Need Advice: Stay or go?

I don't know much except for my good buddy Joe and his experience; what happens post med-school and she drops SC or IL for residency?
Are you going to quit your FAA job to follow her in four years?
My good buddy Joe did, now his pumping gas on the ramp and sitting home alone while his wife is working or sleeping.
I'm not saying I know squat about how that residency drop works, but it sounded like a crap-shoot.
Though good ole'Joe...he'll get his sugar momma plane some day and be laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm on my phone about to commute back to chicago for my last trip with the airlines. I struggled with it and decided to quit 121 and return to my desk job (marketing). If you search for my thread you'll see my scenario.

Ill tell you "it becomes just a job" very quickly, but in its own way there are some unique benefits. Mowing the lawn at 10am on a Thursday, going to the park in the middle of the week with your lady. But the flip side is how often youre gone. I just did 4 days on, 2 off, 5 on. Luckily I'm able to commute in the morning of (partially because I'm willing to risk not making my shown time right now), but for you that would mean you would have had to stay in your base for 11 days straight. For me, that's not a life, I don't want to be that kind of parent or spouse. But I've spent 1.5 years as a regional fo (with a 2 year furlough in the middle) and the irresisitable itch is gone.

PM me if you want, ill be sitting in hotels for the next 5 days :)

A lot of good information here. Some people have been bitten by harshness and feel that their story is how it will end up for everyone else. Others have had phenomenal luck and feel that their story is how it will wind up for everyone else. Both are blinded by their own experiences and those are the stories that you are hearing. The bottom line is you have to make a decision and take a chance! The absolute worst thing you can do is hesitate and play it safe and uncertain..life will pass you by faster than you think.

A lot of good information here. Some people have been bitten by harshness and feel that their story is how it will end up for everyone else. Others have had phenomenal luck and feel that their story is how it will wind up for everyone else. Both are blinded by their own experiences and those are the stories that you are hearing. The bottom line is you have to make a decision and take a chance! The absolute worst thing you can do is hesitate and play it safe and uncertain..life will pass you by faster than you think.

:yeahthat:

Nice to hear a doctor's perspective from Inthedraft. Sounds like their QOL sucks too for a good while. They may be home every night, but they're gone for long hours. Anyways...

There is a lot of talk about it's not worth it in terms of going to the regionals. It IS when thinking long term in getting to the majors. And that is the key.... you have to think long term. He's got it right in trying to plan life ahead years down the road. The regionals is where he will build up his time and experience quickly. The bridge program is absolutely the fast track ticket given his flying experience. In fact, it may be the only one. With a full-time desk job, it will be tough to build time quickly as a CFI on the side. There was mention of why not a nice corporate outfit. Tell me where are you going to find a nice corporate flying job with low time and no turbine experience?

Best of luck!

That's the juice. The juice, it turns out, is weak. I've scared myself six ways from Sunday in an airplane. I've dealt with plenty of Weather, and a few bitchy passengers, and a few broken airplanes.

I don't think the juice is weak at all...in fact, I'd argue that the juice is just as strong and seductive as love and lust and a host of other addictive narcotics. Strong enough to make perfectly logical, rational individuals make stupid choices in the constant pursuit of it. This is why you have endless numbers of people who are willing to fly for nothing and sacrifice anything for the type of juice that flying airplanes offers.

I'm hopelessly addicted to that kind of juice which being a pilot offers.

Personally, it doesn't get any better than being in combat in a jet, having the ultimate weight on your shoulders as you roll in on a 20mm strafe pass, desperately hoping that your aim is good enough to kill the bad guys and not unintentionally hurt/kill the good guys...and then the release when your ground party screams, "DIRECT HIT!! DIRECT HIT!!!", knowing your rounds struck home, while you're hauling the stick back into a 5G climb away from the ground you were just rushing toward at nearly 500 knots. The juice is when you're checking out to go home and the JTAC says, "Thanks....you saved my life!".

That's juice that I'll spend the rest of my life chasing, and will (hopefully) never find again.

I don't think the juice is weak at all...in fact, I'd argue that the juice is just as strong and seductive as love and lust and a host of other addictive narcotics. Strong enough to make perfectly logical, rational individuals make stupid choices in the constant pursuit of it. This is why you have endless numbers of people who are willing to fly for nothing and sacrifice anything for the type of juice that flying airplanes offers.

