No more Brasilias at SkyWest...

It's been hashed out for 17 pages. I think our positions are pretty clear.

And ditto.

Not really. Your responses this entire thread have made assumptions about our responses and questions that are incorrect. And you never answered how or why you would fire a guy who meets expectations. You just seem very dogmatic about your position, and you are certainly entitled to it regardless of the lack of logic. It's just baffling to try to understand it from the outside.

I'm fine with being done, but I am honestly curious about your position. I have a hard time believing that someone who actually owns a business would hold your beliefs.

I have a hard time believing that someone who actually owns a business would hold your beliefs.

And Wal Mart executives have a hard time believing that Costco is able to grow at an incredible rate while paying their employees double what Wal Mart does and providing them a full benefits package. Antiquated beliefs about how to treat employees hold businesses back.

Changing the subject - an interesting tactic. Im not sure why wages are coming in to this discussion, but we can add that on as well.

There are two different models at work in comparing Costco and WalMart. Costco uses less man-hours for comparable sales, and has lower turnover. They pay more to each employee, but employ fewer. There are many people that can not get a job at Costco due to a variety of reasons, and they end up at WalMart. Walmart pays less, but expects less. WalMart has a much higher turnover (nearly 10 times greater according to some reports) and much higher employee theft.

Costco also does not try to make a profit with the things that it sells, but rather makes over 80% of their revenue from membership fees. These fees make Costco a more "middle class" store, and they take in only a fraction of the food stamps/wic credits that Walmart does. Costco positions itself in more middle class areas, where as Walmart has no problem putting a store in a rather poor neighborhood.

In the end, both businesses are highly profitable, but do it in a different way. Both are established business models that have been used for decades.

Last edited:
Changing the subject - an interesting tactic. Im not sure why wages are coming in to this discussion, but we can add that on as well.

There are two different models at work as compared to Costco and WalMart. Costco uses less man-hours for comparable sales, and has lower turnover. They pay more to each employee, but employee fewer. There are many people that can not get a job at Costco due to a variety of reasons, and they end up at WalMart. Walmart pays less, but expects less. WalMart has a much higher turnover (nearly 10 times greater according to some reports) and much higher employee theft.

In the end, both businesses are highly profitable, but do it in a different way. Both are established business models that have been used for decades.
And then there's Trader Joe's.

Sorry, but I'm starting to doubt your story that you're even a business owner at all. I have a difficult time believing that someone who employs 1,200 people doesn't know how to spell employ. I'm thinking you're just another random internet teabagger.

Again...changing the subject. I apologize for any typos or autocorrect failures.

However, if you see me use the wrong "Their/There/They're", or any words such as "cus" instead of because, or "wanna" instead of want to, please feel free to call me out. I would welcome criticism there.

Last edited:
It's not about "stellar." It's about meeting the standard or not meeting the standard. Someone who doesn't show up to work on time doesn't deserve a job. You don't just pass them up for a promotion and keep them around, you replace them with someone who will show up to work on time.

Some positions are easy to measure objectively. Some are not. I'll use two positions at my company as an example:

1. Leasing agents - These are basically salesmen. Their job is to close contracts with new clients and to get properties rented. Their performance is easily measurable using statistical data. Purely objective. Agent A converts 15% of her leads, and Agent B converts 25% of her leads. It's clear to see who the better leasing agent is.
Tying performance based pay, better territory, etc. to position #1 makes perfect sense. For position #2, not at all. For position #2, raises should be based purely on seniority.

Now what if the leads generated by Agent B have a delinquency rate of 15 %, while Agent A has a 0% delinquency rate....? Not so clear..is it...?

<really have no dog in the fight, bored at work...> :)

Again...changing the subject.

No, hot shot, I just went back and read your posts and remembered that your story changes regularly. At various times, depending upon what sort of attention you want, you're either an airline pilot sipping drinks by the ocean on a primo layover, a low time commercial pilot looking to build time, or a business mogul with 1,200 employees. All within the same calendar year.

Just another internet poser. Good day, sir!

Someone told me the story during initial, no names or anything. I didn't know if I believed it.

Randomly, later on, flying the RJ down to SAN I asked the Captain if that CLD Bro story was actually true. JL was my Captain that day. Hah.
He liked Mike's Hard Lemonade. :)

First time I logged into this website it was on a 56K modem. Uphill. . . . . both ways. . . . in the snow.
56K! Cox Cable upped my introductory 25 MBS rate from $35.99 to $61.99. After being around for the 56K days, 25 MBS seems A OK with me :) btw I negotiated it back down to $31.99 :)

Not really. Repeating the same tired nonsense isn't really all that interesting. But if you think it is, I can point you to a few thousand articles talking about why Costco's way of doing business is bad, too. :rolleyes:

And Wal Mart executives have a hard time believing that Costco is able to grow at an incredible rate while paying their employees double what Wal Mart does and providing them a full benefits package. Antiquated beliefs about how to treat employees hold businesses back.

How many employees/direct reports do you have? Sincere question- not meant to sound snarky.

Back