NoPolitics: Airplanes you like that no one else does

The LaGG-3. Not because it was a good plane, as it was absolutely terrible, but because it’s pilots decided LaGG stood for Lakirovanny Garantirovanny Grob – the Varnished Guaranteed Coffin.
Puhlease
Early versions carried to many guns for the engine, true, but think about it this way -
Three major fighter designers in USSR at the time
- Mikoyan
- Yakovlev
- Lavochkin

First two with major hookups in the government, and Yak did go from the early -1 into -3 and -7B/-9 series, but the LaGG-3 went into -5/-5F/-5FN/-7 series and later -9/-11 into the 50s.

The -300s were from Tyrolean in Austria. As far as I know C5 has never had anything from Qantas. You may be confusing QX, which is Horizon's 2 letter code.
Yep, those were the other tail numbers as well. I think I saw a stack of them all white and blue of US Airways colors in Great Falls

The Yak-52

There were a bunch of the based at T67 when I instructed there. They'd all fly out at the same time and have a lot of fun in them.

The Yak-52

There were a bunch of the based at T67 when I instructed there. They'd all fly out at the same time and have a lot of fun in them.

that’s kind of on my “goals” list cause I’ll never afford a real warbird or even a T-6 but you can get a -52 for $80k

Reactions: KLB

Coincidentally I just watched an old episode of “ABCs Wide World of Flying” and the late Jeff Ethell did a segment on it. It was apparently somewhat of a challenge to fly because of the noise level and had some quirks in the systems and handling.

FWIW all the old WWF episodes are on YouTube. They’re all post-GA apocalypse (1986 or so), but still have this adorable optimism that it might actually recover. Some are unintentionally funny, showing the introduction of computer based briefings and filing, the beginnings of GPS, engine monitors, etc. Phil Boyer was such a great spokesman for GA.

that’s kind of on my “goals” list cause I’ll never afford a real warbird or even a T-6 but you can get a -52 for $80k
Why would you assume a T-6 is unattainable? It would certainly be expensive and impractical, but if that's the sort of thing that gets your blood flowing a bit harder you might regret not having scratched that itch on your death bed. If you can afford it, do it.

My father and a few of his buddies supposedly bought one of these to get their ME's inexpensively (1941 civ version). The story goes that they brought it to N87, proudly announced their acquisition to the MEI and brought him out to view it. Not being in what one might call "pristine" condition, he instantly refused to fly in it.

Dad_AV_0009_a.jpg

He finally reversed after careful inspection by an A&P he trusted....at their expense of course...
No expert in older air frames but this is my father in front of what I think is his Bamboo Bomber.

Why would you assume a T-6 is unattainable? It would certainly be expensive and impractical, but if that's the sort of thing that gets your blood flowing a bit harder you might regret not having scratched that itch on your death bed. If you can afford it, do it.

getting a fligjt in one, sure no problem. Owning one? That’s above my pay grade, unless I can live in it too.

edit; although a quick google search shows they’re not actually as expensive as I thought they were, not counting maintenance and fuel

getting a fligjt in one, sure no problem. Owning one? That’s above my pay grade, unless I can live in it too.

edit; although a quick google search shows they’re not actually as expensive as I thought they were, not counting maintenance and fuel

You can get one for as cheap as 55 grand.

Granted I haven’t looked very much but I’ve never seen one anywhere near that cheap

They're out there!

Right now it’s the Cobalt Valkyrie. No it’s not out yet. And no the PIC seat is not in the center. But I think this is the sexiest plane GA plans since the Beech Starship.

Attachments

• B0119BBB-FE7F-4DD2-809D-59A7A6117840.jpeg
    B0119BBB-FE7F-4DD2-809D-59A7A6117840.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 36
Back