New Pictometry Vendor

pilotbry

SkyLens Aerial Imaging is now accepting applications for an aerial mapping pilot for five open positions for the upcoming season. Aircraft are C172 P and M models. (For those of you familiar with Pictometry vendors, these are some of the former DWAS fleet with new ownership and a lot of serious rehabbing). Salary after probation period is $60 per day, every calendar day plus a $25 per day non-taxible per diem. There is also a performance bonus based on Hobbs hours flown each month plus an end of season $1000 bonus for those who complete the season. Company pays for rental car and single occupancy hotel room(within budget). The season starts in October and will likely go through May, maybe June, but opportunities may exist for flying through the Summer. You will be traveling the country for the entire season and likely will not see home until the end of the season unless we happen to get work in your hometown. Operations are done single pilot in VFR conditions, however for ferrying purposes pilots are expected to be comfortable flying single pilot IFR in aircraft with basic instrumentation and are required to maintain IFR currency.

Requirements:
Commercial Single Engine Land
Class 2 Medical
Instrument current and proficient w/ some actual logged
500 total time
100 cross-country(airport to airport is fine)
Own Cell phone with texting capability
Own laptop computer with MS Excel

A successful applicant will have:
Exceptional radio/communications skills /English proficient
Excellent organizational, logistic and problem solving skills
Experience in class B & C airspace, mountain flying and long cross-county flights
the motivation and work ethic to maintain a high level of productivity with minimal direct supervision
A life situation that allows for an extended period of time away from home

Preference will be given to applicants:
with Pictometry camera rig experience
with any aerial mapping experience
with A&P Certificates
with iPad or other tablet using Foreflight (a bonus is paid for this)

Follow these instructions exactly - Please apply by sending application in PDF or MSWord form to: FlightOps@SkyLensAerial.com
Put the word "Resume" followed by your last name in the subject line
Include COMPLETE job history for at least the past 5 years
Feel free to include a cover letter in the body of the email
No phone calls please.

You would need to be able to be in Hammond LA (KHDC) as early as Oct 6th. Deployment would begin somewhere between Oct 15th and Nov 1. Training lasts about 10 days. If hired we fly you into MSY or BTR and get you to Hammond. Your housing and rental cars are paid during training and you also receive the per diem during training. You go on salary on the first day of official deployment. There will be a check out of basic VFR and IFR skills by our Chief Flight Instructor. You must pass this checkout and pass the aerial imaging training or your employment is terminated and you are flown home.

I will *try* to respond to all properly submitted resumes. Please do not PM me but I'll try to answer questions submitted in this thread.

Thanks!
SkyLens Flight Ops Manager

Last edited:
If anyone tried to send a resume using the above email link before 5pm central time 8/15/2014, please try again. There was something wrong with the link. It is fixed now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello Pilotbry, May I ask you if the company accept application from foreign pilot with aerial survey experience and that meets all the job requirements?

Regards

Last edited:
I flew for DWAS last season with Pilotbry as Chief Pilot. Congrats to him on starting his own Pictometry contract. He's a very good CP to work for. Best of luck!

This job is a great experience flying projects in busy airspace. You'll ferry the aircraft between projects, making for some good cross country experience too. Living in hotels for seven or more months straight can have its downside, but having a positive attitude helps.

I highly recommend SkyLens!

Hello Pilotbry, May I ask you if the company accept application from foreign pilot with aerial survey experience and that meets all the job requirements?

Regards
As long as you have an FAA issued Commercial Pilot Certificate, are legal to work in the US, and can read, write and speak clear English, I don't care if you're green, have three eyes and come from Mars. I want pilots with good stick & rudder skills, that have good work ethic, common sense, respect for authority and regulations, get along well with others and can be easily understood on the radio so the TRACONs don't boot them out of a project in their Bravo airspace.

