Next Up in the RLA Conga Line

This is an excellent write up.

Thanks. You also said the quiet part out loud. :)

I also made (make?) the assumption that the "I VOTED NO!" crowd balanced out the Unhappy Yes crowd statistically. But there is really no way to know that. My shop's latest CBA Extension would make for great polling on that. Anecdotally, I know more than a few in both camps.

Heck, the timing of your deal was a crosswind pushing me towards that 2nd category.

He was a no vote on that one issue.
Funny you mention that. I was talking to a CA about vacation slides. It is in our TA but not our current contract. Management just lets it happen currently. He said he was a no vote because of the limitations on sliding vacations in the new TA. From what I understand they are no different from current rules that management has implemented behind the scenes. Never mind the fact that management could just start denying all slides at any time they decide staffing isn't good enough based on current rules.

Risking going back to the table with a NMB that isn't exactly motivated to give us more leverage is certainly an excellent idea to "recover" an item used a few times a year at most. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks. You also said the quiet part out loud. :)

I also made (make?) the assumption that the "I VOTED NO!" crowd balanced out the Unhappy Yes crowd statistically. But there is really no way to know that. My shop's latest CBA Extension would make for great polling on that. Anecdotally, I know more than a few in both camps.

Heck, the timing of your deal was a crosswind pushing me towards that 2nd category.
I honestly wonder if there are pilots that vote no just so they can always be on the "right side" if/when the crap hits the fan.

I honestly wonder if there are pilots that vote no just so they can always be on the "right side" if/when the crap hits the fan.

100%.

At my previous gig, one of our LEC CA reps was like that. He'd vote no on everything that came in front of him, as long as he knew it had enough votes to pass without him. And then years later if it didn't work out well for us, he'd be sure to let everyone know that he voted no on it.

Always.

Everyone's excited, guardedly, the first three months, then at three months and one day, the first hiccup hits (and it always happens), suddenly "I TRIED TO WARN YOU GUYS!" when (a) no they didn't and (b) they voted yes.

Like clockwork at every airline that has voted on a TA.

Literally had some beers with a JC'er tonight that said "I know it's going to be in the high 90's but I voted no to make a point"

A person's vote is a person's vote, despite with Kari Lake is, but it all counts.

Always.

Everyone's excited, guardedly, the first three months, then at three months and one day, the first hiccup hits (and it always happens), suddenly "I TRIED TO WARN YOU GUYS!" when (a) no they didn't and (b) they voted yes.

So true. Our last "real" contract (not the recent tta) I voted no for based on the change to the reserve rules. I had many fo's tell me they voted yes (which is fine I'm not here to argue it) because they wouldn't be on reserve long anyway. Then came covid and our upgrades slowed (and are still slower) and now all those that upgraded have been on reserve way longer than they planned, and now no one voted for it and everyone wants the reserve rules changed. It's truly a miracle that it passed since now no one voted for it.

Literally had some beers with a JC'er tonight that said "I know it's going to be in the high 90's but I voted no to make a point"

What an ass (you can totally say ass here) hat! What the hell kind of point were they trying to make?

I'm feeling pretty good about my no vote. I wasn't present at work during the voting period. Other than the podcasts and reading the TA I had no way to gauge how others felt about the contract. I voted my conscience.

Seems like a lot of FOs are voting with their feet right now.

I'm feeling pretty good about my no vote. I wasn't present at work during the voting period. Other than the podcasts and reading the TA I had no way to gauge how others felt about the contract. I voted my conscience.

Seems like a lot of FOs are voting with their feet right now.
FOs got a bigger raise than CAs. If they wanted to fly for the big 3 they were always going to leave.

Nah, since putting app in.
Did you do a meet n greet or talk to someone? If you want I can pass your info along (I’m just a line guy)
The Northwest Aviation Conference has a career forum coming up soon.

Back