Moxy and 60 A220s

Setting the union issue aside, how would the compensation view change if equity was offered?
I'd certainly want one, and would work to that if hired.

It's not even an issue of "us versus them" or purely an industrial concern, but a safety one for me.

I'd certainly want one, and would work to that if hired.

It's not even an issue of "us versus them" or purely an industrial concern, but a safety one for me.

Totally get that - and that's why I wanted to set the issue aside for a second. I get it's not totally realistic but humor me for a second. I was curious what people's numbers would be if equity were offered.

Deregulation never should have happened in the first place.
Suppose we'll chalk this one up to a disagreement.
More people flying more often is a result of deregulation, and little yippy disruptive airlines like SWA (who are now the largest domestic carrier - whoda thunk it in '78), Spirit, Frontier etc. would not exist in their current form without it. The cost pressure works marvels on the legacy airlines to do better, which is the entire point. I believe that's called a "market" too, but that's not my specialty.

Hell, the Atlanta overlords wouldn't exist in their current form without deregulation. I think Delta would be pushing around broke-ass RJs (excuse me, DC-9s) around the southeast corridor without deregulation, instead of the global powerhouse that it is today (and outsourcing that work).

That said, I sure don't appreciate what happened to labor in the process.

Flew with someone who decided that three pumps of cologne a side was a brilliant idea once. In retrospect should have worn an O2 mask, felt like I had a chemical burn in my nostrils.

Captain friend of mine, who's Persian, loads up on the cologne after the flight. Gases me out then offers me a hit, "why? So I can smell like you!"

Not at all. Equity is how startups trick fools into working for no or little money.
And that equity is worthless when the op goes tits up

This type of job may not be for everyone, but there are people who are willing to accept the risk-reward proposition a start up like this would bring. Yes, the stock may be worth zero if the company fails, however it may also be worth hundreds of thousands or even millions if it is successful. Considering the guy's track record, I think it's reasonable to consider an equity offering part of the fair compensation equation.

This type of job may not be for everyone, but there are people who are willing to accept the risk-reward proposition a start up like this would bring. Yes, the stock may be worth zero if the company fails, however it may also be worth hundreds of thousands or even millions if it is successful. Considering the guy's track record, I think it's reasonable to consider an equity offering part of the fair compensation equation.
No.

If I were running a startup I'd almost encourage it. Motivated labor peace and codeterminism, plus a real, established safety infrastructure, versus pissing everyone off post-IPO and dragging it out.

Hey, @Cherokee_Cruiser - does THAT pattern sound familiar?

We had some strong KoolAid drinkers that were anti-union. The FAs attempted to unionize first and we had one prominent pilot write an open letter to FAs about why a union was a bad idea. All the US Air guys were anti-union. So we’re many jaded guys from regionals.

The straw that broke the camel’s back was pre-IPO when they did the internal restructuring and changed the employee holding share from 15.5% to less than 1%.

130 seems awfully low for a 120-140 seater. You're basically talking md80/a319/737-700 ish seats. That's 160 at Allegiant, 190 at Blue&Frontier, 182 at Yellow.
130 is lower than dirtbag ACMI low.

Ah shoot you’re right, I gotta remember that it’s left seat pay!
I always compare to mainline FO pay scale but this would be a left seat from day one gig.

Agreed but it's just a prelim name, will change later.

I'd bet a lot will jump at the high risk, high reward after seeing the WJ and B6 stock millionaires (first few new hire classes). Both companies launched their IPO within about 3 years after startup.
Allow me to put it in terms you understand.

Hiring has begun. Didn't sound like they're looking for line pilots at this point, mostly management, and those to help start the airline. Could be wrong on that as it's very early still. Been swapping emails with one of the executives.
When an airline is in an early startup stage like Moxy, is hiring primarily done by direct recruitment? They wouldn't have a website to post anywhere so it must be through word of mouth (or email).

Back