No gate, no APU

Sure sure, but going by some of the tight quarters I've seen guys maneuver around in on GA ramps without marshallers, it seams possible. Nice and slow, both sets of eyes outside. Aside from hitting the actual jetway and your vantage point prior to entering, it seems like it could be done. Granted, something like a Gulfstream's wings are EWWUGE relative to the fuselage length. PROBABLY can see those wing tips I imagine... :)

Not saying one should do this, but I bet it could be done if you had to. Like if you had the meat sweats and the lav was full or broken. :oops: Having to do number 2 is always a good reason to break the rules. In my mind it is. Gotta poop, land on a road! :D

Sure sure, but going by some of the tight quarters I've seen guys maneuver around in on GA ramps without marshallers, it seams possible. Nice and slow, both sets of eyes outside. Aside from hitting the actual jetway and your vantage point prior to entering, it seems like it could be done. Granted, something like a Gulfstream's wings are EWWUGE relative to the fuselage length. PROBABLY can see those wing tips I imagine... :)

Not saying one should do this, but I bet it could be done if you had to. Like if you had the meat sweats and the lav was full or broken. :oops: Having to do number 2 is always a good reason to break the rules. In my mind it is. Gotta poop, land on a road! :D

So once you've pulled up to that jetway with no marshallers (which is going land you in hot water), how are you going to drive it up to the aircraft? Pop the door, hop out and do it yourself?

So once you've pulled up to that jetway with no marshallers (which is going land you in hot water), how are you going to drive it up to the aircraft? Pop the door, hop out and do it yourself?

Yep, go big or go home when it comes to getting in trouble! :D

it's doing what you need to keep folks comfortable until you get ground support to do their job. No need to pull up to the gate.

This happened to me the other day. We land and its about 108º F outside. The APU won't start either. It's a small outstation, and no one is answering the radio so we're unsure of what gate to go to. We assume its where the other aircraft is parked, but it looks like he's not going anywhere either. Again no one is answering the ops frequency. No one is answering the ops phone. (yes, I called them from my cell) The cabin is starting to get extremely hot. I'm getting hot. If I'm hot, I know the cabin is way hotter. i wonder if we should pull up to an empty gate and just open the door. But that's a FAR violation. There were no wing walkers.

In all we were sitting on the ramp for about 25 minutes, which was way too long. Luckily none of the passengers passed out, but I was wondering what I would do if the FA called and said we needed to get off the airplane now.

What would you do? Pull up to an empty gate without ground staff? Evacuate right there on ramps? Is a hot airplane enough to risk doing that knowing you might be doing the carpet dance or worse, the FAA?

Just thinking about what I would have done, had we been out there too much longer.

Must have been at CRW. Pretty common here.

I was told in while I was there it is essentially a large Atari. Not that difficult.

Who needs a jet bridge? I just want the main cabin door open.

No gate and no APU = run the engine(s) for the packs.

Oh how I miss dropping the aft-stairs on the 727

Sent from my free Obama Phone

Oh how I miss dropping the aft-stairs on the 727

Sent from my free Obama Phone
Even I can remember off-loading passengers out of the tail of an MD-83 with the APU screaming.

Ahh JetsGo... one of the first examples of the modern discount airline gone awry.

7175162613_b6cdcb65fc_z.jpg

Why don't you go back and play on your big boy submarine airplane.

On the CRJ 200 the engines won't run the packs at any level of efficiency at less than about 80% N1. That's generally not an option on the ramp.

On the CRJ 200 the engines won't run the packs at any level of efficiency at less than about 80% N1. That's generally not an option on the ramp.
"Hey ground, Brand Y 4715."
"Brand Y 4715, Ground."
"Yeah we want to go somewhere where we can run the engines up."
"Ehhh, roger...uhh, to the remote pad via..."

On the 200 I do it all the time, left pack off run the right pack off the 10th bleed set N2 to ~72% puts out a ton of air and very little increase is thrust. Works well IMO.

In this situation I would've just had both going with the same power setting. Cross bleed thrust is 85% (?) N2 IIRC so no where near that level of power.

That is why the PIC gets paid the big bucks. Run the engine up some to get more air through the packs and call the company and let them find ops. Keep the company in the loop and the FA. It gets serious enough, tell the ground controller you need airport ops to park you on a gate now. You always can use the E word and deviate from any reg you see fit in the interest of safety.

Derg, ahh the 727 and the memories. Sure glad we got to cross that one off the bucket list.

I know.

I really enjoyed plumbing on that thing.

Heating and Air
Mr. Fixit
Camp Counselor
Activities Director
Public Relations

But my favorite was "Scotty":

"You need 3000 lbs for RATOW? Hold on, you got it and no 'green light required', who's the man?"

"Gens overloading? Here, let me make some power for you, I'm giving it all she's got sir! wait, let me kill a pack fan... And wait, they're going to feed us anyway so who cares about galley power"

"Crap! Outflow valve is frozen, going manual... Tell that ass in the right seat to go easy on the throttle"

I know.

Heating and Air
Mr. Fixit
Camp Counselor
Activities Director
Public Relations

"You need 3000 lbs for RATOW? Hold on, you got it and no 'green light required', who's the man?"

"Gens overloading? Here, let me make some power for you, I'm giving it all she's got sir! wait, let me kill a pack fan... And wait, they're going to feed us anyway so who cares about galley power"

"Crap! Outflow valve is frozen, going manual... Tell that ass in the right seat to go easy on the throttle"

Look at the FE where he sits. More like Capt Kirk.

Heating and Air
Mr. Fixit
Camp Counselor
Activities Director
Public Relations

LMAO

I know.

Heating and Air
Mr. Fixit
Camp Counselor
Activities Director
Public Relations

And that was before the Canadian Space Shuttle did the 727 flying too.

Back