New Year's resolution: Lose weight.

Nark

Macho Superpilot
Lost 31.4 pounds.

Old Panel:
Cockpit.jpg

New Panel:
Dollar sign panel.jpg

That crap totalled 31 pounds? Holy moley.

Edit:I should say the exchange meant a 31 pound difference, holy crap.

Removed the vacuum system entirely. Got rid of LORAN, ADF and DME too. Removed a poop-tonne of crappy old wires and the panel, fabricated new panel from a few pieces.

This is what some of my net worth is spent on...;)
Ahhh, no vaccum system! Stupid thing dies anyway and makes noise.

That awesome! One of these days I’m going to have to pick your brain about your 180, my father-in-law has one that he wants to put back together from being ground looped decades ago. I’m hoping he is getting closer to actually getting started on it.

I’ll forgive you, because of your progressed age, but the placard right above the nav lights switch says “yadda yadda ADS-b something.”

I use the Tailbeacon for both of my birds. Easy install and saved me gobs of money by doing it under supervision, rather than pay for the avionics shops kids way through college, like the rest of the panel did..

One of the panel configs I’m considering looks very similar to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m surprised, I’ve never done a panel refurb that saved an appreciable amount of weight. Well done. Any particular reason you went Aspen instead of dual G5?

I’m sure it’s smart enough to take the NAV from the GNC. Another selling point is the upgrade potential. Aspen is a software, all Garmin’s are hardware. I originally priced out the 275’s and G5’s. This is a money making plane (we’ll sort of...) so I decided against the Cadillac approach and did the good enough for who it’s for approach.

I’m sure it’s smart enough to take the NAV from the GNC. Another selling point is the upgrade potential. Aspen is a software, all Garmin’s are hardware. I originally priced out the 275’s and G5’s. This is a money making plane (we’ll sort of...) so I decided against the Cadillac approach and did the good enough for who it’s for approach.

I haven't considered Aspen yet for my upgrade (because they don't have an 'experimental' category where things are cheaper) but I may give them a second look. Seems to be about the same price as a G3X 10" screen - maybe a hair more - but would fit into my panel without cutting - which is part of the reason I'm considering dual G5s. If it will talk to a GNC 175 and - potentially - my A/P (or candidate replacement) then that MIGHT be an option....interesting. Thanks for the tip/inspiration.

I don’t have much time behind the touch screen stuff, but they are becoming a pain to manipulate while airborne. The only time it gets bumpy is when I try to finger fornicate the 355. Smooth as glass otherwise.
However... it talks back and forth from foreflight on the iPad, which is awesome. It even talks to my watch, which is the dumb side of cool as well.
I bet I’m only at 50% of full usefulness of the new toy.
Its shinny and new, so my club homeboys are flying it a lot. I hope that pace continues.

Back