Out of curiousity, what is your budget for the hotel room?
Target rate is $60 base price per night per pilot for long term stays, which most are. Anything over that requires authorization from me which is sometimes necessary in certain higher COL areas. We want our pilots staying in a clean, safe, comfortable room with adequate WiFi. You aren't expected to find the cheapest roach dump available but if it is beneath you to stay in a national budget chain like Super 8, Sleep Inn, Days Inn, Etc then this isn't the job for you. I own the company and I stay at those types of budget hotels when I travel for personal or biz. I prefer everyone gets their own room because it seems to keep the peace better but if all pilots in a particular deployment agree and wanted to share double rooms for $120/room, then that is fine too. That can get tricky if you have an odd number of pilots. We have some deals with pretty nice hotels around the country.

I flew for DWAS last season with Pilotbry as Chief Pilot. Congrats to him on starting his own Pictometry contract. He's a very good CP to work for. Best of luck!

This job is a great experience flying projects in busy airspace. You'll ferry the aircraft between projects, making for some good cross country experience too. Living in hotels for seven or more months straight can have its downside, but having a positive attitude helps.

I highly recommend SkyLens!
THANK YOU! I tried very hard to make it good experience for all of you, despite some real hurdles.

As long as you have an FAA issued Commercial Pilot Certificate, are legal to work in the US, and can read, write and speak clear English, I don't care if you're green, have three eyes and come from Mars. I want pilots with good stick & rudder skills, that have good work ethic, common sense, respect for authority and regulations, get along well with others and can be easily understood on the radio so the TRACONs don't boot them out of a project in their Bravo airspace.
Congrats on the new gig and Company Bryan! I agree with the previous posters here Bryan is a great guy to work for. I too worked for him and I know him personally. If you take the gig be sure you get along well with others follow instructions exactly has he wishes and before leaving Hammond be sure to do a flight check out to be sure you were trained correctly. preferably with Bryan. You don't want to be on the road and then pictometry has an issue with you. Anyway Bryan thanks for the opportunity you gave me last year. Take care and all the best for your new company I hope you brought 62332 over with your new company that's a mighty fine plane!

Wow this sounds awesome! I guess I'll have to hold out till I get a few hours under my belt. I get my commercial next month, so I guess I can catch you next season!

Thanks for all the kind words from my former pilots. It's great to watch you all as you move up with your aviation careers. Now that I have the executive decision making freedom I hope to make this operation the gold standard of Pictometry vendors.

I hope you brought 62332 over with your new company that's a mighty fine plane!

Yes, sir. We got all the DWAS Cessnas except for 99308 but we bought another 172 and are cutting the holes in it now so we have a fleet of 10 and are deploying 8 initially. 332 is probably getting a new interior along with several others. Anything with an engine over TBO is getting a new factory Lycoming engine. We have lots of improvement plans that will happen over the next 3 years. Eventually they'll all get paint :) It'll be a great fleet. Thanks for the kind words - above all else I try to be fair.

Are you guys flying the Aztecs too? Or are you just using the cessnas for now?
No - Pictometry plans to phase the Aztecs out because they are mx nightmares so they will not contract for them. There was a plan to replace them w DA42s but it fell apart because of the high initial costs. I'm not sure what they are planning to replace the Aztecs with but the 2 DWAS Aztecs are still sitting out front and I've agreed to help my former boss to sell them.

I never understood why picto needs a twin anyways. Anything the Aztec can do, a 182/206 could do for lower operating costs. Especially compared to the mx nightmares that come along with the Aztecs.

I never understood why picto needs a twin anyways. Anything the Aztec can do, a 182/206 could do for lower operating costs. Especially compared to the mx nightmares that come along with the Aztecs.
I've wondered that myself. The 206 is obviously proven, but maybe it's not compatible with what they use? I doubt Picto cares too much about the acquisition costs, and you have to figure a slightly higher up front cost is going to pay for itself in the made up revenue.

I've wondered that myself. The 206 is obviously proven, but maybe it's not compatible with what they use? I doubt Picto cares too much about the acquisition costs, and you have to figure a slightly higher up front cost is going to pay for itself in the made up revenue.
Actually scratch that, I know there's at least one vendor running around with 206s.

Is that 500 a hard minimum? I've been very interested in aerial survey jobs but am sitting at 409TT with a CFI/CFII and don't want to start working at a place only to leave in a couple of months.

Back