Need Serious Help!

College sucks. But you need to do it. Community college is what I'm doing, just go to class, go home, do your work, your done. I don't think I could ever live on a campus and run around in school colors. Not my thing.

Go to college first. If you read this forum long enough, you will see how many people wished that they had a college degree in something other than flying. You are young. You have time to get a degree and then do the flying on the side.

I would say stay in college now, and start working towards your PPL at a local FBO (even if local means you have to drive an hour, there are lots of airports near NYC). By the time you finish your PPL, you should have an idea if you REALLY want to pursue aviation as a career, plus you have another year of college under your belt. In the mean time keep reading this forum keep researching, and then ask us again.

You must have a plan B in aviation, when you get furloughed or have your medical revoked, what are you going to do?
College is needed or you will be looked down upon. If you hate college, that is because your doing a degree that does not interest you.
If you must go fly now, try the military.

Education now or it may be never.

We all still have friends that are "planning" to go back.

Before you throw down a lot of cash, I would make sure flying is for you. Take a lesson locally, at least one. See if the shoes fit before you go running.

College first, ATP second.

1. How are you going to finance ATP?
2. How do you plan on making yourself competitive when the guys next to you have the degrees?

AT LEAST get a 2-year degree in something. You can pretty much forget the majors unless you have the 4-year.

I'm thinking about choosing the fast paced 90 program along with the private pilot course.
If you were in my position what would you do?
Get a job.
Start flying when you can afford to.
Save up every little bit you can

Would you go for it or would you approach elsewere of ATP?
If you can finance ATP then MAYBE but otherwise go to your local airport and talk to people and find out costs.

I really don't enjoy college at all and always wanted to become a pilot.
I hate going to classes, and I'm an aviation major! It's just something you have to do to survive.

...and currently have no expirence with flying
How do you know you will be able to pass a Medical, or maybe you will hate flying..maybe even not get it. It's just not for everyone. Just something to think about before dropping $50,000

If you go to ATP and do their 90 day program...in 3-4 months you will have your ratings, then what? You think anybody will hire an 18-year old with 250 hours and no experience?

College. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Enjoy Life. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Meet women. . .

College. . .

College. . .

or

Join the military, and have the government subsidize your flight training costs in four years.

College. . .

College. . .

College. . .

Don't Rush towards your dream, lest you wake up and it's a nightmare.

College. . .

College. . .

Print - Frame & Read at least 2x's a day.

ATP first then college.
If you do college first, then you automatically postpone ypour career by 4 years!! Go to ATP and get your ratings, then those ratings can be applied to some colleges and they give up to 30-36 hours credit for them!! Finish the rest of your degree through online courses so that you can continue building time. With online courses, you can go at an excellerated pace instead of waiting for the rest of the class to catch up.
This is the path I took and I was in a glass cockpit jet one year after my first solo and received my degree the next year. I moved on to a legacy carrier the two years after that.
Summarize: ATP then college online while instructing = 1st airline job in 1 year, degree in 2 years, and Legacy carrier in 4 years.
I know that individual results may vary but the pilots that were at my first airline inteview had all done degrees first and had been flying for 4-6 years!! I was already 3-5 years ahead of them...

All I am going to say is you need to speak to some of the more experienced crowd around here. I have a very STRONG feeling if you speak to someone who is at least a CA at a regional if not a FO at a legacy or higher you will get a better understanding. I am BLOWN away at those who are telling you to go to ATP first. Let me play a situation for you. Right now I know at least two of my former students whom were 18 at the time they went to ATP. Both of whom are from the LOU area. Both of whom are not instructing, did not get on with the airlines due to age, and both of whom have 70k in debt due to ATP. In addition they are back in college and finding ANY job is difficult right now.

Time your time, do some research. You sound like the TYPICAL I want to fly and make 200k doing so type of guy. Yes its possible. But its not possible to start. Many of us will never make that in our career. I love my job, I'd not trade it for the world... But I can tell you right now, I would not trade my degree even for FLYING. If I lose my medical tomorrow I have something to back up my aviation career with. What would you have? Other then a lot of debt? A high school core 40 education maybe? Hmm. I dont know something just seems like you need to do a lot of research. In addition do not call ATP, SKymates, Ariben, or any other place and ask them. Because right now, all of them would tell you the same thing most likely. They all want money and students right now due to a decline in them.

