New Member intro

Tiger815

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself after having found this great resource.

I'm a 40-something MBA laid off from the Telco industry and thinking of following the dream we all here share of working as a pilot. Working against me are my age and not being able to move to the work at least for a few more years. On the plus side, my wife and I have a modicum of financial security, having no children and her being in a high paying profession.

I've been an off and on VFR PP since the late 80's, and became an aircraft owner about 3 years ago when we purchased our 1978 Grumman Tiger. Over that period I've accumulated almost 500 hours most since buying the Tiger.

I did the instrument rating this summer and I'm currently working on my Commercial. I have the writtens for it, FOI and CFI-A already passed (Thank you Dr. Gliem). I've been considering one of the accelerated CFI programs once I finish the commercial. ATP and American Flyers were the two I'd most seriously considered and I had settled on American Flyers based on a good recommedation from a local pilot who got his CFI and -I ratings through them and then got other ratings through ATP.

However, I came across a very disturbing article regarding AF through researching this site. I'd love to hear what other folks think. It sure seems (deservedly or not) that AF has a black cloud of suspicion that will not be a positive factor for its graduates. Prior to becoming aware of this article I was 100% focused on attending AF's November training class. I'm somewhat at a loss for now, but want to finish the ratings ASAP. Recommedations would be welcome.

Look forward to learning a lot from all the great resources on the list.

Tiger815

Good to have you around... This site will entertain, inform and frustrate you (only sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), so HAVE FUN !

Back