Nap time

Yeah F a bunch of that. In the regional days I tried to maximize my time at home a few times. 0400 central time alarm to make a 0600 commute. Fly to lax and hang out in the airport for until about 1500 pacific. Then start my day. Two SAN turns then up to PDX. Done done at 0030, 0230 my time. Damn near a 24 hour duty day. Did that a handful of times and realized I’m going to kill someone doing that. Not worth an extra night at home.

And that someone would, more likely than another outcome, be you.
F'ing no thanks a million times. I'd probably just leave the industry if that's what I had to do to get to work.

I remember my LAX classmates a couple falls/winters ago, almost having to go back to the sim because they sat at home on SCR that long

I’ve only flown 2 legs since Jan 23rd on reserve. Made for some training nerves at recurrent this week, but it went well and maybe I’m only partially as dumb as I thought 😀

Kind of funny to think that half of my landings in the last six weeks have been one engine inoperative

And that someone would, more likely than another outcome, be you.
F'ing no thanks a million times. I'd probably just leave the industry if that's what I had to do to get to work.
Too true. I think this speaks to a long held belief of mine that while commuting sucks, those that are the most miserable doing it are the min/maxers. I get wanting to spend less time away and more time at home but, damn, if your pushing your commute that hard your life is going to universally suck.

The secret to commuting is not knowing that you can take an Uber to the cargo terminal to catch a red eye to Memphis them a jumpseat getting you home 4 hours earlier if you just took the later flight. No, the secret is knowing that an extra night in base is just fine.

Too true. I think this speaks to a long held belief of mine that while commuting sucks, those that are the most miserable doing it are the min/maxers. I get wanting to spend less time away and more time at home but, damn, if your pushing your commute that hard your life is going to universally suck.

The secret to commuting is not knowing that you can take an Uber to the cargo terminal to catch a red eye to Memphis them a jumpseat getting you home 4 hours earlier if you just took the later flight. No, the secret is knowing that an extra night in base is just fine.
I prefer the paid ticket kind of commuting. No more commuting in on my day off, or commuting home on my day off.

I’ve only flown 2 legs since Jan 23rd on reserve. Made for some training nerves at recurrent this week, but it went well and maybe I’m only partially as dumb as I thought 😀

Kind of funny to think that half of my landings in the last six weeks have been one engine inoperative

LCR or SCR? If SC, what kinda RAP are you being left alone on?

No, the secret is knowing that an extra night in base is just fine.

Yep, this. As a car "commuter", I have spent plenty of additional nights, either before an early show time, or after a very late land, in base at an airport hotel (sometimes on my on dime, sometimes paid for by company under commuter hotel agreement). Difference is that I wake up refreshed, and it is an easy 2 hr drive home to enjoy the rest of the day. Rather than pumping coffee on the last leg of the day, drive home super late, and then be wide awake until 5 am. Or leaving at 0200 from my house to get to airport for an early report, and then fly until the evening time that day. No thanks.

Yep, this. As a car "commuter", I have spent plenty of additional nights, either before an early show time, or after a very late land, in base at an airport hotel (sometimes on my on dime, sometimes paid for by company under commuter hotel agreement). Difference is that I wake up refreshed, and it is an easy 2 hr drive home to enjoy the rest of the day. Rather than pumping coffee on the last leg of the day, drive home super late, and then be wide awake until 5 am. Or leaving at 0200 from my house to get to airport for an early report, and then fly until the evening time that day. No thanks.
I largely feel the same. I’ve been pretty lucky that the rare times I have a report time that necessitates an O’dark 30 leave the house time it’s for a one and done. If I had a stupid full day of flying I’d definitely 1, drop the trip 2, call in sick, or 3, stay in a hotel the night prior. Lol honestly in that order.

So fun thing… I recently got a Tesla with the FSD. Those long drives home have changed dramatically. Where it was routine to grab a Power Nap at the halfway point, using the autopilot has greatly reduced my drive induced fatigue. Definitely the difference between passive driving and active driving… a concept probably familiar to most people here able to compare hand flying to autopilot flying. I guess I just didn’t expect it to be so pronounced in a car.

*my commute is, on average, about a 2.5 hour drive.

I've shown up to work at 4am worked until 2am the following day and showed up ready to work another 7am-4pm shift that same morning. I'm not condoning that sort of behavior but it does happen on this side of the fence and we have no FARS about our duty/rest time. What happens if I get fatigued?

I've shown up to work at 4am worked until 2am the following day and showed up ready to work another 7am-4pm shift that same morning. I'm not condoning that sort of behavior but it does happen on this side of the fence and we have no FARS about our duty/rest time. What happens if I get fatigued?
Honestly? If you are fatigued, you should not perform aircraft maintenance. You owe it to the lives of the passengers and crews. If your employer forces you to work while you are fatigued, you should actively try to change that, spearhead a union drive, or you should quit.

Honestly? If you are fatigued, you should not perform aircraft maintenance. You owe it to the lives of the passengers and crews. If your employer forces you to work while you are fatigued, you should actively try to change that, spearhead a union drive, or you should quit.

What kinda quit we talkin?

Because there’s a thing now called quiet quitting. :oops:

That’s been a thing for a while. In fact, airline pilots have been practicing it for decades.

I mean, if my flight is supposed to land at 5pm and my day is supposed to end at 5pm, but then inflight we have delays and vectors and don’t land until after 6pm, it’s not like I can just parachute outta the plane at 5…

Honestly when those sorts of situations arise everyone on the floor is aware and if I decide I'm a little bedraggled someone will carry my baggage and I wouldn't do any heavy lifting. I've done those sorts of deals and opted out the next day without repercussions, but it's important for the people that look up to to you see you to set an example. It's not life or death in our mission, the airplane works or it doesn't, but we need to give our best effort so soft hands like yours can not waste your precious time showing up to a broken airplane. Maybe it's a large cabin international 135 thing and some of the pilots have a tendency to be a bit self absorbed and pretentious and any little thing might send them off into a self defeating spiral. I've never worked 121 but I suspect it's the same, maybe better in some ways and worse in others.

Honestly when those sorts of situations arise everyone on the floor is aware and if I decide I'm a little bedraggled someone will carry my baggage and I wouldn't do any heavy lifting. I've done those sorts of deals and opted out the next day without repercussions, but it's important for the people that look up to to you see you to set an example. It's not life or death in our mission, the airplane works or it doesn't, but we need to give our best effort so soft hands like yours can not waste your precious time showing up to a broken airplane. Maybe it's a large cabin international 135 thing and some of the pilots have a tendency to be a bit self absorbed and pretentious and any little thing might send them off into a self defeating spiral. I've never worked 121 but I suspect it's the same, maybe better in some ways and worse in others.

With aircraft maintenance it is absolutely life or death.

Back