No gate, no APU

I say, put your cool face on and pull up to the jetway with millimeters to spare.

618px-Trollface_HD.png

Would it be too unorthodox to let the FA & co-pilot out to be wing walkers? Solves the wing walker issue, but probably would still catch flak.

Would it be too unorthodox to let the FA & co-pilot out to be wing walkers? Solves the wing walker issue, but probably would still catch flak.

Neither are trained, and even if it's legal to taxi the jet single-pilot (though would no doubt get you in hot water with the chief pilot's office), it's not legal to leave passengers onboard without the FA.

Neither are trained, and even if it's legal to taxi the jet single-pilot (though would no doubt get you in hot water with the chief pilot's office), it's not legal to leave passengers onboard without the FA.
And not just "the FA" but the minimum complement of flight attendants necessary for the aircraft, not that I've read a nastygram on that topic recently.

Unfortunately, you're screwed in the above scenario, beyond constantly berating your ops/ramp people. I'd go somewhere, stand the thrust levers up so that the packs are working, and wait.

Is that for the new EMB-120ER? :)
All fleets. ;) Sometimes the station has the opposite problem of OP's post, gets in a hurry, and will shove the people into the tube before the crew is there.

Very occasionally passengers are boarded on an aircraft in which no crew are present. At Eagle I walked down the jetway once to find 8 people on a dark RJ once. "Hey uh, so, uh, where are you guys going? Oh. The other aircraft is what you want, have a nice day." Sort of freaky, really—enter airplane, turn to flight deck, feel like someone's watching—HEY!

So what was the aircraft? Still wondering.

Like others have said, start an engine (or run an engine).

All fleets. ;) Sometimes the station has the opposite problem of OP's post, gets in a hurry, and will shove the people into the tube before the crew is there.

Very occasionally passengers are boarded on an aircraft in which no crew are present. At Eagle I walked down the jetway once to find 8 people on a dark RJ once. "Hey uh, so, uh, where are you guys going? Oh. The other aircraft is what you want, have a nice day." Sort of freaky, really—enter airplane, turn to flight deck, feel like someone's watching—HEY!

Holy crap man, the Feds would kick your ass. Write that stuff up.

Holy crap man, the Feds would kick your ass. Write that stuff up.
Ironically, I got a response to an ASAP at Eagle, but I can't view it because the AMR IDM people turned off my access to all that stuff.

It bugs the crap out of me. I understand wanting to be out on time, but you still have to comply with the law of the land...rest assured, they were deplaned.

Here's a question. Remember Jet Blue in BDL last year? What would you have done in that situation. I would have seriously contemplated calling airport police to get a hard stand and get the people off. You start to back yourself into a corner after that length of time, no food or water, packed aircraft, limited fuel. I can't imagine that Jet Blue would have been more upset to repack a slide and air canister and have an aircraft grounded in BDL for a day, wasn't going anywhere due to the blizzard in the first place, rather than pay hundreds of thousands in federal fines for having passengers sit on an aircraft that long.

Had that happen in ATL once. Was 95+ degrees and the airplane was dark and these people didn't think it was strange at all to be sitting in their seats waiting.

I was stuck as a passenger in a similar situation. I kept myself sane because while I was sitting at the gate prior to boarding several hours earlier, I saw them load up a tank with "Live Lobsters" written in big black lettering.

Any longer sitting out there, free lunch everybody!

Here's a question. Remember Jet Blue in BDL last year? What would you have done in that situation. I would have seriously contemplated calling airport police to get a hard stand and get the people off. You start to back yourself into a corner after that length of time, no food or water, packed aircraft, limited fuel. I can't imagine that Jet Blue would have been more upset to repack a slide and air canister and have an aircraft grounded in BDL for a day, wasn't going anywhere due to the blizzard in the first place, rather than pay hundreds of thousands in federal fines for having passengers sit on an aircraft that long.

Another thing to consider: when an aircraft is evacuated and slides are used, there is almost always 3-4 injuries. They're almost always leg/ankle related.

Agreed though, it's a very tough situation to be in and I don't think that theres just one right answer.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

Legal matters aside, this should be doable, minus the millimeters part. I don't see any spacial judgement issues with pulling your own plane into a gate area if it's clear. Not that it'd do any good without someone there to move the jetway up to the plane! ;)

Legal matters aside, this should be doable, minus the millimeters part. I don't see any spacial judgement issues with pulling your own plane into a gate area if it's clear. Not that it'd do any good without someone there to move the jetway up to the plane! ;)
You can't see the wingtips on a lot of jets, for starters.

Back