I'm hopelessly addicted to that kind of juice which being a pilot offers.

Personally, it doesn't get any better than being in combat in a jet, having the ultimate weight on your shoulders as you roll in on a 20mm strafe pass, desperately hoping that your aim is good enough to kill the bad guys and not unintentionally hurt/kill the good guys...and then the release when your ground party screams, "DIRECT HIT!! DIRECT HIT!!!", knowing your rounds struck home, while you're hauling the stick back into a 5G climb away from the ground you were just rushing toward at nearly 500 knots. The juice is when you're checking out to go home and the JTAC says, "Thanks....you saved my life!".

That's juice that I'll spend the rest of my life chasing, and will (hopefully) never find again.
That reminds me a time the flight attendant asked me if I wanted a diet coke or coke zero. What a rush!

I love flying as much as anyone, but the thought of someone leaving a stable, well paying, government position with excellent benefits to go swing gear and live at airports for $25k/year makes me nauseas.

Only you can make that decision, but I am 100% sure that there are many airline guys who would love to see your current job listed in the "jobs available" subforum.

At 300 hours TT you still have foggles on when it comes to aviation. I would buy a nice airplane and get out there and enjoy building time on the weekends. Do not give up your stable future earnings, and possibly your future wife to fly just yet. At least give it a few years to see where your life may take you first.

You will have the opportunity to catch AIDS Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome again in the future should you want to.

Dreams.....Future.....Regret

It seems you can not have one, without the other two.

I have not posted on these boards in a looong time, simply because I never feel that I have anything to add (as I am not flying). However, I have exchanged some PM's with a few folks and I owe lunch to one just south of me (which should come in the next month or so). This may be a long response, although I will try to keep it as condenced as possible.

I am 32 years old and all through my childhood and teenage years, I had exactly two things on my mind, at all times; gaining entrance to the USAF Academy (to become an F-16 pilot) and becoming a professional soccer player. The order changed daily and some days one was more important than the other. During this time, I also spent all of my free time either fishing or hunting and I began to entertain the thought of working in those industries. Well, my Senior year of High School came and despite having 99 out of 100 things going for me, that one thing kept me from obtaining an Academy appointment. I was devestated! However, I knew all was not lost as there was always AFROTC which I did participate in (up until it was time to make the commitment). In the meantime, my dedication to doing all I could to become a military pilot was dwindling. Not because the odds were now lower (at that time most all pilot/navigator qualified cantidates from my detatchment obtained slots) or because I did not have things going my way (a close friend, a Commander in the Navy was willing to do all he could for me on the Navy side). My focus was changing.

My soccer play was starting to become noticed on many different levels, by many different people. At the time I was spending my summers as a fishing guide in Northwestern Ontario while playing and training the remainder of the year. While killing time one day in Ontario, I saw an individual working on ball drills in front of a group of a half dozen people. A loose ball came my way and just being a goof, I show boated and booted the ball back. I was then asked to come over to them and then asked to scrimage and do some one on one with the other guy. Turns out he was a Canadian National Team member working out for the European team Ajax. Long story short, I ended up playing for Ajax at two different levels for a couple of years. When I made it back to the states, I kept playing with a few close friends (one of whom worked for the Kansas City Wizards). Before I knew it, I was invited to train with the Kansas City Wizards MLS team and I was invited to train with and play with the Chicago Fire in the off season. While training with the Fire, I hyper-extended and dislocated my knee.....career over!

Then I start working in the outdoors industry. I end up meeting a cute girl that can shoot the lights out with a bow and a pistol. We kind of hit it off and almost 8 years later we are engaged. We move to Arizona so she can pursue a new career and I end up in the last place that I EVER thought I would live. I am currently going back to school for a Web Design/Development degree with the intention of becoming self-employed. However, I will also be testing for an LE position with Arizona Game and Fish.

