Need Serious Help!

Im not trying to be a jackass, but I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would say go to college first and then get your ratings. There is no benefit to doing them after college, in fact I would say your not only delaying your career, your not using the college credits that could be gained by those ratings.

If you cant afford to do both, that is another story. College first then of course.

If money is not an issue and you can pay for both. Get your ratings first, instruct while in college and turn your ratings into college credits so you can graduate faster. Can anyone point out a negative to doing that?

Its sort of what I am doing, I did not get a CFI but I managed to get a 135 FO gig and im taking classes online through embry riddle. Getting my ratings saved me almost an entire year of college, plus im building time now while taking classes.

If one of the more experianced guys whats to correct me, please do. But please type more than "college first". Give us some reasons to why you advise that.

I would recommend not going to ATP, and instead going to one of the many reputable flight schools who will put you through basically the same program (probably even better).

After you get done with your CFI, then go to college and instruct while there. :)

Most of the above posts have hit on some really really good points...so I am just going to babble a bit here.

1) Hysterical- Its not a question of whether or not you "like to fly"....if you really feel like getting yourself involved in the realm of "professional pilot" then you must desire to fly more then eating. If you take a couple of lessons and find that flying is fun, then great. Get your ppl and be a renter. Because, if you are not bitten by the aviation bug so friggin' hard that it is all you can ever think of doing----you should not even consider the professional route.

Your scenario is alot more complicated then most of these guys flippantly make it out to be. From your posts you have stated that you want to finance ATP. Bad idea. I dont recommend ATP unless you can pay out of pocket. The interest rates associated with an ATP loan are much much higher then a Federal Stafford collegiate loan (school loans through a college). Usually those are 2-4% intrest with NO intrest accruing whilst you are enrolled as a full time student. Think Wachovia or Sallie Mae can beat that rate???

I went to college first. I had NO thoughts of becoming a professional pilot. I went pre-law and was dead set on becoming an attorney. It wasn't until after meeting and speaking with a number of lawyers that I decided litigation was not for me. Which is exactly the process you are going through. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. Keep it up.

If I had it to do over again I would have attended a college which had a reputable flight training program and DOUBLE majored in aviation and something medical/science related. You would end up with two degrees and your ratings. All at government subsidized student loan rates.

Only problem for you is that you say you don't like college!?!?!?

WTF man.:confused: College is EXACTLY what you make of it. SO IS ATP. I miss college. I graduated with a 4 year degree and then attended ATP for private through MEI-I. College is WAY more fun then ATP. ATP is work. If you dont believe me then look at their 50% FAIL rate.

I realize that I was fortunate to come away from college and ATP debt free, but I researched researched researched. If you finance ATP then you will have a monthly payment for 400-600 bucks. College payment-----150-250 a month. You really need to look at the financial aspects of your choice. At the age of 18 you are legally responsible for any debt you incur.:banghead:

The cynic in me also wants to tell you to go work construction for a summer framing houses. It will teach you to LOVE the easy life of college. I mean come on man!!!! Staring at girls in class all day is awesome. :crazy:

Socal approach, runway in sight, cancelling IFR. :nana2:

Why? If you get your ratings first plus a CFI you can instruct while at school.

Not to mention your ratings are worth college credits, why not use them?
Thats what I'm doing. That way when I graduate I should have a bunch of time plus a degree, instead of spending four years in school then having a crap load of flying left to do. Besides, school sucks, bad. Its easier to get through when you're actually flying at the same time, makes the goal seem closer.

I would not advise ATP as your choice. I am a ATP graduate and I did get through the program alright but I saw a lot of people kicked out of the program after spending their money on training. The corporate side treats their staff and students like crap. They are being sued by an instructor even for being forced to fly broken airplanes. Not to mention they dont give you all the multi time they say they will. Most of the instructors are good but they still have to take orders from corporate. Good luck

Hi milehighpilot08,

Welcome to Jetcareers!

Don't forget that there's a few hundred more posts in the ATP forums that you can post your experience in. ;)

Bob

Back