Next Up in the RLA Conga Line

That's out of my wheelhouse. I just know that no airline is going to be allowed to strike. Especially a legacy. It's not going to happen.

It could, though. There's a reason there are so many hurdles to self-help, and Delta has steadily been churning through them. There's not too many steps left before they could be released for it. There is precedent for it.

Delta has three steps left to full blown strike/where BLET was (assuming the atrike authorization vote is a foregone conclusion). NMB declares an impasse, 30-day cooling off, PEB.

There is also a strike delcaration before the PEB but that’s the one people are talking about when they say “no legacy will be allowed to strike.” That’s true, but the PEB can only go for 60 days. After that, it’s an act of Congress to end the strike, and I don’t know if you’ve seen Congress lately…kinda disorganized.

But the railroads are allowed to strike? Which will cause 50x the pain to all of us average day citizens…
But they didn't? As much as I wanted them to (because that would bode well for an airline group to get released, also because F greedy corporations/power to the people). I think everyone realized what was about to happen and that's why a strike was avoided, even if temporarily.

For real though, if DAL ALPA gets released to self help, I'll buy someone a steak dinner.

Last edited:
But they didn't? As much as I wanted them to (because that would bode well for an airline group to get released, also because F greedy corporations/power to the people). I think everyone realized what was about to happen and that's why a strike was avoided, even if temporarily.

For real though, if DAL ALPA gets released to self help, I'll buy someone a steak dinner.
The context of your message was they’d never be allowed. I think the difference I was stating was being allowed vs having a deal done before are two different things. Sure maybe DL won’t get the distance because in the 11th hour the asks are met and a deal is struck, but that’d be ideally what everyone wants. I think that’s different than saying the “too big of an airline, it will never happen” suggesting the government will strangle us into oblivion to avoid a strike…

The context of your message was they’d never be allowed. I think the difference I was stating was being allowed vs having a deal done before are two different things. Sure maybe DL won’t get the distance because in the 11th hour the asks are met and a deal is struck, but that’d be ideally what everyone wants. I think that’s different than saying the “too big of an airline, it will never happen” suggesting the government will strangle us into oblivion to avoid a strike…

That's actually exactly what I'm suggesting. Does DAL carry the mail? Does DAL have government contracts to haul important people and cargo? You aren't going to be allowed to strike.

My pissy little carrier went through this about 4 years ago. We don't haul mail, we don't carry important people or stuff. Our company showed up to nearly every mediated session without proposals which the mediator had told them to have prepared. Cancelled people's vacations against the status quo. Hauled people in for discipline over sick calls. Total pilot pushing. Authorized a strike with 100% of the group voting to strike, minus exactly one dude who's married to someone in HR (seriously, you can't make this up). We did everything right, they did everything wrong. It was made clear to us that we were not going to get released. You just have to keep on going through the motions until it's over.

If we weren't going to get released, the steak dinner says you won't either. I sympathize. If I'm wrong, I'll see you at Fogo de Chao.

That's actually exactly what I'm suggesting. Does DAL carry the mail? Does DAL have government contracts to haul important people and cargo? You aren't going to be allowed to strike.

My pissy little carrier went through this about 4 years ago. We don't haul mail, we don't carry important people or stuff. Our company showed up to nearly every mediated session without proposals which the mediator had told them to have prepared. Cancelled people's vacations against the status quo. Hauled people in for discipline over sick calls. Total pilot pushing. Authorized a strike with 100% of the group voting to strike, minus exactly one dude who's married to someone in HR (seriously, you can't make this up). We did everything right, they did everything wrong. It was made clear to us that we were not going to get released. You just have to keep on going through the motions until it's over.

If we weren't going to get released, the steak dinner says you won't either. I sympathize. If I'm wrong, I'll see you at Fogo de Chao.

Steak dinners always go wrong here!

Something has changed in the last 4 years…what was it?? Hmmm.

Oh, never mind. I’m sure it wasn’t anything like political winds and leadership. ;)

Y’all not getting released under a Republican Congress and President is entirely different than the political make up of today. You may be correct, but this is about the only time a major will get a strike to happen in our lifetimes, with the way things are looking.

Something has changed in the last 4 years…what was it?? Hmmm.

Oh, never mind. I’m sure it wasn’t anything like political winds and leadership. ;)

Y’all not getting released under a Republican Congress and President is entirely different than the political make up of today. You may be correct, but this is about the only time a major will get a strike to happen in our lifetimes, with the way things are looking.

there’s a steak dinner riding on this!! Like I said, I hope I’m wrong, because F greedy companies who treat people poorly, then attempt to repair relations by moneywhipping them for pennies on the dollar.

Strike of a major airline won’t be allowed. Not for the economic impact it will have. We’re not talking some ULCCs here.

We're chopped liver.

Not at all. Just that someone the size of Delta or the big 3, likely won’t get the opportunity that Spirit go back in the day, if only for their mega-size and economic impact, regardless of what administration is in office. Even if, just as you’ve mentioned, they do everything right, check every box, cross every T and dot every I.

Back