Need Serious Help!

Hysteria

Hey guys, I just created this account and this is my first post although I been around these forums for about 5 years or so. I'm having a difficult decision on choosing ATP as my choice. I want you guys to put yourselfs in my shoes. If you in my position what you do?
So first off I'm 18, currently in college (don't really like college) and currently have no expirence with flying. I am also not employed.
I'm thinking about choosing the fast paced 90 program along with the private pilot course.
If you were in my position what would you do?
Would you go for it or would you approach elsewere of ATP?
I really don't enjoy college at all and always wanted to become a pilot.
I really need some help and advice.
Thank you guys

1. How are you going to finance ATP?
2. How do you plan on making yourself competitive when the guys next to you have the degrees?

AT LEAST get a 2-year degree in something. You can pretty much forget the majors unless you have the 4-year.

I'm thinking about choosing the fast paced 90 program along with the private pilot course.
If you were in my position what would you do?

Get a job.
Start flying when you can afford to.
Save up every little bit you can

Would you go for it or would you approach elsewere of ATP?
If you can finance ATP then MAYBE but otherwise go to your local airport and talk to people and find out costs.

I really don't enjoy college at all and always wanted to become a pilot.
I hate going to classes, and I'm an aviation major! It's just something you have to do to survive.

...and currently have no expirence with flying
How do you know you will be able to pass a Medical, or maybe you will hate flying..maybe even not get it. It's just not for everyone. Just something to think about before dropping $50,000

If you go to ATP and do their 90 day program...in 3-4 months you will have your ratings, then what? You think anybody will hire an 18-year old with 250 hours and no experience?

Have you considered the Army's flight program? I'm not implying that would be the right decision for you, but just that that it is an option you may wish to investigate.

My opinion:
ATP first.
School second.

Don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE believer in getting an education. I did school first then ATP. My timing could have been way better. I worked on my four-year degree while things were moving fast in the industry. After graduation I went to ATP, instructed then moved to an airline. If I were in you're shoes, I'd go to ATP when things are now. Get the CFI and instruct while going to school (do yourself a huge favor and major in something not aviation related).
That way you'll be building time, have your multi-time and ready to get in an airline when they start hiring again. If you start your getting your
ratings when airlines hire again you may miss the wave.
If airlines start hiring while your in school then you could always finish a degree online, while working for the airline.
That's my opinion. Even though some won't agree with it I think everybody will agree with this statement: Stay out of debt! If you have to take loans make them as small and managable as possible. If that means doing the self-pace route then so-be-it. Stay out of debt.

Education now or it may be never.

We all still have friends that are "planning" to go back.

Before you throw down a lot of cash, I would make sure flying is for you. Take a lesson locally, at least one. See if the shoes fit before you go running.

You must have a plan B in aviation, when you get furloughed or have your medical revoked, what are you going to do?
College is needed or you will be looked down upon. If you hate college, that is because your doing a degree that does not interest you.
If you must go fly now, try the military.

First off, read through the entire thread that was started by chrish(thinking about ATP) there are alot of good arguments brought up in that one. Second you are 18, what is your rush? Airlines wont even think about hiring you till atleast 21, getting better around 24. ATP is a fast pace program, and the guys that do good go to class at 8 am and stay in the sim till 10 pm 7 days a week. Say you do go to ATP, and get done, IF they hire you and I stress "IF" you now become the instructor that is there 7 days a week working your butt off, you will have no time for school. If you dont get hired by ATP, good luck finding a flight school that will Hire a 18 year old CFI. Most local schools like to hire their own students cause they know them very well, the only time they do hire outside of their school is when they are hurting for CFI's (there are alot of CFI's looking for work right now) my opinion, atleast do your private at a local school and get more knowledge built up then decide if the fast pace program is worth it. If you do decide ATP, please please please read the fine print on the refund policy if they kick you out, I dont care how many ATP people will argue aginst me on this, I went to ATP in PHX, my roommate paid his 55,000 for the fast pace career program, he had his private before he went to ATP, and he left ATP with his Private multi instrument. (2) ratings, it took him 3 try's to pass the instrument and they kicked him out. He went home with 2,000 bucks and a multi instrument rating. In short 53,000 for 2 ratings. Good luck on your decision and what ever you do, stay in school. "just my honest opinion"

I don't understand the rush. At this point in your life, you are 18. At this point in the economy, why spend the cash. Everyone has cut back or is still cutting back even though fuel prices are down and they will rise again which means the people they start to hire, they will eventually get furloughed and guess what, you have no degree to fall back on then you are going to wish you had finished college. Stay in school, don't worry about a career right now. Another option would be to go to your local FBO and get your private and then once you get a degree, finish up your ratings if you choose to do so.

