Need Advice

rev4life03

I hope this is in the right section. If not, please forgive me.

Ok so a little background.

I am 22 years old and I live in New York, I have my PPL and IR and also just received my associates degree last May. I decided to get a General Studies degree so I can transfer it later and keep my options open. I want to eventually become a career pilot, but I don't want the debt.

Since I don't want the debt, I began looking at my options;

1. Work and pay as I go (very tough for NY state thanks to Taxes, living expenses, etc) The only school near me is a 141 school with $105 an hour C-152, $130 an hour for C172, $160 for 172RG. The CFI is another $50 an hour. All of the other schools around here have since closed up shop due to the economy.

2. Join the Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve and have school paid for.

Now, I am here to ask if joining the National Guard or Air Force reserve is a good idea or a long shot. I am leaning towards the NY Guard and here is why;

Benefits;

1. Weekend Warrior
2. New York offers its Air Guard members up to 100% tuition assistance at any state college or university.
3. E-3 Pay right at the start (Associates Degree) - $234
4. The Montgomery G.I. Bill
5. GI Bill Kicker - ($350 per month while in school)
6. I know aviation degrees are frowned upon, but, if I can get it for free and it is decided that an aviation degree lowers the hour minimum, it looks worth it. With my General studies degree I can always transfer the credits to a second bachelors degree.

To me, this seams too good to be true, which is why I am asking you. My plan was if I did this, join the ANG, go to SUNY Farmingdale and grab my ratings and 4-year degree, if I liked the ANG and wanted to further myself to Officer, go to OCS and become an officer (if selected of course) and get a pay raise. Then I can flight instruct while serving, and build my time to the coveted 1500 hours. I am not picky about what, where I fly. If I never get the chance to fly in the military, I won't be upset with that, flight instructing will be just as fine, however, If I have my degree and a slot opens up you can rest assure I will try and get it! If I were to decide to join, I would also get the AGI and IGI before BMT.'

I would also, when the time is appropriate, like to obtain my dispatcher certificate to offer more opportunities in aviation than just flying a plane.

I am in no rush to get to the airlines, I feel old but know I still have time, I just refuse to have the debt burden on me.

So, what do you think?

Thanks everyone!

6. I know aviation degrees are frowned upon, but, if I can get it for free and it is decided that an aviation degree lowers the hour minimum, it looks worth it. With my General studies degree I can always transfer the credits to a second bachelors degree.

Generally, unless you get a dual degree you can't use credits from one degree towards another, but you should check with your intended school.

Back