Noise Abatement

You should play it differently. Pretend you are the person in charge of the whole shebang.

"Yes ma'am thank you for your call. We here at Podunk Field consider this to be a terroristic threat. Can you hold for a minute? I need to call (nearest) Airforce Base to have the F-15s set out to shoot them down.

...oh they're right over your house?

...oh that's not good for you.

You might want to get in your car and drive to ___ for a few hours. It might take them a while to actually get a good shot at the violating aircraft and I don't want you to be inside if any parts of the plane end up crashing into the house.

Yes ma'am. Yes. Yes, we'll be sure to take care of it. Thank you. Good luck er...I mean good night!"

-mini

Thats funny right thar, I dont care who you are.

Similar experience, when I worked at an FBO in college, we always had folks calling in about the air ambulance helos flying over their houses. It always astounds me how comfortable and lazy we have become as a culture, that we have the time and ability to go to such great lengths to complain about such insignificant crap.

I live next to the 880 freeway in the bay area and past ten I hear cars, motorcyles and semis driving on it, even behind a large wall. They should shut down the freeways in urban areas at night because I choose to live close to the freeway. :sarcasm:

I live next to the 880 freeway in the bay area and past ten I hear cars, motorcyles and semis driving on it, even behind a large wall. They should shut down the freeways in urban areas at night because I choose to live close to the freeway. :sarcasm:
Yeah mang! That's what I'm talkin' about! Those rude drivers! Don't they know that I'm trying to sleep!?!?!111111oneoneeleven

mandatory%206%20ear%20protection.gif

millions were wasted when these cost a few bucks...

or what about living around train tracks, do those people call everytime a train goes by?

"Hi, Yea I uh live next to this here train track and a train goes by all the time and it's loud. He, I'd like to have somethin done about that. They didn't tell me trains traveled on this track when I bought this house, they said it was decoration or somethin like that."

Holy graphicasaurus, Batman!

lol. i got a big point to make, thats all...

but seriously, there are so many points of transportation that people could complain being too loud. I dont know why they live near the train tracks or airport or local pony express station and complain about it? :dunno:

These are the kinds of fields that I'd love to take an old-school Sabreliner 40 with J60 turbojets, or a Lear 23 with CJ-610s, or an old Jetstar.....and takeoff at 0300.

Nice idea, practice a few nocturnal GPS approaches in the Jetstar and go screaming with all four engines as high up as they can go without overspeeding anything sticking out or bustin' the speed limit.
Bwaaah haaah haaah

I remember when I was working the ramp for AA on the graveyard in SAN; NWA would always ferry in an A320 for the morning schedule. They'd always come in at idle and coast to the end using only braking. I thought it was pretty cool, because you'd never hear them till they got to the end and taxied up to the terminal.

There has been a fake noise abatement thing at my airport for a while.

Wind below 8 kts use runway 25.

After sunset, no touch and goes on runway 7.

Take a gander in the AFD and the only thing in there is "calm wind runway 25". Nothing about noise.

In the end a Part 135 cargo op uses 7 anytime they want to with no complaints that I know of.

Anyone wonder why JetBlue has ops at LAX now?

Well it has much to do with the amount they are fined by the city of Long Beach (LGB) due to their noise ordinances and curfew. The city promised long ago to build a modern terminal to keep JB at LGB. No joy yet. So they pay lots of fines and don't get much back. Perhaps JB will leave the ghetto that is LGB. Once they do and if Boeing closes the C-17 line all the evil people who live around there and bitch will be happy.

There are so many people who live near LGB and bitch about it yet don't realize how much it serves the community. It has been asked before but I'll ask again...why move near an airport and then complain about noise? UGH! There should definitely be a day when all kinds of older jet aircraft fly in and out and the next day it is back to normal ops. These people would think it was a quiet pasture w/o all the black smoking engines and NOISE!

or what about living around train tracks, do those people call everytime a train goes by?

"Hi, Yea I uh live next to this here train track and a train goes by all the time and it's loud. He, I'd like to have somethin done about that. They didn't tell me trains traveled on this track when I bought this house, they said it was decoration or somethin like that."

I have to wonder how many NIMBYs out there own a leaf blower, Harley with straight pipes, car/truck, kids, a dog (especially one of those yippy little things that are smaller than a cat and yipe constantly), or anything else that makes ANY noise above ambient and might possibly offend me. How dare anyone make noise of any kind!!???
I just got back from my parents' in the Boston area. There's a group of NIMBY lawyers who were threatening to sue pilots who had the nerve to train over Harvard, MA and DARE to disrupt their peaceful existence. They were trying to ban flight training over the town, since, as we all know, flight training is completely unnecessary :sarcasm: .
Anyone from 6B6/BED area have any updated intel on these freaks? I saw a Citabria up doing acro all week over Bolton, and MAN was I offended. I actually missed my daughter jumping into the pool once out of 238,764,328 times because the noise was so deafening from ~4000ft that I had to look up and check out a Cuban 8. The horror....

Kind of like Dirty Jobs, there's stuff that needs to get done that will make noise. Deal with it.

Anyone from 6B6/BED area have any updated intel on these freaks? I saw a Citabria up doing acro all week over Bolton, and MAN was I offended.

Nothing new, but when I used to live up there, I remember people would sit with binoculars, and write letters to the FAA about every tail number they could see (not hear, see!).

Seemed strange to me, people who bought houses next to an AIR FORCE BASE complaining about light aircraft.

I've had my fair share of involvement in the SDL noise abatement issues, even being interviewed in a newspaper article during a meeting over the issue a few years back. But SDL's noise abatement regulations and associated office are no comparison to KSAN. Was planning a flight to go into and out of there, until I checked the noise abatement rules and associated NOTAMs and called for further clarification. Basically, I could land but not takeoff from 2330-0630....or else. The guy at airport ops said takeoff wouldn't be prohibited, but that the fines noted below would be required to be assessed. I ended up going to Montgomery instead. Here's the draconian rules I found, that were confirmed when I called:

And I thought Scottsdale, AZ was bad. Anyone know any similar draconian measures?

Just point them to 91.175. ODPs take precedent over noise abatement all the time if you are departing under IFR (not IMC, IFR)

Just point them to 91.175. ODPs take precedent over noise abatement all the time if you are departing under IFR (not IMC, IFR)

It's worse than that. Its not how you takeoff, the noise abatement is that if you takeoff at all between those hours, you're fined.

Back