New Caravan Winglets

SpiraMirabilis

Possible Subversive
h4Xyg6K.jpg

ddAECqF.jpg

dVVgc2W.jpg

Apparently the caravan had a lot of ice, the runway braking action was close to nil but he was the first one landing so no reports and there was an off-road adventure.

Hah. I just read this NTSB report 5 minutes ago. Basically was very iced up and stalled one of the wings right over the runway at the end of a circle in ROW.

iPad won't letme cut and paste the link but a quick google of N950FE will bring it up.

Last edited:
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Accident occurred Tuesday, December 30, 2014 in Roswell, NM
Aircraft: CESSNA 208B, registration: N950FE
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On December 30, 2014, about 0825 mountain standard time, a Cessna 208B, N950FE, operating as Baron Aviation flight 8756, was substantially damaged after impacting terrain during an approach to landing at Roswell International Air Center Airport (ROW), Roswell, New Mexico. The pilot was not injured. The airplane was registered to Federal Express Corporation; Memphis, Tennessee; and was operated by Baron Aviation Services, Inc.; Vichy, Missouri. Day instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) prevailed at the time of the accident and an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan had been filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135 scheduled cargo flight. The airplane departed Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport (LBB), Lubbock, Texas, about 0815 central standard time and was destined for ROW.

According to the pilot he encountered inflight icing and solid IMC conditions for most of the flight and was unable to climb above 8,500 feet mean sea level. During the area surveillance radar approach to runway 35 at ROW the pilot discovered the elevator control was jammed from the ice accumulation and he was able to control his descent only by adjusting power. :eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2: The pilot was late in visually acquiring the runway and decided to make a circling approach to runway 35. On the second final approach, before crossing the runway threshold, the airplane suddenly experienced an uncommanded roll to the left and the left wing and left aileron impacted terrain. The airplane bounced and came to rest upright on the runway.

At 0751 the automated weather observing system at ROW, reported wind from 020 degrees at 13 knots, visibility of 1 3/4 miles in light snow, broken clouds at 500 feet, temperature minus 4 degrees Celsius (C), dew point minus 6 degrees C, with an altimeter setting of 30.41 inches of Mercury. Data from the United States Naval Observatory indicated that sunrise occurred at 0702.

It would be interesting to have the same plane in this situation but with the TKS system, and see what the outcome would be.

Scheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Accident occurred Tuesday, December 30, 2014 in Roswell, NM
Aircraft: CESSNA 208B, registration: N950FE
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On December 30, 2014, about 0825 mountain standard time, a Cessna 208B, N950FE, operating as Baron Aviation flight 8756, was substantially damaged after impacting terrain during an approach to landing at Roswell International Air Center Airport (ROW), Roswell, New Mexico. The pilot was not injured. The airplane was registered to Federal Express Corporation; Memphis, Tennessee; and was operated by Baron Aviation Services, Inc.; Vichy, Missouri. Day instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) prevailed at the time of the accident and an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan had been filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135 scheduled cargo flight. The airplane departed Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport (LBB), Lubbock, Texas, about 0815 central standard time and was destined for ROW.

According to the pilot he encountered inflight icing and solid IMC conditions for most of the flight and was unable to climb above 8,500 feet mean sea level. During the area surveillance radar approach to runway 35 at ROW the pilot discovered the elevator control was jammed from the ice accumulation and he was able to control his descent only by adjusting power. :eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2: The pilot was late in visually acquiring the runway and decided to make a circling approach to runway 35. On the second final approach, before crossing the runway threshold, the airplane suddenly experienced an uncommanded roll to the left and the left wing and left aileron impacted terrain. The airplane bounced and came to rest upright on the runway.

At 0751 the automated weather observing system at ROW, reported wind from 020 degrees at 13 knots, visibility of 1 3/4 miles in light snow, broken clouds at 500 feet, temperature minus 4 degrees Celsius (C), dew point minus 6 degrees C, with an altimeter setting of 30.41 inches of Mercury. Data from the United States Naval Observatory indicated that sunrise occurred at 0702.
Dang, I just crapped my pants a little.

The Turbine 182 really seems to hate ice.

Yet another reason why I am thankful every single day that I don't work there anymore. That operation is just another accident waiting to happen!

Enough ice to jam the elevator? I have seen the elevator trim froze up more times than I can count, but I can't imagine a standard van staying in the air long enough to get that much ice and still fly.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to have the same plane in this situation but with the TKS system, and see what the outcome would be.
I was flying in the area (MAF) that day, it was the worst iceing I have ever seen. We had ice on the CRJ with hot wings and hot cowls, I don't think TKS would have done anything. The whole plane was iced up, like every surface.

I am surprised they weren't able to get a special ferry permit for that AC. They put it on a truck today and are taking it to Oklahoma.

SpiraMirabilis said:
I am surprised they weren't able to get a special ferry permit for that AC. They put it on a truck today and are taking it to Oklahoma.
Who is fixing it in OK? I've seen them at PWA before, but that was for paint.

Back