New Alaska TA

I don’t like them, but 15:45 pay for a 2-day sweetens the deal. I think even I’d probably pick some up hear & there..
If I was a betting man the trips will be built differently with the new rugs to eliminate soft time. We used to have those at AA and once we got the 5:15 ADG they disappeared and are in longer trips. We called them slash trips.

If I was a betting man the trips will be built differently with the new rugs to eliminate soft time. We used to have those at AA and once we got the 5:15 ADG they disappeared and are in longer trips. We called them slash trips.

So you're saying it would encourage more productive trips in general? I've noticed that we have a lot of trips that are 2-3 days with a lot more CR than Block, so I presume this is due to the soft time you are referring to? Or perhaps I am completely misunderstanding the discussion

So you're saying it would encourage more productive trips in general? I've noticed that we have a lot of trips that are 2-3 days with a lot more CR than Block, so I presume this is due to the soft time you are referring to? Or perhaps I am completely misunderstanding the discussion
I’d say so - but lots of trips will have “victory laps” or turns tacked on to the front or the back to kill off any soft pay. But when I was junior at both Airways and then AA I would get three days worth 10-11 hours and 10-day off awarded lines. Now with the 5:15 rigs the minimum amount of days off is 14 I believe and that’s for a 90 hour line. Also reserves can no longer be used every day for us as they time out at 85 hours and turn into pumpkins for the rest of the month.
But the overall idea is trips Will change and the company will try to eliminate soft pay. Every once in a while we have some 1-1 two day trips that pay 5-6 soft credit hours due schedules but much less than we used to have before the ACD.

The thing is ALPA will be constructing our trip pairings, not the company. Maybe they’ll go away, but I think with ALPA In control there is a decent chance they’ll stay…

Sun Country too. But I don't think Alaska was using any of the ULCCs as an industry comparator.

In this environment, you’d think they’d look at every airline which has something better and ask for it, regardless of whether it’s a pissy ULCC or a legacy.

It’s been proven and shown that ALPA has been able to construct trips cheaper, more efficient, and less fatiguing than the company under our current system. I think that’s part of the reason they finally relented to just letting ALPA run it. I think it’s actually a win/win for both sides at the end of the day.

In this environment, you’d think they’d look at every airline which has something better and ask for it, regardless of whether it’s a pissy ULCC or a legacy.

That's not how negotiations work. You can't just cherry pick the best things in every contract. If you bring in F9's vacation you also bring in their pay and retirement benefits.

It’s been proven and shown that ALPA has been able to construct trips cheaper, more efficient, and less fatiguing than the company under our current system. I think that’s part of the reason they finally relented to just letting ALPA run it. I think it’s actually a win/win for both sides at the end of the day.
That’s good, but were these trips built with a 5:15 average calendar day? Because soft pay isn’t more efficient than what the company could do. Don’t get me wrong I hope they stay, I just think there’s a 1-2% chance of it all happening. Do y’all have a copy of the PBS MOU? Has it been negotiated yet?

That's not how negotiations work. You can't just cherry pick the best things in every contract. If you bring in F9's vacation you also bring in their pay and retirement benefits.
I realize that, which is why I said “ask” and not “take.” Maybe they did ask for it, who knows.

That’s good, but were these trips built with a 5:15 average calendar day? Because soft pay isn’t more efficient than what the company could do. Don’t get me wrong I hope they stay, I just think there’s a 1-2% chance of it all happening. Do y’all have a copy of the PBS MOU? Has it been negotiated yet?

All the details and rules of PBS have been negotiated ahead of time. That said, if you ask me a direct question about any of the information contained therein, I will give you a blank stare because I don’t fully understand it yet. I’m hoping once the full TA is posted it’ll become more apparent what I’m looking at. That and hopefully some help from people familiar with PBS.

In listening to the podcasts it sounds like this is exactly what they did, took what was good from other contracts and tweaked it.

You realize that anyone not on SCR will be flying red eyes?

No way in heck would I bid long call at AS. You’ll be flying ANC red eye turns with captain vampire all month. 30% of our flying is WOCL and the vast majority of sick calls.

If anything this TA makes it possible to commute to reserve sure but it’s at the expense of QOL. You’ll never make it back home. You’ll just be buying a hotel between WOCL legs in base.

It’s great for me. Because I live 40 minutes from SEA. I’ll bid SCR as a captain and sleep when I’m getting paid. I don’t really view it as a positive for commuters even though they think it’s great now, they probably won’t in practice.
Sounds like you guys need some sort of aggressive pickup. Always fun avoiding red eyes and plopping a 3 day trip in the middle of 5 days of reserve.

Sounds like you guys need some sort of aggressive pickup. Always fun avoiding red eyes and plopping a 3 day trip in the middle of 5 days of reserve.

Aggressive pickup is exactly what is in the TA. Cherry picked from United, allegedly.

Yup and the TA's aggressive pickup allows for grabbing a trip a day earlier than the reserve block to a day later, within +/- 1 day of that reserve blocks length.

Back