask for a copy of the policy... just tell them you are looking at liability insurance and want to see what coverage is provided while you are flying with them... better to have real knowledge rather than find out later you were not sufficiently protected.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you not going to be flying large or turbine equipment off the bat?

The opportunity is there to fly that stuff, yes, but it's all SIC, obviously. The pay scale slides based on the equipment type. I will be flying single and twin piston PIC, turbine SIC for the time.

Back