At the end of the day its your call. But I can tell you now, if you go to college and get your degree its something YOU will not regret. I cannot say the same for if you do it the other way around.

ATP first then college.

I know that individual results may vary but the pilots that were at my first airline inteview had all done degrees first and had been flying for 4-6 years!! I was already 3-5 years ahead of them...

Are you serious? Do you work for an airline right now? Or are you just randomly typing as a first post? I could not disagree with you any more then I do right now. That advice right there is like telling our troops, "GO to war, fight it with your hands because who needs guns or any sort of protection." Would you go fight that war? Didnt think so.

By the way welcome... And please do take the time to get to know a few of the more experienced guys around here. Bobduck, Captainbob, doug, SteveC and the others.... It would be a good thing for you.

Have you ever even flown an aircraft? Your original post made it seem like you hadn't. You may get up there and realize it's not for you. Perhaps a discovery flight would be the best first step.

I vote private thru instrument while working and going to community college. Then finish the rest.

Are you serious? Do you work for an airline right now? Or are you just randomly typing as a first post? I could not disagree with you any more then I do right now. That advice right there is like telling our troops, "GO to war, fight it with your hands because who needs guns or any sort of protection." Would you go fight that war? Didnt think so.

Thanks for the welcome. Its nice to be able to share personal experiences with other pilots.
Yes Im currently employed with an airline out of Love Field. Anyone that has been in this business for any amount of time knows that it is all about timing. ATP allowed me to be at the right place at the right time. My father always told me to work your but off in order to place yourself at the door, ready to walk through, when the opportunity presents itself. That's what ATP and then college online did for me.

I would go to college and get your ratings on the side at an FBO. It'll be cheaper and you'll not postpone your career any, if anything you may get better networking at the FBO.

...if anything you may get better networking at the FBO.
I kind of question this...

I spent over two years at a decently large FBO, and in all that time, outside of my own instructor who was awesome... I met the three other instructors (two of which were disgruntled), and maybe 1 or 2 other students during that time.

While at a larger flight school... I met dozens of guys and gals who were in various stages of their training, and who also helped me along with my own training, I also met several instructors at multiple locations, and dozen's of military guys coming in to get their ATP ratings before heading off to SWA, Fedex, UPS, etc. While instructing for the same school, I made literally dozens more connections... CFI's coming from other schools to get their add-on's, more military guys & gals, and several students who had "side deals" with their old workplace who had told them to "go get their ratings, and when you return we'll put you in the right seat.".

Today I'm working alongside dozens of those same aquaintences and I have several of those military guys on my speed-dial who are now at the major's. Many of my instructors are now also at a Major, and a few of my students are flying corporate.

Anyway... YMMV of course, but that was my experience. Regardless... JC.com has been even more beneficial in the networking department.

Bob

follow your dream! the safe way is not always the right way. Life favors the bold. If you feel called to something, trust that the doors will open. You can still goto ATP and take college courses online. I agree that an education is a must. However don't think for one minute that a college degree is going to secure you anything in life besides debt. If you want to be a pilot take a couple lessons and see if your capable. If so ATP is a great choice. (my two cents)

To the original poster:

Based off what I've read here, this is a good possible road map for you given your age, etc.

1. Go up in a plane and see if you love it. If you just kinda think it's cool then move on to something else. Something else being stay in college and get good grades.

If you love it....

2 I would seriously consider joining some branch of the military. Here is why: Paid training is HUGE, it's as secure of a job as you can find, doing something positive for your country, when you're done in 8-20 years from now I think you will find that you are most likely in a better financial position given retirement, benefits, not being in debt from training. The jobs you will be eligible for after the military will surprise you. In addition to airline pilot and the stuff you already know about you could get a pretty cool job with the FAA or Border Patrol etc. Any federal agency is going to love the former military background.

