New Assignment...A-10 and MikeD no more.....

Grats again, man.

117 should be a cool ride.
grin.gif

The Wobbly Goblin, eh? Cool stuff.

The A10 and the F117 would be my top two choices of aircraft if I had someone shooting at me. In one, they can't see you (hopefully at least). In the other, it doesn't matter if they can see you.

Congratulations.

Say, does that thing have a jumpseat?
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Say, does that thing have a jumpseat?
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember in the movie Executive Decision, the F-117 they had with the 8-man cargo bay and 747 air-air entry device?

Nice move...one fugly, bada$$ plane to another.
smile.gif

Grats.

Does switching planes mean that you have to re-qual as a flight leader, or whatever they call it these days (assuming that you're a flight leader in the A-10)?

[ QUOTE ]
Nice move...one fugly, bada$$ plane to another.
smile.gif

Grats.

Does switching planes mean that you have to re-qual as a flight leader, or whatever they call it these days (assuming that you're a flight leader in the A-10)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to be a 4-ship flight (division) leader minimum to be in the 117, which is where I am. In the 117, since it's a single-aircraft mission, there's no real flight leads, but in the few times that 117s will operate together during training, you're dealing with experienced pilots, unlike other fighters that get pilots out of initial pilot training.

Normally when you transfer from one aircraft to another, say F-16 to A-10, you'll fly as wingman for a little while regardless of your previous qual.

Mike, in the past you've mentioned that you've had a lone-wolf attitude and haven't always been so eager to participate in social events/gatherings. Do you think this might have had an influence on why you were selected for the F-117A?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe during indoc phase for the 117 I can finally find out the truth about Roswell and the JFK assasination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. Finally someone on the inside who can confirm all my conspiracy theories.

I had the privilege of getting a fairly close look (about 20 feet away) at a stealth fighter at an air show last year. Looking at the pilot I thought, this is someone who has got to be pretty happy with where he's gotten to in life. And I bet chicks dig him.

Anyway, congratulations on the new assignment, and it couldn't have happened to a cooler pilot.

I just want to know how Mike will find it. Walk into the hanger, and it appears empty, until *bump* Hey..... here it is.... it was cloaked.

MFD = Multi Function Display
PFD = Primary(?) Flight(?) Display
ND = No Doze brand beef jerky(?)
grin.gif

Only one I'm sure about is MFD.

Does this mean we wont be seeing you anymore? Will you be changing your picture? Will it look like sheep in a snowstorm? I hope you enjoy all of us ribbing you...and wish you the best of the flight.

[ QUOTE ]
Mike, in the past you've mentioned that you've had a lone-wolf attitude and haven't always been so eager to participate in social events/gatherings. Do you think this might have had an influence on why you were selected for the F-117A?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be. There is commander input in assignments. My list of choices (desired, available, and qualed for) was:

1. F-4 Phantom drones to Holloman AFB, NM. (personnel center cancelled this availability)
2. F-117 to Holloman AFB, NM
3. Any Central or South America international exchange to A-37 Dragonfly.
4. F/A-18 Hornet exchange, USN (fat chance; F-15/16 driver preferred)
5. SEPECAT Jaguar pilot, RAF exchange
6. F-15 Strike Eagle
7. F-16
8. T-6 or T-34C to Pensacola NAS, FL (if going to be sent back to Training Command as an IP)
9. T-38 to Edwards AFB, CA (test chase pilot)
10. EA-6B Prowler to Whidbey Island NAS, WA (joint USN/USAF unit)

Back