New FAA weights= Pain for the 50 seat community.

Max Power

So at C5, our pax weights now are 204 lbs. summer and 208 winter with our 145 fleet. In the two days I dealt with this on my last trip when it enacted, I was up against MZFW for most of the legs except a few where we were really light. This was with decent weather and no alternate. Weather and distant alternates will hurt now, even worse in winter.

Any other 50 seat drivers dealing with a large of an increase as we are? We went from 184/189 pax weights in summer/winter. Bags are up only a few pounds ( 33 checked, 22 planeside), but infants now weigh 21 pounds. Kids now credit at 133 pounds, Inexplicably, heavy bags drop to 57 pounds from 60. It’s all little increases that end up making a huge difference in how it all comes together.

I don’t see it boding well for the 50 seat down the road. Booking to 50 (or overselling )and then only being able to take 45 or less will get old really quick to customers and airlines. Especially during the “covid hangover” of less flights with less seat being available period. I know pax weights have gone up in the past, but what we have now seems to be a steep penalty on the smaller aircraft many of us fly.

You guys have XRs right? Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth they were the king of "if it fits, it ships", but the LRs and ER/EPs had no steam in warm weather.

Edit to add: What happened to the XRs at Trans States?

You guys have XRs right? Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth they were the king of "if it fits, it ships", but the LRs and ER/EPs had no steam in warm weather.

Edit to add: What happened to the XRs at Trans States?

We have both LR and XR models now, from both XJT and TSA. Even in the XR, it’s pretty tight to get 50 folks on with a good load of bags and no kids. Jumpseat is almost not an option now, especially if weather requires an alternate.

We have both LR and XR models now, from both XJT and TSA. Even in the XR, it’s pretty tight to get 50 folks on with a good load of bags and no kids. Jumpseat is almost not an option now, especially if weather requires an alternate.

Sooooo... basically business as usual. (former #ballastking RJ commuter)

Sooooo... basically business as usual. (former #ballastking RJ commuter)

I get it, it sounds like the same game we’ve played forever, but it seems different. 50 folks, lots of bags, alternate, close to the various max weights, sure. But now it’s even tighter in the same situation. We’re restricted even with clear sailing in an XR and that’s never been an issue before.

The -200 is like Cheech Marin's bartender in Desperado.

So the bartender lived? The bartender never gets killed!
I’m pretty sure every takeoff made with reduced thrust is actually overweight in that thing.

”oh you solved with a 15 lbs buffer between PTOW and MTOW, how convincing”

I mean... Welcome to the party pal. Spent years apologizing for leaving people behind and watching my commute leave without me. It's a • 50 seat RJ.

Totally get it, I played this game in the Dash 8-200 (the 300 rarely) but it’s been OK for 3 years I’ve been in the 145XR except on short legs with distant alternates. Now even a “normal” flight is near the limits in an XR. Sigh…

I don’t see it boding well for the 50 seat down the road. Booking to 50 (or overselling )and then only being able to take 45 or less will get old really quick to customers and airlines. Especially during the “covid hangover” of less flights with less seat being available period. I know pax weights have gone up in the past, but what we have now seems to be a steep penalty on the smaller aircraft many of us fly.

I know I always worry about this, but i think these new weights are going to be last straw that sends us the way of Comair.

17c080d5-30fa-4f31-995f-db6614d31eee.jpeg

Back