New Pictometry Vendor

SkyLens just got the go-ahead to put two more planes on contract. They should be online around March 1st. Keep in mind that the season officially ends around the end of May so it might be only a two months job but anyone who is interested should submit a new resume per the instructions in the original post. Also have another pilot position that will be opening up in the next few weeks.

What are the chances of getting on with 300TT, instrument current, CSEL?
None. We aim for the 500 mark but can accept down to 350 per insurance minimums. If you get another 50 under your belt by next Sept, we'll be hiring for the new season then.

Bump. We are looking for a possible backup pilot to finish this season if it goes into the summer. It might just be a few months work before the hiatus but this pilot would have a guaranteed spot on the roster for next season. We target 500+ hours but can waiver our mins down to 350 for the right candidate. Crews are currently in MN and OH so that's where training would take place. Applicants near those areas would have an advantage but anyone interested is encouraged to apply. Please check the initial post in this thread for instructions and follow them carefully. Thanks!!

Bump. We are looking for a possible backup pilot to finish this season if it goes into the summer. It might just be a few months work before the hiatus but this pilot would have a guaranteed spot on the roster for next season. We target 500+ hours but can waiver our mins down to 350 for the right candidate. Crews are currently in MN and OH so that's where training would take place. Applicants near those areas would have an advantage but anyone interested is encouraged to apply. Please check the initial post in this thread for instructions and follow them carefully. Thanks!!

Would have loved this opportunity but i am sitting at 260 hours. Sounds like a great job though from all the comments.

I realize this discussion is almost a year old, but anyone out there know anything about summer ops? It sounds like the season runs October thru Mayish, but is there any activity that goes on after that? Seems like I'm looking at the wrong time of year...

I realize this discussion is almost a year old, but anyone out there know anything about summer ops? It sounds like the season runs October thru Mayish, but is there any activity that goes on after that? Seems like I'm looking at the wrong time of year...
There are two ways to get hired here. 1.Submit resumes in August for the regular season class that starts in Oct. 2.Watch for my posts on JC looking for pilots to fill seats for expansion or for attrition. If it's the latter, it can happen at any point in the year and you usually need to be available in pretty quick order (1 week or less). Most of the guys I hire outside of Oct are determined by how soon they can be available and where they are located since they need to be trained by a current pilot in a current deployment location instead of here at SkyLens HQ in Louisiana. As far a summer ops - there definitely will be some. You never know until around May just how much Summer work there will be but I can almost count on half the fleet. We are going into Canada this summer if I can get the NAFTA certs lined out.

The camera systems are usually 100lbs +
Plus the sheer scale of some of these jobs. I've covered 1200 miles before in 1 solid day of survey flying at the peak of summer with a full days worth of light. (About 11.5 hours)

I shudder to think how long it would take a quad copter to do it. You have 1 acre to do...ok, that's doable, even 5 acres becomes a hassle with a toy.

In Canada summertime I have countless days of 12+ hours with no relocation.

But also week after week of no flying in the Midwest winter......

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I've flown with 500' vertical separation in Bravo Airspace. No controller would do that with a drone. Not in the near future anyway.

Plus the sheer scale of some of these jobs. I've covered 1200 miles before in 1 solid day of survey flying at the peak of summer with a full days worth of light. (About 11.5 hours)

I shudder to think how long it would take a quad copter to do it. You have 1 acre to do...ok, that's doable, even 5 acres becomes a hassle with a toy.

I don't know this mission well. What types of images are being collected (i.e. Visual, IR, hyperspectral, something else)?

Is this a substitute: https://terrabella.google.com/ ?

I don't know this mission well. What types of images are being collected (i.e. Visual, IR, hyperspectral, something else)?

Is this a substitute: https://terrabella.google.com/ ?
Picto had a setup based on RGB oblique cameras, I think one of the setups had an IR channel for nadir photos. Either the drones have to get bigger or the lenses/data recording technology needs to get way smaller, the cost per image/per hour right now is ridiculously cheap (compared to other camera systems/survey technologies capturing similar data).
Also the GSD of TerraBella appears to be 90cm, which is useless for survey grade applications. Aerial imagery is somewhere between 3-7cm depending on focal length, flight altitude, overlap, etc

The camera systems are usually 100lbs +
Not to mention the huge amount of juice (battery power) that would be required by the quad motors and the camera system, the line of sight needed for long lines and high altitude work, and trying to keep it all stable in any type of turbulence.

Back