Obama administration and user fees

Ahhhhh there is the "Change" all the Obama disciples were so anxiously awaiting. Obama is going to "change" the money in your pocket into his. Enjoy libs.

Well, between the traffic avoidance systems out there and the nice shiny avionics, hello bootleg IFR.

Nothing, if you turn the transponder off and keep a good listen on the CTAF.

OK, this argument about "disposable income" and "you should pay the fees" is crap. Velo, I know you make more money than I do but somehow I am able to support my hobby of GA. Hell, I am a lowly enlisted guy in the military. It MY choice how I spend my money. Do you have children? Maybe that is where your money goes...that's your choice. Maybe you should pay MORE property taxes...you know, it should be progressive but guess what? It doesn't work that was and I bet you get a tax break for having kids. I don't have kids yet I get no breaks. How many small businesses (in this case the independent CFI, mom and pop FBOs and such) will be driven out of business by this? The airlines need to shut up and pay for the system THEY TAX the hell out of. Besides, they dump the costs on the passengers anyway. Amazing how a pro union guy will stand up for an airline when it comes to sticking it to the little guy.

Well, between the traffic avoidance systems out there and the nice shiny avionics, hello bootleg IFR.

:yar:

I can start to see the NTSB reports involving scud running, busting minimums and all sorts of stuff. Unbelievable.
And the ripple effect on the GA economy! You know it's the career CFI or A&P who will be jobless when his/her shop closes, right? All those mom & pop places that serve folks like me who are NOT wealthy at all...

Seriously I find it incredible that some airline guys believe the user fees will give them more leverage. Airlines WILL come up with something (MPL, Ab-initio, lower minimums drastically etc etc etc) to offset the "pilot shortage". In this country, where it is so easy to become a commercial pilot and so many people are willing to even do PFJ, user fees will change nothing. To the contrary, potential jobs in GA that could help you in a furlough simply won't be there.

No, no, it's OK...those little airplane drivers are dangerous and unprofessional anyway.

I'd like there to be fewer pilots as well to increase bargaining leverage but I don't see user fees flying, pun intended, in this country at this time. But depending on how the economy goes I can see it happening by 2011.

I don't like user fees, I've flown in the UK and it is pretty awful.

Double-whammy pilot shortage in 2012 -- the beginning of 65 y/o retirements and nobody trained in 2011.

So how would that charged? If I go rent an aircraft and use FF, how will they know it is me? Would you pay upon landing? Or would it be billed to the registered owner?

This is how:
466417831_ntEhp-L.jpg

When I took that picture in New Zealand everyone looked at me like I had a third eye. I explained to them that we don't have user fees....yet.

Thats the perfect thing to do in a slumping economy; shutdown an entire industry!

Let's face it, flying is not something (aside for airline flights) done by the majority of the electorate. In fact, it is seen as an elitist hobby or a "rich fat cat" luxury used by "greedy" corporations that are out to screw you.

Taxing the NAS will only affect those who can afford it...and if you can afford it, you basically SHOULD pay. Cause it's only fair right?

More and more I'm amazed at how we're turning into a Euro-State, just add this to the list.

Re: User fees...again

I finally found where the footnote was applied. It's on p122 under "Tax Cuts for Businesses" and "Modify FAA Financing."

"The Budget proposes repealing some aviation excise taxes and replacing these taxes with direct user charges. The cost of repealing the excise taxes is reflected here. The user charges are considered discretionary and offset discretionary budget authority and outlays.

It's smoke and mirrors.

The User Fee issue is going to come down to what lobby has the stronger pull on the hill, AOPA or the airlines. From what I understand, the Feds are claiming that user fees will be used to fix the systems that cause delays at many of the airports around the country. But in reality how many GA aircraft pop into the pattern at SFO or JFK? I would say that the Feds should get in on the landing fees that some airports charge. Right now the way I understand it, the fees I pay for flying GA go to local/state governments. I don't know how much the feds get for tax on 100LL or if any of a landing/overnight fee.

Velo,
there are many government services that are available that you and I pay for, but may never need. And to say the GA flying is a rich mans game... tell that to the guy flying his luscombe, taylor craft or 152. Most SUV's cost more than many GA aircraft. I will say that this is the continuation of GHB desire to grow government beyond all control. Can you imagine the bureaucracy to support the issuance of user fees?

Double-whammy pilot shortage in 2012 -- the beginning of 65 y/o retirements and nobody trained in 2011.

Hell yeah!!! More jobs opportunities for me...I'm selfish and only thinking of myself (thats what my mom always used to tell me!!)

It's the Boo Hoo game.

Everyone wants to use the NAS but nobody wants to pay for it. As was stated taxes do go toward the NAS and therefore everyone pays.

It, however, does parallel what I think is Obama's platform of sharing responsibility to pay for things- not just the upper escheon elite. Now weekend warrior is complaining that they might have to pay for a weather briefing. Boo Hoo. It's like me trying to complain about having to pay registration taxes on my car. I use a car, therefore I pay.

You're unreal. To somehow believe that you are already NOT paying for the ATC system is pure stupidity. Sales tax, gas tax, property tax, travel taxes/fees, luxury tax, and so forth and just a few of the existing taxes.

You are paying the FBO via rental charges for airplane registrations - both federal and state. You pay the FBO for their annual property tax. You pay the FBO to gas the airplane up which includes tax.

This whole argument that you pay for what you use is absurd. I find anyone who supports such legislation to be out of touch with their roots (if you weren't a military-god snob) and suggest you re-think your position and how it damages the back bone of this country which is GA.

Back