No more Brasilias at SkyWest...

GremlinHeaven

The rumors actually came true this time. From the press release:

SkyWest, Inc. (NASDAQ: SKYW) today announced fleet
transitions and contract updates designed to improve SkyWest’s overall efficiency and long-term
profitability. Specifically, SkyWest announced that SkyWest Airlines, Inc., its wholly-owned
subsidiary (“SkyWest Airlines”), intends to transition to an all-jet fleet by removing all remaining
30-seat Embraer 120 Brasilia turboprop aircraft (the “EMB 120s”) from service by summer 2015.
The EMB 120 fleet retirement comes, in part, in response to increased costs and additional
challenges associated with new FAR117 flight and duty rules, implemented in January 2014.

From the memo to pilots, sounds like a gradual wind down with the last airplane to be gone by the end of April.

The rumors actually came true this time. From the press release:

SkyWest, Inc. (NASDAQ: SKYW) today announced fleet
transitions and contract updates designed to improve SkyWest’s overall efficiency and long-term
profitability. Specifically, SkyWest announced that SkyWest Airlines, Inc., its wholly-owned
subsidiary (“SkyWest Airlines”), intends to transition to an all-jet fleet by removing all remaining
30-seat Embraer 120 Brasilia turboprop aircraft (the “EMB 120s”) from service by summer 2015.
The EMB 120 fleet retirement comes, in part, in response to increased costs and additional
challenges associated with new FAR117 flight and duty rules, implemented in January 2014.

From the memo to pilots, sounds like a gradual wind down with the last airplane to be gone by the end of April.
Pretty brisk pace for a wind-down. We all sort of knew it was coming, with a date TBD. My money was on September, actually. I missed.

I had a LOT of fun on the Brasilia; it was a privilege to fly it.

Incidentally, this news comes with news of the closure of the pilot and flight attendant base in San Luis Obispo as well.

I bitched and bitched about that plane, the overnights and the trips but i learned more in 6 months on that plane than i think I did in 10 years on anything else. I'm really glad I took the risk and upgraded on it, I know i would not be where I am today.
Very educational, fun to fly, and probably the hardest I've worked.

You had an Autopilot, F/A, Bathroom, and APU = not work.

He said the hardest HE has worked. Not the hardest ANYONE has worked ;).

And compared to the plane he's on now, he did work. Hell, even I have to do more work than him now!

Pretty brisk pace for a wind-down. We all sort of knew it was coming, with a date TBD. My money was on September, actually. I missed.

I had a LOT of fun on the Brasilia; it was a privilege to fly it.

Incidentally, this news comes with news of the closure of the pilot and flight attendant base in San Luis Obispo as well.
Any idea where they are going?

Back