3. If the military isn't for you, step 3 is to refer to SURREAL1221 post. I couldn't have said it better.

Closing thoughts from a 31 year old married guy: I have a four year degree from a good school and that barely cuts the mustard these days. It's really just a starting point in todays world. Most of my more successful friends had to suck it up and go get an even higher degree such as a PHD or Masters etc. I hate to say it but if someone your age doesn finish college it's almost a gaurantee that you will eek your way through life. The educated get paid and the uneducated serve the people getting paid. I just made that last part up but it's true if you think about it. Also, school is way more fun than work but that's just one of those things you can't appreciate until life has beaten you down some. You will know what I'm talking about in about 10 years.

Ps.
Do yourself a favor and find some cute girls to study with. It will change your perspective on things.

First off, read through the entire thread that was started by chrish(thinking about ATP) there are alot of good arguments brought up in that one. Second you are 18, what is your rush? Airlines wont even think about hiring you till atleast 21, getting better around 24. ATP is a fast pace program, and the guys that do good go to class at 8 am and stay in the sim till 10 pm 7 days a week. Say you do go to ATP, and get done, IF they hire you and I stress "IF" you now become the instructor that is there 7 days a week working your butt off, you will have no time for school. If you dont get hired by ATP, good luck finding a flight school that will Hire a 18 year old CFI. Most local schools like to hire their own students cause they know them very well, the only time they do hire outside of their school is when they are hurting for CFI's (there are alot of CFI's looking for work right now) my opinion, atleast do your private at a local school and get more knowledge built up then decide if the fast pace program is worth it. If you do decide ATP, please please please read the fine print on the refund policy if they kick you out, I dont care how many ATP people will argue aginst me on this, I went to ATP in PHX, my roommate paid his 55,000 for the fast pace career program, he had his private before he went to ATP, and he left ATP with his Private multi instrument. (2) ratings, it took him 3 try's to pass the instrument and they kicked him out. He went home with 2,000 bucks and a multi instrument rating. In short 53,000 for 2 ratings. Good luck on your decision and what ever you do, stay in school. "just my honest opinion"

Splunker, I disagree with about every thing you said. I am turned 18 is September, started the ACPP in October. Then I finished the program in January. You are not in class all day, you may have sim sessions for a couple hours on some days, some days you have ground, others you fly. You also will incounter a day off from time to time. Its getting you ready for the airlines. In the airlines you fly almost everyday so you have to get used to the long days. Also, flight schools do hire 18 y/o instructors because I am full time at a part 141 flight school. I just completed the Regional Jet Standardization Course at ATP, and they were suprised how well I performed. Some airlines have age requirements such as SkyWest which is 21, but most do not. ATP helps tremendously with getting you a job, even with this economy. The agreements that they have are with very good regionals allowing you to get hired with reduced minimums. The companies really like ATP grads. I am interviewing with Colgan for the September class. As for your buddy who got kicked out, who's fault is that? ATP wasn't the one who was flying the airplane. You are usually allowed 2 fails before they get on your case. If you fail you instrument rating twice, you usually have to do your cross countries with an instructor because you probably don't really know what your doing and they won't put you in one of their airplanes with another student becuase of obvious reasons.

I recommend doing the program first, college second because when the airlines start hiring again, you will have the ratings you need. You can always go to college after, like I am doing online at Utah Valley. If you decide to do the program its a commitment. You are here to fly, not to goof off. If you put the time in to study, and you know your stuff, you will have no problem excelling in this program. It is an awesome time and you meet some really cool people. Hope this helps and good luck!

I did the ATP route first, College second, Im happy with what I did and would do it the same way again if I had to.

I did ATP over a summer (debt free) and by the time I had finished 4 years of college I had already almost 2000 hours of flight time and a nice job that paid very well. And paid for my college debt free.

Had I done college first, I would be starting ATP this summer, and would have graduated 20 thousand in debt, and wouldn't have had a job I got now and be looking for a job with 250 hours in this industry thats hiring no one at the moment it seems. But that's just me. I think people who say college first are the ones that DID college first, and the people who recommends ATP DID ATP first. Its natural that whatever route yourself took, is the best option for everyone else.

1. Stay out of debt!
2. Get your private pilots license at a FBO. ATP is not the place to find out that your not meant to be a pilot. Besides, ATP takes all the fun out of flying. I had a blast at the FBO. ATP is good for the Instrument training on forward. It gets quite a bit more serious then the fun paced FBO. (Although I went to ATP, Their price increases have taken away my support from them. I still like the accelerated courses though.

Back