Newbie here and need some help!

PugLife

Hey guys, I am new here to the forums and dispatching in general, kind of. Please be kind to me!

I have enrolled into Sheffield's online program and will be getting my license in June. I don't have any prior experience in aviation, but will have a bachelor's degree by May. I am only 24. What is the best way to get my foot in the door to make myself more marketable in this competitive career? Is networking necessary? If so, whats the best way to myself out there. I hear good things about Sheffield and hopefully employers look positively in that regards. As you guys can tell, I am open to hear all advice, tips, etc. I am willing to relocate, but really prefer to stay in Dallas-Fort Worth area. Thanks guys!

If you have no prior experience in aviation then I encourage you to reconsider the online program at Sheffield. That is a very advanced program and it will be quite difficult without previous aviation knowledge. I would try to make the 5 week residency option work. As far as that first regional job goes, networking definitely can't hurt. I posted the locations of most of the regionals in a previous post. Sheffield does indeed carry a bit of weight amongst the hiring managers, but that will only be good enough to get you an interview. You will have to know your stuff and be personable to land that job offer.

As far as DFW goes, the uncertain future of American Enovy leaves few options in that area to start. Once you get some experience and can move to the majors, you have the benefit of two major dispatch offices in your backyard so a relocation would only be temporary should you get hired by American or Southwest down the road.

Best of luck.

Thanks MT for the info. As for Sheffield, for my current situation its the only viable option. Im not currently working, so I can dedicate 100% of my time into it. As for networking, whats the best way to go about it? Who should I contact and what tips do you have for building such a relationship? Do regional airlines even consider hiring freshly minted dispatchers with no aviation background? Sorry for the bombardment of these questions!

Absolutely the regionals hire people out of dispatch school. I had no aviation experience when I was first hired at the regionals, and I interviewed at several companies before getting hired, so they do consider you, no doubt about it. Just study hard at sheffield, maintain a positive attitude, and you will be fine. Sheffield is very well respected in the industry. Eric can help you network if you don't know anyone in the inside yet.

Awesome! Thanks Bruins. Yeah, I was gonna ask Eric if he could give in a good word for me at places I was interested in. Of course, I must do well for him to like me haha.

On another note, I saw open positions for Temporary Workers for AA. Apparently, that is a good foot in the door from what the description says. Do you guys happen to know the likelihood of landing that position while still in the process of obtaining my certification?

And one last question, I promise. Im assuming, Bruins, that you're familiar with the Sheffield program. I have been debating whether or not to attend the optional workshops offered afterwards. Do you think it is in my best interest to take those now? or wait until I a job and see if they require those trainings? I figured it could possibly be a resume filler and make me marketable. Thanks for the awesome advice so far guys!

Awesome! Thanks Bruins. Yeah, I was gonna ask Eric if he could give in a good word for me at places I was interested in. Of course, I must do well for him to like me haha.

On another note, I saw open positions for Temporary Workers for AA. Apparently, that is a good foot in the door from what the description says. Do you guys happen to know the likelihood of landing that position while still in the process of obtaining my certification?

And one last question, I promise. Im assuming, Bruins, that you're familiar with the Sheffield program. I have been debating whether or not to attend the optional workshops offered afterwards. Do you think it is in my best interest to take those now? or wait until I a job and see if they require those trainings? I figured it could possibly be a resume filler and make me marketable. Thanks for the awesome advice so far guys!

One of the best ways to nework - join the ADF and go to their annual symposiums. They have an online message board so you can start networking virtually before then also. www.dispatcher.org for more info. As far as the extra courses at Sheffield, they don't look bad to add on to your resume, but you'd get more out of them if you can take them once you have some dispatch experience rather than right out of school. The weather forecasting class (EWINS) might be a good one to take though if you are deciding to just take one. ETOPS and international flight planning probably will not happen right away unless you can get hired by a supplemental carrier - and most of those places like some regional experience before they will look at you. Good luck with school and the job hunt!

I did both the International and ETOPS classes when I was at Sheffield, but I did them for personal and not professional reasons. At a recent interview I had with a major airline, the fact that I had done those workshops came up in my interview, and the interviewers noticed this. Not sure if it helped me land the job or not, but having that does get noticed by hiring people.

I did both the International and ETOPS classes when I was at Sheffield, but I did them for personal and not professional reasons. At a recent interview I had with a major airline, the fact that I had done those workshops came up in my interview, and the interviewers noticed this. Not sure if it helped me land the job or not, but having that does get noticed by hiring people.

I never had it mentioned at my interviews - but by the time I got interviewed at a place with extensive international/ETOPS operations, I already had a lot of experience. Anyhow, aside from how they look on your resume - I was just so burned out by the course, practical, and oral exam that I think I would have gotten a lot more out of the classes if I hadn't been quite as tired and more mentally fresh. Not saying the courses aren't worthwhile or anything - I just think I would have gotten more out of them if I took them later.

...."the fact that I had done those workshops came up in my interview,".....
Yeah when I was talking to my wife at dinner last night, the huge charge on my credit card.."came up"...And it wasn't a good thing.

Can you tell me exactly what "came up" means? It came up, as in "Wow that's awesome!" or "Wow you wasted a lot of time and money!"
It could fall either way. I'm super curious, plus I might take the ETOPS thingy myself.
Did you end up working there or somewhere else?

Anyhow, aside from how they look on your resume - I was just so burned out by the course, practical, and oral exam that I think I would have gotten a lot more out of the classes if I hadn't been quite as tired and more mentally fresh. Not saying the courses aren't worthwhile or anything - I just think I would have gotten more out of them if I took them later.

I went to Sheffield, did the same thing, and I was also fried after the initial dispatch course. My head was spinning, and I didn't retain a whole lot of useful info....and I also came into the course with a GA pilot/college aviation major backgound.

The international DX/EWINS courses are good, but I came away with a lot more when I went back for a referesher course before interviewing with a supplemental carrier. If I had to do it again, especially with no aviation experience, I would just save my money and hang on for dear life getting through the primary dispatch course.

...."the fact that I had done those workshops came up in my interview,".....
Yeah when I was talking to my wife at dinner last night, the huge charge on my credit card.."came up"...And it wasn't a good thing.

Can you tell me exactly what "came up" means? It came up, as in "Wow that's awesome!" or "Wow you wasted a lot of time and money!"
It could fall either way. I'm super curious, plus I might take the ETOPS thingy myself.
Did you end up working there or somewhere else?
I put the fact that I had taken the class on my Resume. When I got to the interview, the interviewer was just curious about what prompted me to actually take the class. I explained it to him. As I said, even though I put those classes on my resume, I didn't take the classes to enhance my resume, I took them simply because I was very interested in the topics and wanted to learn about them. And for the record, I did get hired by the company that raised this at the interview.

Back