My Theory on Regional Pilot Shortage

None of this will matter once Congress is successfully paid off by foreign interests to repeal cabotage laws.

From what I hear, there's constant push for it from these outside interests.

Outside of what? Outside of our increasingly arbitrary national borders? Very likely. Outside of the miasma of corruption and neo-feudalism which defines the 21st century thusfar? Nah. Those Interests are more "inside" than little peons like you or I will ever be, whatever our passports might claim.

I "liked" your post because I thought the prognostication was pretty right. But damn "strong figures", panaceas, and everything that comes with them. Just more of the same. I do not want to be (nor will I be) "galvanized", I want to be left alone to live in peace and work to improve my life and the lives of those around me, as we are all, IMHO, wont to do, when left the screw alone. I was born with zinc already applied to my iron, thank you, no assistance required. The Galvanic Figures can peddle their damned wares elsewhere. Misery, tyranny, and oppression, every time. How have we not figured this out by now? I don't need someone to explain to me what I should "believe in", whatever that means. And neither do you.

Damit. :)

Remember - what you write on the internet is being monitored, citizen. I expect you'll show proper deference to the authorities in the future.

If freight trains haven't converted cabs to drone controlled yet then it won't happen in even cargo flights. They operate in the 2d space and would be infinitely easier to implement than in airplanes. Nevermind none of this pilot less stuff will happen until nex gen is fully implemented and augmented for it which at this current rate will happen in 3000.

If freight trains haven't converted cabs to drone controlled yet then it won't happen in even cargo flights. They operate in the 2d space and would be infinitely easier to implement than in airplanes. Nevermind none of this pilot less stuff will happen until nex gen is fully implemented and augmented for it which at this current rate will happen in 3000.

Agreed.

Single pilot 121 operations is something I won't see in my lifetime, and I think it is unlikely my kids will see it either.

Agreed.

Single pilot 121 operations is something I won't see in my lifetime, and I think it is unlikely my kids will see it either.

I really, and truly believe that is wishful thinking. The only thing that separates every pilot, truck driver, bus driver and ship operator and hundreds of other occupations from joblessness is a few million lines of code, and you better believe that they're working on those lines of code as we speak, as that is what capitalism dictates.

I really, and truly believe that is wishful thinking. The only thing that separates every pilot, truck driver, bus driver and ship operator and hundreds of other occupations from joblessness is a few million lines of code, and you better believe that they're working on those lines of code as we speak, as that is what capitalism dictates.

I really don't want to think that in my lifetime I will see single 121 ops. Is it possible? Probably. What makes me feel a little better is the fact that aircraft manufactures are still making two pilot aircraft that will be around for a long time. My career is going to be around 40 years once I hit the airlines or another gig. The 787 and the like are not even fully implemented yet and this is still a two pilot deal. 737max, a320neo, a350..two pilots. All of them are here to stay. Not to mention the other airframes still in use are all two pilot that are sticking around. He'll, the MD80 is still around. I might be safe, but the next next gen might not be.

Cost to retrofit fleets to single pilot? Too much I think. My amateur opinion.

When enough money changes hands.

From what I hear, there's constant push for it from these outside interests.
When they have something to give back it will happen. Tough to sell out every scruple to the Arabs when we (US&Canada&Mexico) will have the dominate supply of oil and gas reserves in 4 years or so. It's got to make economic sense for American companies before so there is political cover. Example - pulp, textile, tires, batteries, almost everything.

Human factors and comp sci went that way hand-in-hand for decades, but in the last decade and a half it's gone toward what I call the "cyborg" model. Stop fighting to get humans out of the cockpit and replace it with computers, just try to give humans the resources the computers have with better displays and refined data. If you can surround the human with all the computerized information you can get a very cost efficient result.

When they have something to give back it will happen. Tough to sell out every scruple to the Arabs when we (US&Canada&Mexico) will have the dominate supply of oil and gas reserves in 4 years or so. It's got to make economic sense for American companies before so there is political cover. Example - pulp, textile, tires, batteries, almost everything.
It'll be interesting to see what happens to "those" economies that are inflating 15% Y-O-Y...

Human factors and comp sci went that way hand-in-hand for decades, but in the last decade and a half it's gone toward what I call the "cyborg" model. Stop fighting to get humans out of the cockpit and replace it with computers, just try to give humans the resources the computers have with better displays and refined data. If you can surround the human with all the computerized information you can get a very cost efficient result.
Read Digital Apollo. The role of the human in complicated computer/air-spacecraft systems has been a point of discussion since we had computers and air/spacecraft. My own personal belief (as a computer scientist who operates airliners for a living) is that the automation camp has gone too far and it's time to put some emphasis back on being a human operator. I'm hoping that, if anything good comes out of recent accidents, an emphasis on Just Flying The Damn Plane will return.

(Yes, it's okay to just fly the plane. Aviate, navigate, communicate, automate.)

Read Digital Apollo. The role of the human in complicated computer/air-spacecraft systems has been a point of discussion since we had computers and air/spacecraft. My own personal belief (as a computer scientist who operates airliners for a living) is that the automation camp has gone too far and it's time to put some emphasis back on being a human operator. I'm hoping that, if anything good comes out of recent accidents, an emphasis on Just Flying The Damn Plane will return.

(Yes, it's okay to just fly the plane. Aviate, navigate, communicate, automate.)
Damn you I can only read so many books! I'm still trying to get through my comic books. I haven't even cracked into the Bill Lear one. Plus I have football this time of year and all those podcasts that go with it. Is it on an audiobook? Might be my only hope. Maybe @pullup will read it to me before bed.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to "those" economies that are inflating 15% Y-O-Y...
Wait until they find out we are going to whipsaw entire nations next. Only so many emerging economies...

Damn you I can only read so many books! I'm still trying to get through my comic books. I haven't even cracked into the Bill Lear one. Plus I have football this time of year and all those podcasts that go with it. Is it on an audiobook? Might be my only hope. Maybe @pullup will read it to me before bed.

Wait until they find out we are going to whipsaw entire nations next. Only so many emerging economies...

I'll read it to you only if you rub me down with baby oil.

I'll read it to you only if you rub me down with baby oil.
lottle.jpg

Back