Obama administration and user fees

Past proposals called for assessing a fee for using ATC services. Fly IFR, pay a fee. Pick up flight following, pay a fee.

Frankly, I'm not surprised by this move. Everyone that flies an airplane must be wealthy :sarcasm:, so we're just another untapped source of income to fund their spending. They'll use the user fees to divert normal budget money away from the FAA to pay for something else.

Expect to see more fees and taxes suggested on anything that the great unwashed look at as a "rich man's hobby".

Yup, foreign airline training sponsorship programs are looking more and more appealing to me...

Past proposals called for assessing a fee for using ATC services. Fly IFR, pay a fee. Pick up flight following, pay a fee.

Frankly, I'm not surprised by this move. Everyone that flies an airplane must be wealthy :sarcasm:, so we're just another untapped source of income to fund their spending. They'll use the user fees to divert normal budget money away from the FAA to pay for something else.

Expect to see more fees and taxes suggested on anything that the great unwashed look as a "rich man's hobby".

So how would that charged? If I go rent an aircraft and use FF, how will they know it is me? Would you pay upon landing? Or would it be billed to the registered owner?

Or would it be billed to the registered owner?

You got it. I suspect if you rent airplanes from a local FBO they'll probably just figure out who flew what when, or more likely, will just raise their rental rates to average out the expense.

You use other government services, you pay for them.

Frankly, I'm not surprised by this move. Everyone that flies an airplane must be wealthy :sarcasm:, so we're just another untapped source of income to fund their spending.

You fly GA, you've got to have disposable income. I don't fly GA because I can't afford it.

They'll use the user fees to divert normal budget money away from the FAA to pay for something else.

Maybe, maybe not. Republicans would. The Obama administration just put the war "on the books." So far, they've been averse to using budgeting tricks like using the credits from airline user taxes to artificially lower the deficit like Republicans did.

Expect to see more fees and taxes suggested on anything that the great unwashed look at as a "rich man's hobby".

Again, joe six pack can't afford to fly. So, if you can, expect to pay for the services you use. The NAS is owned by EVERY taxpayer, not just you GA guys.

Don't we pay enought federal taxes and aviation fuel taxes to prevent user fees? Think of all the people that want to become commercial pilots that now won't be able to since they have to pay user fees on top of rental/instructor costs. IMO.

I wonder if you could avoid the fees by flying from uncontrolled airports, not filing a flight plan, and avoiding FF or IFR? Only use IFR for currency or when you absolutely, positively have to be there overnight.

Of course, this would cause a spike in crashes as everyone knows that most crashes are caused by the lack of a flight plan and flying in uncontrolled airspace.

The airline guys are going to generally be for this. I view it as a way to push costs of a system that pretty much makes the airlines possible onto GA, but that is just me. Something needs to change with the system, just not sure this is it.

Can someone tell me how the funding to the FAA was working prior to deregulation? Were they underfunded at that point?

I think that on top of generating savings for the airlines, Velo is also supportive because it would potentially diminish pilot training starts. This, coupled with retirements at age 65 would potentially exacerbate a pilot shortage and thereby create upward pressure upon airline pilot wages. Probably not soon enough for Velo, but it would help pilot wages in the long run I would think.

You use other government services, you pay for them.

On one hand, I agree. However, I'm getting tired of the government sticking its hand out for more of my hard earned money because of their fiscal irresponsibility. Funding legitimate functions of government need to come before unfunded entitlements. The FAA is a legitimate (albeit onerous) function to provide for the national airspace infrastructure, just like the USDOT provides for roads and rail.

If the government had its proirities straight, I may support some kind of reasonable, service level proprortional (ie., IFR between two low traffic uncontrolled fields), fee if and only if they stated it was in an attempt to lower fuel taxes to a small degree to lessen the cost to those who did not utilize ATC on a regular basis. Otherwise, they are just double-dipping.

You fly GA, you've got to have disposable income. I don't fly GA because I can't afford it.
Which is my main argument against them. No fee or tax should EVER be assessed on ability to pay. Period. Nobody should ever have to justify how they make their money and/or be penalized for what they choose to spend it on, as long as it is done legally and ethically. It just reeks of wealth envy and class warfare otherwise.

Maybe, maybe not. Republicans would. The Obama administration just put the war "on the books." So far, they've been averse to using budgeting tricks like using the credits from airline user taxes to artificially lower the deficit like Republicans did.
I agree, the Democrats are actually honest about their intention to increase deficits and the national debt. How refreshing.

Again, joe six pack can't afford to fly. So, if you can, expect to pay for the services you use. The NAS is owned by EVERY taxpayer, not just you GA guys.
I already pay every time I fly, even though I may not (typically don't) utilize ATC services each time I fly. There are already excise taxes placed on every gallon of 100LL I burn.

It's the Boo Hoo game.

Everyone wants to use the NAS but nobody wants to pay for it. As was stated taxes do go toward the NAS and therefore everyone pays.

It, however, does parallel what I think is Obama's platform of sharing responsibility to pay for things- not just the upper escheon elite. Now weekend warrior is complaining that they might have to pay for a weather briefing. Boo Hoo. It's like me trying to complain about having to pay registration taxes on my car. I use a car, therefore I pay.

Toll Roads are BS....and this is even a larger pile.

I'm not aware of any Federally ran Toll Roads.

Sounds like your issue is with the states, not the federal government. But, you didn't provide enough information for one to make that determination.

Just a thought.

Something I would never do....

Just file under a different call sign. Take off, use some random call sign and then cancel in the air. If you do an approach into an uncontrolled airport, they wouldnt be any the wiser, and if its controlled well you could risk that the tower doesnt pulled out the binoculars (I know some 172s that have tiny writing) or just that once use the right call sign.

I could see getting charged for a fee and then someone complaining that they werent even in the air at that time.

Barty,

If you want to fly recreationally, go ahead. Just stay VFR and out of busy airports and traffic areas and you're golden.

Something I would never do....

Just file under a different call sign. Take off, use some random call sign and then cancel in the air. If you do an approach into an uncontrolled airport, they wouldnt be any the wiser, and if its controlled well you could risk that the tower doesnt pulled out the binoculars (I know some 172s that have tiny writing) or just that once use the right call sign.

I could see getting charged for a fee and then someone complaining that they werent even in the air at that time.
I like it... falsification of identity... isn't that one of the dis-qualifiers on a new hire form?

I like it... falsification of identity... isn't that one of the dis-qualifiers on a new hire form?

I said I would never do it, I cant afford to even get gas for a GA plane, and you cant fake gas. But I have seen some REALLY STUPID weekend warriors who could give 2 craps about following FARs and I could see doing what I said above.

I had a student weekend warrior who bought a plane that magically made its way from one airport to our airport. He just kind of mumbled a story when I asked who physically flew it over, and I was on lesson #5 with him.

Back