No more Brasilias at SkyWest...

I'm not so we don't need to play that game. I actually bid reserve November and December for the holidays off.

It's a bad idea.
Why?

Beyond "that's not how we've always done it," of course. If punted an offer with non-lousy (e.g., a good) reserve setup that rotated through the company, plus some things that made it a good deal for the pilot group...would you say no?

(Edit: I'm not being flippant, I'm genuinely serious)

Seriously???

Yup, particularly if the reserve system is decent. I'm willing to be on reserve for one month every 1.5 years in exchange for the benefit of the whole pilot group never having to sit reserve for extended periods.

It's not a big deal if you're growing, but at my last company some guys were on reserve 5 YEARS. That's just brutal, especially at a regional.

I understand the seniority is everything mindset. I'm a senior (top 20%) FO in my base now, so it's not like I'm saying this as a reserve guy.

Why?

Beyond "that's not how we've always done it," of course. If punted an offer with non-lousy (e.g., a good) reserve setup that rotated through the company, plus some things that made it a good deal for the pilot group...would you say no?

(Edit: I'm not being flippant, I'm genuinely serious)

Because he didn't think of it, and his union bosses think seniority is everything.

It's the same reason medical residents work 80 hour weeks, because the attending had to pay their dues. Why should the new kids get it easier? Who the hell do they think they are?!?!?

What exactly is rotating reserve?

So if you have 500 pilots in a base per seat, and there are 50 reserves each month, you would fly reserve one month out of every 10, give or take. No one would fly reserve every month.

The rest of the bidding process is normal, so you hold what your seniority can hold when bidding a line, but reserve gets spread around.

So if you have 500 pilots in a base per seat, and there are 50 reserves each month, you would fly reserve one month out of every 10, give or take. No one would fly reserve every month.

The rest of the bidding process is normal, so you hold what your seniority can hold when bidding a line, but reserve gets spread around.
Thanks! If done properly that sounds pretty good. Right now every line at my place has one or two days of reserve per week built into the lines. But out schedules are a bit different. We have the same days off every week.

Back