Noise Abatement

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I've had my fair share of involvement in the SDL noise abatement issues, even being interviewed in a newspaper article during a meeting over the issue a few years back. But SDL's noise abatement regulations and associated office are no comparison to KSAN. Was planning a flight to go into and out of there, until I checked the noise abatement rules and associated NOTAMs and called for further clarification. Basically, I could land but not takeoff from 2330-0630....or else. The guy at airport ops said takeoff wouldn't be prohibited, but that the fines noted below would be required to be assessed. I ended up going to Montgomery instead. Here's the draconian rules I found, that were confirmed when I called:

Noise sensitive area all quadrants. Request that pilots use best FAA/Company noise abatement procedures. Pilots requested to minimize use of reverse thrust consistent with the safe operation of the aircraft to minimize noise impact on the surrounding community.

- No noise-related arrival curfew.
- All takeoffs prohibited 11:30 pm - 6:30 am.
- Takeoff prohibited 10 pm -11:30 pm and 6:30 am - 7:00 am for aircraft not Stage 3 certificated per FAR 36 or aircraft exceeding 104 EPNdB at the takeoff reference point per AC 36-1H or AC 36-2C are prohibited.

Exceptions are permitted for emergency situations and coordinated mercy flights only.

For violations of the time of day (Noise curfew) requirements, the operator may be assessed $2000 for the first violation per calendar quarter, $6000 for a second violation per calendar quarter and $10,000 for a third violation per calendar quarter. In the latter case, operating privileges may be terminated permanently. Additionally, a multiplier factor will be assessed to the violation amounts noted above against operators based on the number of penalized violations in the previous six calendar months. Termination of operating privileges after three infractions in a single (6 month) violation period is still an option.

And I thought Scottsdale, AZ was bad. Anyone know any similar draconian measures?

I've had my fair share of involvement in the SDL noise abatement issues, even being interviewed in a newspaper article during a meeting over the issue a few years back. But SDL's noise abatement regulations and associated office are no comparison to KSAN. Was planning a flight to go into and out of there, until I checked the noise abatement rules and associated NOTAMs and called for further clarification. Basically, I could land but not takeoff from 2330-0630....or else. The guy at airport ops said takeoff wouldn't be prohibited, but that the fines noted below would be required to be assessed. I ended up going to Montgomery instead. Here's the draconian rules I found, that were confirmed when I called:

And I thought Scottsdale, AZ was bad. Anyone know any similar draconian measures?
Does that apply to LE operations? or are you civing it?

Does that apply to LE operations? or are you civing it?

Yes was LE, and applies to LE ops too. Mercy flights and emergencies are exempt; military required the 175/1801 to be faxed over. The guy I talked to was very apologetic, but said it'd be his job if he didn't file a proper report. I didn't want to put him in any kind of bind.

SNA March 2006. Departed KLAX at 10:45pm. KSNA curfew is 11pm. Enroute time was extended to 11:05pm. Crossed the marker at 11:06, go around intiated at 11:07. Next day CP contacted me and said that if we would have landed, our company would have been fined $10,000.

Is a helicopter takeoff any louder than a helicopter landing? If not, then that does seem like a weird rule.

These are the kinds of fields that I'd love to take an old-school Sabreliner 40 with J60 turbojets, or a Lear 23 with CJ-610s, or an old Jetstar.....and takeoff at 0300.

These are the kinds of fields that I'd love to take an old-school Sabreliner 40 with J60 turbojets, or a Lear 23 with CJ-610s, or an old Jetstar.....and takeoff at 0300.

seriously. you live near an airport. deal. KMHR a few years ago had a bunch of new development when the field was de-militarized. After people moved in, they started to :soapbox: about it. Why don't these people do there due diligence?

I remember the police coming to meet me at KPVC a few years back, for the horrible crime of going around after 8PM.

Interestingly enough, the KSAN airport authority has spent tens of millions over the last couple of years "noise proofing" all of the houses anywhere near the prevailing takeoff route. My buddy owns a house in the neighborhood and they paid almost $150K for the retrofit of his house alone! WTF?

Interestingly enough, the KSAN airport authority has spent tens of millions over the last couple of years "noise proofing" all of the houses anywhere near the prevailing takeoff route. My buddy owns a house in the neighborhood and they paid almost $150K for the retrofit of his house alone! WTF?

No wonder......with this as well as many other ills it has.....that California is financially bankrupt.

Don't put large suburban areas near airports, when you bought your house you knew there was an airport nearby, deal with it.

Don't put large suburban areas near airports, when you bought your house you knew there was an airport nearby, deal with it.

LOL. I worked graveyard at the FBO here on Friday and Saturday nights for a while. 10:00PM to 6:00AM. I would get random phone calls from home owners complaining about airplanes flying around their house. I would just tell them I can't do anything about it and they can call the city on Monday.

LOL. I worked graveyard at the FBO here on Friday and Saturday nights for a while. 10:00PM to 6:00AM. I would get random phone calls from home owners complaining about airplanes flying around their house. I would just tell them I can't do anything about it and they can call the city on Monday.
You should play it differently. Pretend you are the person in charge of the whole shebang.

"Yes ma'am thank you for your call. We here at Podunk Field consider this to be a terroristic threat. Can you hold for a minute? I need to call (nearest) Airforce Base to have the F-15s set out to shoot them down.

...oh they're right over your house?

...oh that's not good for you.

You might want to get in your car and drive to ___ for a few hours. It might take them a while to actually get a good shot at the violating aircraft and I don't want you to be inside if any parts of the plane end up crashing into the house.

Yes ma'am. Yes. Yes, we'll be sure to take care of it. Thank you. Good luck er...I mean good night!"

-mini

You should play it differently. Pretend you are the person in charge of the whole shebang.

"Yes ma'am thank you for your call. We here at Podunk Field consider this to be a terroristic threat. Can you hold for a minute? I need to call (nearest) Airforce Base to have the F-15s set out to shoot them down.

...oh they're right over your house?

...oh that's not good for you.

You might want to get in your car and drive to ___ for a few hours. It might take them a while to actually get a good shot at the violating aircraft and I don't want you to be inside if any parts of the plane end up crashing into the house.

Yes ma'am. Yes. Yes, we'll be sure to take care of it. Thank you. Good luck er...I mean good night!"

-mini

Yes, oh god YES! Would this be illegal....screw it, do it anyway! :D

It would be great if you could just say "enjoy living by the airport" ?

Just saying it would be nice to deliver the truth to people. :)

Back