All through those years, late high school and post high-school, I was in serious relationships; a 3 year, a 3 1/2 year and now an 8 year. I chose to pursue those things that I felt I would never have a shot at again, despite the relationships. Do I regret losing any of those past girlfriends? No. I regret everyday not sticking with AFROTC and trying for a pilot slot. Would I have been fortunate enough to land a UPT slot? Who knows. My soccer injury, I was given a choice; operation and rehab or no. I was told that they could operate on my knee and we could rehab it and I MAY play again. Or they could let it recover on its own and I would NEVER play at that level again. I opted to forego the surgery. I live a normal life, I work out, run, mountain bike, hunt hard, etc. but the knee is still weak. Do I regret not having the surgery and attempting to rehab the knee, to keep playing? Yes.

So here I am in Arizona, which I am not very fond of. Do I regret moving here? No. Why? The relocation gave us a new start on life so to speak and it is where we became engaged. Will we relocate in the future? Perhaps, but not if I get the LE job. I guess the point that I am trying to make (by being very long winded) is that YOU need to do what YOU feel YOU need to, to make YOU happy. I (as do many of us) understand just how difficult a situation you are in and what she may mean to you. The fact of the matter is, no matter which way you ultimately decide to go, you will have regrets. The question becomes what regrets can you live with and which ones will haunt you? I have two that haunt me just about every day, but in the end, I feel that I ended up where I am supposed to be, somehow! You never know what doors may open in the future and by giving something up now, you may unknowingly be opening a new door that you don't know about yet.

Good luck with your decision and all the best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzglQ6CSUM
Lyrics may help you, but then again, probably not!

On a side note: when I did chase a dream, I wished I had the/a girl! Now I've got the girl and we are chasing OUR dreams!

I've read quite a bit of this thread, but not all of it so forgive me if I miss a few things. I saw you said your 25 years old and 300/30ME and if it is your dream to fly jets then do it, especially with your experience (no offense) I would take it. I went to another accredited university like OU with a similar program, I tried to slide into a regional the same way and it didn't work so instead I moved to Miami and instructed. I'm the type thats always in search of adventure and a challenge, something new, something crazy. Thats why I became a pilot in the first place, thats why I joined the Army, thats why I fly in the islands, thats why I like to be a ferry pilot for more than just the flight time. I put my life to the rocking chair test, meaning when I look back what I want to know I lived my life to the fullest.

The GF factor is tough, but theres always more women (no offense if that offended anyone) IMO. But that decision really boils down to you and your priorities in life, personally I'm not ready to be tied down and when I do its going to be to someone thats 100% behind me in everything I do, as I will be for her. But I also have a really close friend that is married with a baby and likes being tied down and to be perfectly honest she wears the pants in the relationship if you know what I mean. But he likes having a wife and baby and something special to come home to everynight and he's happy so I'm happy for him. Maybe someday that will be for me but for now I live my life on my own terms and I like knowing that I can pack up and leave whenever I want and go wherever I want. I also live in Miami so my priorities may be different from someone that lives in rural Oklahoma...

I got into this industry for the cool planes and the wow factor. I've stayed in it for the sense of adventure, travel opportunities, and the amazing people I've met along the way. Maybe with a little luck I'll actually make some money as well. Everyone says the pay is bad, but the prospects of serving/bartending/customer services certainly aren't looking any better. Also the 25K/yr pay is only the two years and its gets better.

Back to the financial factor, the paycut will be tough but look at it this way... Your 25 meaning you have 40 years left til the age 65 rule forces you to retire. The time to suck it up at a regional is now because your debt free with little responsibility, if you wait until your 40 and you have a wife and three kids, its probably to late. So if you do choose to follow the airline path, now is the time. Plus if you really hate it, just give it four or five years get into the left seat (you'll still only be 30 by then), then you'll have the time and options to work for a better corporate company or whatever else if you can't stand flying 121 anymore.

Good luck in your decision.

I chose to stay behind the desk. My friend who got picked up by Pinnacle is now at the bottom of a 3000 pilot seniority list. I feel like I lost a big opportunity, but only time will tell. I think flying is in my future still, and with the great money I am making and will make in the future, aircraft ownership is not too far off. I moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend. In a way she gave up her dream med school to be with me and go to an in-state med school. So far we are very happy. The job is just a job, but it doesn't mean I am going to die behind a desk.

Thanks to all those who took time to give their input, share opinions, and give advice. It has been much appreciated.

Thank you.
clipperstall

Back