Go to a college that has a flight program and do it all together.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/collegiate-aviation/

MTSU was a pretty good school. I HATE school but once I got past all the General Education BS it was really enjoyable. Going to class to learn about something you Actually want to learn about is totally different than English 2010 or whatever.

Doesn't matter which college you attend, but once you start sending that resume out for that airline job, it better have a 4 year degrees on it.

Good Luck Sir.

College. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Enjoy Life. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Meet women. . .

College. . .

College. . .

or

Join the military, and have the government subsidize your flight training costs in four years.

College. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Don't Rush towards your dream, lest you wake up and it's a nightmare.

College. . .

College. . .

College. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Enjoy Life. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Meet women. . .

College. . .

College. . .

or

Join the military, and have the government subsidize your flight training costs in four years.

College. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Don't Rush towards your dream, lest you wake up and it's a nightmare.

College. . .

College. . .

You need to sprinkle more women into that list....

:nana2:

ATP, then college.

If you get your certs before you go off to college, you can instruct as your job in college. In four years of instructing part time, you'll probably have atleast 135 mins, if not more. Plus, if you see a chick thats hot, ask her on a flying date!

You can be done with ATP in just over 1 summer. But beware, it's really fast paced. About 1/4 of those who start, don't make it all the way through(sometimes more). Please take no offense to this, but every person who I saw come through your age, didn't make it all the way through. They were not motivated. So if you go, hang with the older guys, and feed of of them. Keep your head in the game, and don't party.

Oh yeah, DON'T DO THE GULFSTREAM THING. Why PFJ, when you have a license that will allow you to make money flying.

Hey guys thanks for all your help. I'm thinking about just staying in school for now and at the same time work on my PPL but because I live in the city (New York City),where their are no flight schools or FBO's. So I dont think thats possible and I recently got qualified (loan) to attend ATP, but have not accepted it yet. I firgured if I would do ATP now, by the time im finished, hiring will begin again, but I can be wrong. I'll have gathered enough time as far as for minimums and ill be a year older, (not that it will make a difference.) And as far as for college, Ill be in my second year and I can pick up where I left off or just aqquire an online degree.
And Im very serious about this. I dont think I'll fall behind in the fast pace program. I have already bought many books and videos (mainly from Kings)that deal with Private Pilot, so I'm a little ahead.

Hey guys thanks for all your help. I'm thinking about just staying in school for now and at the same time work on my PPL but because I live in the city (New York City),where their are no flight schools or FBO's. So I dont think thats possible and I recently got qualified (loan) to attend ATP, but have not accepted it yet. I firgured if I would do ATP now, by the time im finished, hiring will begin again, but I can be wrong. I'll have gathered enough time as far as for minimums and ill be a year older, (not that it will make a difference.) And as far as for college, Ill be in my second year and I can pick up where I left off or just aqquire an online degree.
And Im very serious about this. I dont think I'll fall behind in the fast pace program. I have already bought many books and videos (mainly from Kings)that deal with Private Pilot, so I'm a little ahead.
Good luck man, and if you do go to ATP I would sugest the PHX location, I know of three instructors there that are actually really good instructors, one with the pass record to prove it she knows her stuff.

I'm from NYC too. There are FBO's out in Long Island, across the river in NJ, and up in White Plains. If you have the means to get to them you can start your PPL. I highly recommend getting your PPL at an FBO and making sure you like flying before you jump head-first into ATP. Save ATP for later. Definitely finish school, maybe doing the career program at ATP over one summer then using CFI ratings to instruct while waiting to finish college. There are many ways to go, just don't put all your eggs in the one basket! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Good luck man, and if you do go to ATP I would sugest the PHX location, I know of three instructors there that are actually really good instructors, one with the pass record to prove it she knows her stuff.

Must be either Mika or Amanda. Jamal is also awsome.

Back